ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applaying for a passport. Post Office requests BRP.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shico
Newly Registered

Applaying for a passport. Post Office requests BRP.

Post by shico » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi all,

When I was applying for the first passports (after naturalization) for me and my family via check & send service, the lady at the post office was insisting that I need to send our BRPs with the applications.
I declined to do it , because
a) We are British Citizens now and as such BRP is not a valid document for us any more
b) It is not mentioned anywhere in the official passport requirements (not in the booklet). The only documents they need are: other passport(s), naturalization certificate, two photos and the application form.
c) Due to the new requirements to send the BRP back within 5 days after attending the ceremony.

She didn't want to take my application before I told her to call her manager, she then went and talked to her manager and came back and took the application but warned, that BRP is still required and that he Passport Office will contact me and I will have to send it to them. I said ok.

So. The questions is - Was she right when she was demanding our BRPs? If so where did she take the requirement from?
Thanks.

noajthan

Re: Applaying for a passport. Post Office requests BRP.

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:26 pm

shico wrote:Hi all,

When I was applying for the first passports (after naturalization) for me and my family via check & send service, the lady at the post office was insisting that I need to send our BRPs with the applications.
I declined to do it , because
a) We are British Citizens now and as such BRP is not a valid document for us any more
b) It is not mentioned anywhere in the official passport requirements (not in the booklet). The only documents they need are: other passport(s), naturalization certificate, two photos and the application form.
c) Due to the new requirements to send the BRP back within 5 days after attending the ceremony.

She didn't want to take my application before I told her to call her manager, she then went and talked to her manager and came back and took the application but warned, that BRP is still required and that he Passport Office will contact me and I will have to send it to them. I said ok.

So. The questions is - Was she right when she was demanding our BRPs? If so where did she take the requirement from?
Thanks.
Your understanding & analysis (a, b, c) seems correct.

I think the C&S lady was incorrect. They do their best but they are not HMPO caseworkers.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mysteryteller
Newly Registered

Re: Applaying for a passport. Post Office requests BRP.

Post by mysteryteller » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Post office people are not well trained and some are just there to cause further delays because they simply dont want to do their job.

They just try to delay the process and some post offices dont even send it same day it could sit in there for days before it reaches hmpo so I would advise to apply online or fill in the form yourself and send. It saves a lot of time and you can track the status of online applications rather than ringing hmpo.