ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return BRP for MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mrjsg

Return BRP for MN1

Post by mrjsg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:22 am

Hi ,

Wondering if someone advise pls.

My kid got British citizenship and passport last year after my ILR. But I never returned his BRP card from last visa. Do I need to return BRP now?

I know lots of members went through same route, don't know if they had returned or not? Wondering because HM introduced new fine in latest naturalization form.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Return BRP for MN1

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:25 am

No, you should be fine. The rules and requirement to return BRP only came into effect in January this year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:49 pm

mrjsg wrote:
My kid got British citizenship and passport last year after my ILR. But I never returned his BRP card from last visa. Do I need to return BRP now?
Yes.

Cut up your biometric residence permit and put it in a windowless envelope with a note saying you’re returning your permit because you’ve become a citizen.

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony

CR001 wrote:No, you should be fine. The rules and requirement to return BRP only came into effect in January this year.
The return "within 5 days" started then but in this document called Biometric information: introduction dated 19 May 2015 it states:

Where a person who holds a BRP is granted British citizenship they are required to return
their BRP to the Home Office. It should be sent to:

Freepost RRYX-GLYU-GXHZ
Returns Unit
PO Box 163
Bristol
BS20 1AB

Failure to return a BRP to the Home Office following a grant of British citizenship may result in the issuance of a financial penalty.

Page 9 and 10
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_v5_0.pdf

mrjsg

Post by mrjsg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks CR001 and Petaltop !!