ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave to remain for WP - past scholarship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rs12
Newly Registered

Leave to remain for WP - past scholarship

Post by rs12 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi,

I came to UK for my studies, I have successfully finished it and got a job offer. The company has also got my work permit and I have started work for them one month back.

Now I am required to do the leave to remain application since I got my UK degree now, but a particular question states that if u got scholarship then you must being a letter of consent from the sponsor. I was granted scholarship by my home country government but I cannot get the letter of consent from them.

What are the options in this case ?

My company already has my work permit and is now submitting the leave to remain.

Should I say NO I didnt get any scholarship ? What could be its impact ? How will the govt know about the scholarship if its not a british govt scholarship. Does the home off. contact the University to find the details ?

If I say YES then I have to get a letter from my govt which I cannot get so cant do the FLR appl.

Please experience boarders help me.
Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

rob911

Post by rob911 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Do you mind me asking why you cannot get a letter? Were/Are you required to give your Government a time frame of service past your scholarship? I'd imagine Home Office asks for a letter to protect themselves from Government intervention (ie. Your government requesting your service).

Should this not be the case, you would have to give your reasoning as to why you cannot supply the letter and if this is justifiable then it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't advise that you say no. I went through this process a few months ago. I went in Person and I actually volunteered the letter as they didn't even ask for it.

Once you have the IED theres very little else they look at to be honest. Just make sure you have worked less than 4 months after finishing your studies (either way you'll have to say you've worked less than 4 months or you are in breach of your student conditions)

rs12
Newly Registered

Post by rs12 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi rob,

thanks first for your reply.

To answer your question....the reason I cannot get the letter is because I am supposed to return back to my home country after finishing studies as per the scholarship...but I have reasons to believe that my home country govt wud never ask it as I know how the bureaucracy work

My question arises becoz I got scholarship after I started my studies and when I applied initially for student visa I showed that I am funding myself...Half way thru my studies my govt sponsored me...so I do not know if the home office would have access to this that I was sponsored later as initial appl didnt mention it...

Moreover I was wondering if I say NO, how would the home office know that I was sponsored if I never told them...Only my university knows...But I would want to say YES but I cant get the letter

What do u think are the options...

Also working now is not in breach of visa conditions as I already have the work permit.

Thanks in advance

rob911

Post by rob911 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:12 pm

From my understanding, your Work Permit only kicks in after you obtain the FLR Relating to your WP. Prior to this, you will remain within the terms of your current leave (e.g. Student) untill you gain the corresponding FLR. So I'd be careful with timescales.

You were self sponsored to begin with (I assume your parents?). Should this be the case were you self sponsored then moved to government sponsored and then back to self? Or Self - Government -then graduation?

Either way you have 3 options;

(1) Obtain letter from Government (which I understand you can't)
(2) Obtain letter from original Sponsor consenting you to work in the UK/Wherever you wish.
(3) Tick yes to the question and indicate you were self/parents sponsored (if this is the case you wouldn't imagine you need a letter of consent).

I don't think you can say no on the question as I think the question means 'who sponsored you and are they ok for you to stay on to work?' obviously we were all sponsored by someone (even if it was personal sponsorship). I honestly don't think this is a huge problem but understand your concern.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:47 pm

It is a problem. If a condition of sponsorship was that you return back to your home country to work then you cannot get the FLR. If you lie, you may be in some trouble if you get found out.

Also, if the sponsors find out, they could sue for a refund of fees.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

rs12
Newly Registered

Post by rs12 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:05 am

Thanks Rob and victoria for your replies once again :)

To be specific, the question is if I am sponsored by british govt/international agency/foreign govt. In my case it is a foreign govt.

And it was self-govt-graduation....

Also you mentioned that I need to be aware of time scales and less than 4 months of work is OK but not beyond that. Can you please give me details about that, possibly a link to official site which states that. I have been told that u need to apply for FLR within 6 months of getting the work permit.

Among the options you mentioned Rob, the 2nd and 3rd do not stand as its mentioned about govt and agency funding...

What I heard now from others is that I should be fine if I apply for leave to remain by going back to my home country...I do not know how that should help...but any pointers in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help

rob911

Post by rob911 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:09 pm

Just to clarify; I think it would not be a problem getting past this hurdle as long as you are sure your Government will approve. If you are going to take up employment without your Governments approval- this will be a problem. Moreso if they decide to chase you up at some point, which I'd imagine after thousands of £'s worth in Uni fee's, is a distinct possibility.

I think the correct way of going about this is approaching your Government/Sponsor and advising them of your intentions and persuading them to give you this permission. Otherwise, in reality you will be in breach of your sponsorship terms if you do it any other way (hence why HO ask for a letter of approval).

Don't think theres much more we can say apart from try and get approval Ltr. :?

Have a trawl through google to find the terms of being able to work for only four months after you graduate. Yes you have 6 months to apply for FLR but until you do.. you're still on a student visa.

adindas

Post by adindas » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:56 pm

They could easily find it out from the British Council.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Before you take the Scholarship offer, you are required to sign the term and condition. So in this case you already know and fully aware from the beginning that you have to return home after finishing your study if you take that offer.

I think this is something to do with moral issue. The reason why the UK government offer you the scholarship is to strengthen your government. They expect you to apply the knowledge that you have gained from UK to the benefit of your government and people in your country.

Remember that British government has funded these scholarships using the taxpayers’ money. It is also my money

rs12 wrote:Hi rob,

thanks first for your reply.

To answer your question....the reason I cannot get the letter is because I am supposed to return back to my home country after finishing studies as per the scholarship...but I have reasons to believe that my home country govt wud never ask it as I know how the bureaucracy work

My question arises becoz I got scholarship after I started my studies and when I applied initially for student visa I showed that I am funding myself...Half way thru my studies my govt sponsored me...so I do not know if the home office would have access to this that I was sponsored later as initial appl didnt mention it...

Moreover I was wondering if I say NO, how would the home office know that I was sponsored if I never told them...Only my university knows...But I would want to say YES but I cant get the letter

What do u think are the options...

Also working now is not in breach of visa conditions as I already have the work permit.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by adindas on Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

adindas

Post by adindas » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:06 pm

He needs permission from the British Council not from his government. I know very well that all UK government funded scholarships are administered by the British Council. This includes FCO (scholarship, British Chevening (scholarship, etc.

rob911
Just to clarify; I think it would not be a problem getting past this hurdle as long as you are sure your Government will approve.