ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kaba

English Language Requirement

Post by Kaba » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the help I got from this forum and sorry for asking for so many questions.

In terms of English language requirement. If somebody does hold a bsc, msc, phd degree taught in the UK or another degree recognised by Unaric and this is enough to meet the English language requirement, why does section 1.23 exist? I mean the English language test should be in the same section as 1.22, right? Or does it mean that we need to take a test approved by the Home Office and degrees taught in English don't count?

Thanks

kamoe
European Union

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by kamoe » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Kaba, you need to be more specific on what type of route (what form) you are requesting info on. I can only assume you are referring to the naturalization form, as it was the one I found while googling 'section 1.23'.

As per the guidance documents, section 1.23 is not mandatory, as you have the choice of several items to prove your language proficiency. Do note the ORs in this list:

Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK
From 12th November 2015, we will only accept English language qualifications from
the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications.
You will need to provide both:
• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by
the Test Supervisor;
and either
• a Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from
the Secure English Language Test list. You should ensure that you state the
test number at section 1.23 of the form);
OR
• confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement
OR
• Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. A print out from the points-based calculator, with the equivalent level of your
degree and the level of English
2. An English language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC (this will also show
us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK
degree)
3. A Statement of Comparability (SoC) from UK NARIC confirming your
qualification is comparable to a UK degree, plus an official letter from your
university with your name, the title of the degree, and that the qualification was
taught in English.
4. An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree
was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except
Canada), plus and original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming that
the equivalent level of your degree,
OR
• Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English
speaking country

So to answer your question, section 1.23 is there in case you actually need it. You do not need it if you are proving your language proficiency in some other way.

Guidance doc: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hanges.pdf
Last edited by kamoe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Kaba wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the help I got from this forum and sorry for asking for so many questions.

In terms of English language requirement. If somebody does hold a bsc, msc, phd degree taught in the UK or another degree recognised by Unaric and this is enough to meet the English language requirement, why does section 1.23 exist? I mean the English language test should be in the same section as 1.22, right? Or does it mean that we need to take a test approved by the Home Office and degrees taught in English don't count?

Thanks
Moved this to BC forum.

Q1.23 is an extension of Q1.22
See relevant clause in Q1.22 for non-degree holders.
Think of it as a mini-English test :wink:

See forum FAQs on English too:
british-citizenship/faqs-english-langua ... 98118.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Kaba

Post by Kaba » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry for defining the question properly.

What I wanted to ask is: If you hold for example an MSc degree taught in the UK, there is no need to fulfil the language requirement of question 1.23 in the British Naturalization form issued in January 2016. Is that right?

Thanks

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:50 am

What I wanted to ask is: If you hold for example an MSc degree taught in the UK, there is no need to fulfil the language requirement of question 1.23 in the British Naturalization form issued in January 2016. Is that right?

Thanks
Having a UK degree does not exempt you from the English requirement. In this case you use the UK degree to satisfy the English requirment. There is no need for UK Naric or PBS Calculator, just the UK degree will suffice.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks
An applicant will only fill in Q1.23 if they are using a SELT as proof of English.

An applicant submitting a degree as proof will not fill in Q1.23

Kaba

Post by Kaba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi there,

Thanks guys. So I can use my MSc degree taught in the UK to meet the english requirement and ignore question 1.23 :).

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 pm

Kaba wrote:Hi there,

Thanks guys. So I can use my MSc degree taught in the UK to meet the english requirement and ignore question 1.23 :).

Thanks
Yes I think you can.
Good luck.