ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship on married name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

olyag
Newly Registered

Applying for citizenship on married name

Post by olyag » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I have recently changed my surname through marriage on my US passport. However, I have not yet changed my surname on my ILR. I understand I need to submit form NTL to do this. I was wondering whether it is possible to directly submit for naturalisation (I am eligible for this) without changing my surname on my ILR BRP first?
Thank you!

noajthan

Re: Applying for citizenship on married name

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:36 pm

olyag wrote:I have recently changed my surname through marriage on my US passport. However, I have not yet changed my surname on my ILR. I understand I need to submit form NTL to do this. I was wondering whether it is possible to directly submit for naturalisation (I am eligible for this) without changing my surname on my ILR BRP first?
Thank you!
My understanding is: yes.
(As long as change is recent so you don't hit the 'update BRP within 3 months' rule before filing your citizenship application).

HO & HMPO are more concerned about use of the same (one) identity/name on passports.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

olyag
Newly Registered

Post by olyag » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Thank you! So you mean as long as I do not hit the 3 month mark? I have been assuming the name change would be effective from when I changed the name on the US passport (not when I got married..)

At the moment my passport has my married name, and my ILR has my maiden name.

I have three trips already planned in March and May, so really do not want to send in my documents to change the name on my ILR, as I do not know when the UKBA would return them!

I was thinking if I can submit for naturalisation through the council, then I will still have my passport and ILR with me, and then can show my wedding certificate (or old passport) at immigration?

I wish I could find all this information on the Home Office website - but I cannot find anything useful.

Thank you !!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:02 pm

olyag wrote:Thank you! So you mean as long as I do not hit the 3 month mark? I have been assuming the name change would be effective from when I changed the name on the US passport (not when I got married..)

At the moment my passport has my married name, and my ILR has my maiden name.

I have three trips already planned in March and May, so really do not want to send in my documents to change the name on my ILR, as I do not know when the UKBA would return them!

I was thinking if I can submit for naturalisation through the council, then I will still have my passport and ILR with me, and then can show my wedding certificate (or old passport) at immigration?

I wish I could find all this information on the Home Office website - but I cannot find anything useful.

Thank you !!
It would be 3 months from whenever you started using the new name. That might be indicated by the updated passport.

Passport in married name (plus wedding certificate) will be evidence to submit for naturalisation.

Being naturalised in married name means you can shoot for first British passport in married name too.
ILR/BRP will be redundant by then (& to be returned to HO as per new rules).

Hopefuly you are on track to avoid all these sorts of problems:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html

I could not possibly comment about Gov UK website.

Good luck.

olyag
Newly Registered

Post by olyag » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Thank you! That is very helpful!!

One last question. While the documents are being reviewed by the home office for naturalisation, can I travel on my new passport (married name) and existing ILR (with maiden name)?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 pm

olyag wrote:Thank you! That is very helpful!!

One last question. While the documents are being reviewed by the home office for naturalisation, can I travel on my new passport (married name) and existing ILR (with maiden name)?
I think you can.
You will have to wait until you've enrolled biometrics.
(And be aware HO may write to you with any queries at 'any time').

You may have to carry marriage certificate when travelling.