ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

me ILR and Wife US citizen... best route to be together

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

talharana78
Newly Registered

me ILR and Wife US citizen... best route to be together

Post by talharana78 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:55 am

HI dear,
i am going to marry US citizen, 2 scanarios i am facing

1) shall i bring her in uk on spouse visa straight away or she can enter on visit visa and if she tells at airport she have husband here,wont they ask she nee to apply a dependent visa and they wont send her back. initially she want to visit uptill 5/6 months to see how uk is like.
2) is there any excepton for US citizens to get uk citizenship early if they marry wit uk citizen,which is the shortest route for her or for me to get US/UK nationality.

i think i need bit of future planning here.... any help will be highly appreciated.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: me ILR and Wife US citizen... best route to be together

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:47 am

If your wife only intends to spend a short time in the UK to determine whether she likes it here, then a Spouse Settlement visa wouldn't be appropriate.
She could apply for a visitor visa which will allow her no longer than 6 months in the UK. However, she would have to submit evidence of strong ties to the US, e.g employment, property ownership, study, family etc in order to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that she won't overstay her visa. This may be difficult when you (her husband) are living in the UK. Entering as a non-visa national isn't advisable as she would still need to carry with her the same evidence that would have been submitted in a visa application, to enable the Immigration Officer at Border Control to make a decision on entry.
It would also be wise to ask for less than 6 months in the initial visitor visa application.

The Spouse Settlement visa application requires documented evidence of your ability as her sponsor to meet the minimum annual income level of £18,600.
Without earnings you would need £62,500 in savings, held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months. These can be joint savings. Proof of a genuine relationship and adequate accommodation is also mandatory. The visa fee will rise on April 6th to £1,195 (currently £956). The route to permanent settlement is 5 years, (2.5 years + 2.5 years). After Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is granted after the 5 year period, if she is married to you as a British Citizen she would then qualify for BC, assuming she meets all the standard requirements. There is no shorter route.
If applying for a Spouse visa, she will also have to pay the NHS Surcharge of £600 online before submitting her visa application.
Additional visa fees are required at each stage of the 5 year settlement process.

Bear in mind that it isn't possible to switch to a Spouse visa (or any other category of visa) from within the UK while your wife is here as a visitor.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

I've moved your post to the correct forum.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:16 am

talharana78 wrote:HI dear,
i am going to marry US citizen, 2 scanarios i am facing

2) is there any excepton for US citizens to get uk citizenship early if they marry wit uk citizen,which is the shortest route for her or for me to get US/UK nationality.

i think i need bit of future planning here.... any help will be highly appreciated.
No short cuts for US citizens - this is a democracy, all world citizens treated equally.

There is no real advantage in marrrying a BC and seeking the privilege of citizenship.
There is just a minor 1-year saving in the overall timeline due to having a BC spouse.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

talharana78
Newly Registered

Post by talharana78 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:55 am

Thanks a Lot casa.
for detailed reply...
we are happily married, but she is living in USA and me in UK.
i am planning to visit USA for about 20 days in this july, what you suggest a visit visa will serve the purpose?
or family visa, as visit visa is only for business or pleasure....but as i am going to visit my wife, would it fall under visitor visa? any suggestions

Casa wrote:If your wife only intends to spend a short time in the UK to determine whether she likes it here, then a Spouse Settlement visa wouldn't be appropriate.
She could apply for a visitor visa which will allow her no longer than 6 months in the UK. However, she would have to submit evidence of strong ties to the US, e.g employment, property ownership, study, family etc in order to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that she won't overstay her visa. This may be difficult when you (her husband) are living in the UK. Entering as a non-visa national isn't advisable as she would still need to carry with her the same evidence that would have been submitted in a visa application, to enable the Immigration Officer at Border Control to make a decision on entry.
It would also be wise to ask for less than 6 months in the initial visitor visa application.

The Spouse Settlement visa application requires documented evidence of your ability as her sponsor to meet the minimum annual income level of £18,600.
Without earnings you would need £62,500 in savings, held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months. These can be joint savings. Proof of a genuine relationship and adequate accommodation is also mandatory. The visa fee will rise on April 6th to £1,195 (currently £956). The route to permanent settlement is 5 years, (2.5 years + 2.5 years). After Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is granted after the 5 year period, if she is married to you as a British Citizen she would then qualify for BC, assuming she meets all the standard requirements. There is no shorter route.
If applying for a Spouse visa, she will also have to pay the NHS Surcharge of £600 online before submitting her visa application.
Additional visa fees are required at each stage of the 5 year settlement process.

Bear in mind that it isn't possible to switch to a Spouse visa (or any other category of visa) from within the UK while your wife is here as a visitor.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

I've moved your post to the correct forum.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:23 am

Congratulations on your marriage.
Your post isn't clear as it appears you're asking about your visit to the US. :?: Are you asking about a UK visitor visa for your wife? If so it will be a family visitor visa under the Standard visitor visa main category.
What evidence will she be able to submit to prove strong ties to the US?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.