ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

idugelby
Newly Registered

Question about nationality

Post by idugelby » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:35 pm

My grandfather was born in Bolton, UK. Married in Mexico and registred his only son in the British Consulate. I have my grandfather passport, my fathers registry form and passport. Do I have a chance to be British?

Thank you very much

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Question about nationality

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:57 pm

And what year was your father/grandfather born?

Was your father married to your mother?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Also, what nationality/ies do you currently hold?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:20 am

The key question is whether your father was British 'other than [merely] by descent'.

When your father was born, was your grandfather in Mexico on 'Crown Service' or working for an inter-governmental organisation or similar? This could make your father British other than by descent, and then you are probably already British.

If your father was only British by descent, there are limited circumstances in which you may be registered as British if you are under 18. So, are you under 18? How long was your father in the UK before you were born? Are you in the UK now? What about British overseas territories?

Did your father ever renounce British citizenship?