ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contracting with umbrella company close to renewing FLR(M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jordan G
Newly Registered

Contracting with umbrella company close to renewing FLR(M)

Post by Jordan G » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:26 pm

My partner has about four months remaining until he can apply for his next FLR(M). I am currently in permanent employment that covers the income requirement. Recently, though, a couple of great contracting opportunities have come up that I would really like to consider.

After speaking to an immigration solicitor, it looks like it might be very risky and complicated to become self-employed so close to the reapplication date. However, I'm wondering if working under an umbrella company for the next six months might be a viable alternative? I would effectively be an employee of another company on a short-term contract.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, even if it's to just wait out the next few months to avoid trouble! :) I don't mind a bit more complexity in my application, but I don't want to hurt our chances of the next visa being granted.

Jordan G
Newly Registered

Re: Contracting with umbrella company close to renewing FLR(

Post by Jordan G » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:24 am

I've given this some more thought. I believe, though am not certain, that income from an umbrella company would be counted as non-salaried employment. Since we would be applying with a combination of salaried and non-salaried employment, that means applying under Category B. By those rules:
Where the person is in non-salaried employment – the level of gross annual employment income relied upon in the application can be no greater than the annual equivalent of the person’s average gross monthly income from non-salaried employment in the 6 months prior to the date of application, regardless of whether that employment was held throughout that period. The calculation will include all non-salaried employment undertaken during that 6 month period, and will be calculated over that 6 month period regardless of how much of that period was spent in employment.
Let's say I get a day rate of £350 and work 20 days/month, which works out to £7,000 monthly income. (Minus some fee from the umbrella company.) If I understand correctly, on two months' income, my annual equivalent would be:

(0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 7,000 + 7,000 ÷ 6) × 12
= (14,000 ÷ 6) × 12
= 2,333.33 × 12
= £28,000

Of course, I really, really don't want to get this wrong! :) I'd rather miss out on a good role than create trouble for our next FLR(M). If anyone can spot something I'm missing or could double-check my reasoning, I'd really appreciate it!