ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU or UK ROUTE? WHICH IS BEST IN THIS CASE?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:13 am

Can someone please assist?

My husband's colleague is a German doctor/consultant residing in Scotland. He now wishes to bring over his African partner from Africa, but isn't quite sure how to go about it. They lived together in Africa when he was working there, and he often goes to see her, but he would like her to come and stay in the UK with him permanently.

Is he able to use the EU route, or does he have to apply for her as an unmarried partner under UK rules?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:41 am

See also Can my family members join me in the UK?:
Unmarried partners are also considered as extended family members. We will consider applications for unmarried partners to join you if you are a qualified person in the UK and they meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules for unmarried partners (see our Husbands, wives and partners guidance).
If your German friend has a Permanent right of residence, then see also 21.4.7 Dual nationals / Irish / EEA nationals holding settled status.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:28 pm

How long has he lived in the UK?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks guys.

I had to get back to the person in question to find out for how long he's been living in Scotland. Apparently, 10+ years, and all of them working as a doctor/consultant.

So does this mean he can apply for UPV under UK rules, even though he's never applied for British citizenship (and doesn't wish to)? He asked if he could sponsor her in as a student nurse as another option, but I'm not too sure about that :?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:13 am

Rozen wrote:Thanks guys.

I had to get back to the person in question to find out for how long he's been living in Scotland. Apparently, 10+ years, and all of them working as a doctor/consultant.

So does this mean he can apply for UPV under UK rules, even though he's never applied for British citizenship (and doesn't wish to)? He asked if he could sponsor her in as a student nurse as another option, but I'm not too sure about that :?
For the UPV they'd have to show proof of co-habitation for two years...not sure how it'll work if he's in Scotland and she's (where?). This route may not be feasible if he's only been visiting for short periods of time.

If they don't meet the requirements for the UPV then his options are to either sponsor her as a student or a fiancee visa.