ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

english language/test requirement - degree taught overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nash45
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: english language/test requirement - degree taught overse

Post by nash45 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
nash45 wrote:The same PBS link I followed before and I got 30 points using category as Tier 1 General . Now there is no such option . I selected skilled workers and followed the link and got 10 points for English Language. But in the UKBA document they are asking more than 20 points for degree and 10 points for English Language.
so Little confused. can you help me out please.
I managed to find the UKBA reference where it states you require more than 20 points... I had never seen this before. For T1G Qualifications the options available to score points are: bachelors = 30, masters = 35, PhD = 40|50, so the reference to 20 points was slightly confusing to me as well. I however take that to imply that you need at least a PBS recognised Bachelors degree to score any points under that section.

As there is no longer a PBS calculator option for T1G, (as the home office stopped extensions for this immigration since April 6th, 2015) and there does not appear to be any other immigration category you can select to confirm that your degree scores 30 or more points. All other immigration categories just provide the option to score 10 points (using your degree) for the English level alone. (So there is no way you can get a PBS printout which shows the following...
A printout from the points-based calculator, confirming the equivalent level of the degree, and that it was taught or researched in English. The printout must show the degree has been awarded at least 20 points, and an additional 10 points for English language.

Given this, and the fact that there is no reference to a PBS printout in the AN form or guidance, I would ask this question from the Home office to get confirmation on whether a NARIC letter is now required by those who have a degree taught overseas - to confirm that the degree both meets the recognised standard of a BSc/MSc/PhD and was also taught in English.

Thank You . luckily I have taken a screen shot before in which it was showing for the Bachelors Degree 30 points and as well the screen shot for english language 10 points. I hope the print outs will be sufficient. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank You

Rajuk09
Member of Standing

Post by Rajuk09 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:48 am

Hi cs95tdg
I tried both those emails , both came back with auto reply with some basic points and its clarifications. Like before Application , After application etc. So both emails did not work for me :-(

I do have a PBS out PDF file which I took when I was switching from Work permit to Tier 1 G ,taken during March 2010 , with old salaries. But it does have 10 points for English and 35 points for my Master degree. Can I use this old Printout ?

Kind regards
Raj

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 am

Rajuk09 wrote:I tried both those emails , both came back with auto reply with some basic points and its clarifications. Like before Application , After application etc. So both emails did not work for me :-(
I have previously written to the settlement ops email address to make enquiries, and received the automated reply you refer to. However independent to this I have also received an email addressing my question, but the time taken to receive a response has been varied. I've usually received responses back in 5 working days, so would give it a few days to see if you receive a response.
I do have a PBS out PDF file which I took when I was switching from Work permit to Tier 1 G ,taken during March 2010 , with old salaries. But it does have 10 points for English and 35 points for my Master degree. Can I use this old Printout ?
If you don't get a response to the above after a week or so & you need to apply soon, then yes I'd try using the evidence you have suggested & see what the NCS staff say.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:05 am

nash45 wrote: luckily I have taken a screen shot before in which it was showing for the Bachelors Degree 30 points and as well the screen shot for english language 10 points. I hope the print outs will be sufficient. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Please see suggestion made to Raj above.

G M

Post by G M » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Dear All,

Great forum to be in.

I want to submit an application for my wife who holds a professional qualification in English (She holds qualification in - Doctor of Pharmacy from Pakistan).

Which document should i order to UK Naric?
Statement of comparability or English language assessment. In order to prove her degree is equivalent to UK Bachelors/Masters or PHD. Uk naric already confirmed that its equivalent to UK Bachelors degree.

What document would UKBA accept and exempt her from english language requirement?

Thanking in advance.

tehminamazher
Member of Standing

Post by tehminamazher » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Hi GM,

I am sharing you my experience with UK Naric.
Previoulsy when I applied for ILR thay have written in ELA letter that Masters Degree does not meet level CEFR C1
Buyt last month I rang them and they said that now they are evaluating degrees to all the levels so I requested ELA again now for the same Master degree they have written that it meets level B1.
You should order English lnaguage assessment from UK Naric again , if its within three months they will do it for free , you only have the postage.
If its over 3 months you have to pay £14.40 + 1.50 Postage = £15.90

If still in doubt ring UK Naric on 01242 258611/ 01242 260010 to discuss

Hope this helps.

I have my appointment tomorrow do pray for me.

G M

Post by G M » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi. Many thanks for your reply. Like I mentioned my wife wants her equivalency for her qualification obtained in Pakistan. Which would satisfy ukba requirement of English language assessment for a dependent wife of my wife to join me in uk. Is it English Language assessment or Statement of comparability to proof her degree is equivalent to a bachelors degree of uk

Many thanks

tehminamazher
Member of Standing

Post by tehminamazher » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi GM

I have gone for both statement of comparibility and English language Assessement

Statement of Comparibilty compared ny Masters degree to to Standard UK bachelors degree.

English language Assessment stated that my degree meets B1 CFER level
Note: I have also provided a Letter from University that the medium of instruction was English.

G M

Post by G M » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi Tehmina,

Many thanks for your reply. Fair enough if you attached both than that would definately meet the requirement. However if we only go for SOC that would clearly prove that her degree is equivalent to standard Bachelor degree of Uk which would automatically meet the English language Cerf requirement as Uk bachelor degree meet the standard of cerf assessment requirement.

Do you think SOC only would exempt her from English language requirement? Please let me know.
Am only confused because on Uk Naric website it says that ELA is for settlement and joining a family in Uk whereas on SOC it doesn't say anything

Thanking in advance

Thanks

tehminamazher
Member of Standing

Post by tehminamazher » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi GM,

Wait for someone more experienced to comment.

Thanks

G M

Post by G M » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 am

Hi. Is there any one who can confirm me which is the best source of document to meet The requirement of English language exemption.

You have an academic qualification recognised by Uk Naric as equivalent to the standard of a Bachelor degrees, Masters degree or PHd in Uk and must be taught in English.

To meet this should I order Statement of comparability or English Language assessment as my wife degree from Pakistan was taught in English and is equivalent to a standard Bachelors degree of Uk.
Thanking in advance

devilish
Newly Registered

Post by devilish » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi Friends/ Moderators

Reading through a lot of posts regarding English language requirement for Naturalization has confused me a bit ( Possibly have read some posts before Nov 2015).

I got my ILR on 14th Oct 2013 and hence satisfied the English Language Requirement and Education Points via my Bachelors degree from Mumbai University. Still have the PBS calculator printout which confirm this.

Now some rules changed on 28th Oct 2015 and as per new rules I have to prove I meet English Language Requirement by taking Trinity College B1 Test ( Cost GBP 150) or get a certificate from UK Naric (GBP 130) which would confirm that my degree is equivalent to UK GCSE Level 5 or above. Is this correct?

Also will UKBA accept an old PBS calculator printout anymore? Don't think its a good idea but just wanted to check with more experienced guys?

Regards

Devilish

devilish
Newly Registered

Post by devilish » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi Friends/ Moderators,

Please can someone assist me with the below query

"Reading through a lot of posts regarding English language requirement for Naturalization has confused me a bit ( Possibly have read some posts before Nov 2015).

I got my ILR on 14th Oct 2013 and hence satisfied the English Language Requirement and Education Points via my Bachelors degree from Mumbai University. Still have the PBS calculator printout which confirm this.

Now some rules changed on 28th Oct 2015 and as per new rules I have to prove I meet English Language Requirement by taking Trinity College B1 Test ( Cost GBP 150) or get a certificate from UK Naric (GBP 130) which would confirm that my degree is equivalent to UK GCSE Level 5 or above. Is this correct?

Also will UKBA accept an old PBS calculator printout anymore? Don't think its a good idea but just wanted to check with more experienced guys? "

Regards

Devilish

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:28 pm

@devilish - rather than tag your question (twice) onto a topic that was started in 2013, please create your own topic / thread with your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.