ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-acquiring Indian citizenship

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jain236

Re-acquiring Indian citizenship

Post by jain236 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:32 pm

HI just wondering how easy to renounce your British citizenship and get back the Indian passport back in case of unavoidable situations?

please can anyone help..

all help will be appreciated#

-KJ

mysteryteller
Newly Registered

Re: How easy to renounce your British citizenship?

Post by mysteryteller » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:02 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ip-form-rn

it is pretty much straight forward.

jain236

Post by jain236 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:04 pm

so being a indian citizen before can it get india passport easily or do i have to stay in india for 2 or 5yrs?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:12 pm

jain236 wrote:so being a indian citizen before can it get india passport easily or do i have to stay in india for 2 or 5yrs?
As this isn't a question related to British citizenship, it should probably be raised under the other countries section...

http://www.immigrationboards.com/other-countries/

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Do you have OCI or the erstwhile PIO card? Why do you need to reacquire Indian citizenship?

Renouncing British citizenship will not revive your Indian citizenship. It would make you stateless.

But, because the UK is a signatory to the Convention of the Reduction of Statelessness, it will not allow you to renounce your British citizenship unless you have got another citizenship.

So, if you are serious about the matter, start off the process for reacquire Indian citizenship. One way may be under Section 5(b) of the (Indian) Citizenship Act 1955.

Also, can the mods move this thread to the Other Countries forum, as it is more relevant in that area?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.