ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difference between ILR sticker and No Time Limit words

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

msh2503
Newly Registered

Post by msh2503 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 pm

My wife & I were given indefinite leave to remain in the UK in 2004. Both our passports got the new sticker. Unfornately my wife's passport expired and there no embassy in the UK or EU to issue her a new passport.

She applied for a Travel Document and the HO office issued her a 5-year Certificate of Identity (Brown) on the basis that there is no embassy in the UK.

The Certificate of Identity (brown) does not have the new sticker instead it is written 'HOME OFFICE REFERENCE NUMBER H1234567 - THERE IS AT PRESENT NO TIME LIMIT ON THE HOLDER'S STAY IN THE UK' and a Home office stamp at the bottom of the last page (IND).

I would like to know the following:

1. Is the HO has the right to keep her expired passport with the Indefinite Leave to remain sticker
2. Is there a difference between the written words on the Identity Certifcate and the Indefinite Leave to remain sticker.
3. Is the Ceriticate of Identity valid to all EU countries without visa

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:45 pm

1. She should request her expired passport back.
2. No difference. The No Time Limit (NTL) endorsement may be given to existing ILR holders' new/subsequent passports/travel documents.
3. See also Travel arrangements (Important information)
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jes2jes

Re: Difference between ILR sticker and No Time Limit words

Post by jes2jes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:51 pm

Thanks Vinny.
Praise The Lord!!!!

msh2503
Newly Registered

Post by msh2503 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 pm

vinny wrote:1. She should request her expired passport back.
2. No difference. The No time Limit endorsement may be given to existing ILR holders' new/subsequent passports/travel documents.
3. See also Travel arrangements (Important information)
Thanks vinny

Yes I did request the passport but the HO said a person can not hold two passport at the same time and they will keep it until the Certifcate of Identity is returned. My wife can not renew her passport overseas without showing the original passport. I wrote another letter to HO requesting the Passport and still waiting.

Thanks

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

You don't need the original passport back. The travel document proves her right to remain in the UK.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 pm

msh2503 wrote:
Thanks vinny

Yes I did request the passport but the HO said a person can not hold two passport at the same time and they will keep it until the Certifcate of Identity is returned. My wife can not renew her passport overseas without showing the original passport. I wrote another letter to HO requesting the Passport and still waiting.

Thanks[/quote]

Unlikely. What about dual nationality? and the passport is expired so that statement just doesn't hold

msh2503
Newly Registered

Post by msh2503 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:04 pm

SYH wrote:
msh2503 wrote:
Unlikely. What about dual nationality? and the passport is expired so that statement just doesn't hold
Thanks SYH

Sorry about the confussion, the HO said that my wife can not carry Certificate of Identity and a National Passport at the same. The reason the Certificate of Identity is issued is that she can not get a passport in UK.

Wrote a letter to the HO and finaly the Passport is returned.
Last edited by msh2503 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msh2503
Newly Registered

Post by msh2503 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:25 pm

In regard to Certificate of Identity visas, there is an inconsistency between the Schengen group of countries. See below:

French Emabssy:
Please note that the British Certificate of Identity (brown document) is not recognised by the French authorities as a valid travel document. Holders of such documents can therefore not be issued with a visa to France.

Dutch Embassy
Applications for holders of a Certificate of Identity and non-UK residents may take up to three months to process.

Holders of a Certificate of Identity with limited leave to remain in the United Kingdom are not recognized by the BENELUX (Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg) countries.

Switzerland (email from the embassy)
The Swiss Embassy does not give visas to people with a CID passport
(only in emergencies).

Your wife must wait with her travels to Switzerland until she gets the
British passport.

Yours sincerely
Beatrice Hambrook
Embassy of Switzerland
16-18 Montagu Place, London W1H 2BQ
UK

This seems to me people with CID are descriminated.

Thompson
Newly Registered

Post by Thompson » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Hello,
Similar question but different case here.
1. What's the difference between the ILR and NTL?
2. Is NTL only given to the accompanied foreign passport of the person has applied or obtained the British Citizen, not the non British Citizen?
3. In the case of dual passport, does anyone who has obtained British Citizen will be marked on her/his foreign passport (or NTL card?) that he/she is British Citizen, when he/she moves the ILR stamp to his/her new foreign passport?
In the old system, any British Citizen with other foreign passport and ILR stamp on it, will be given the "new stamp" of "Right to Abode", indicating that he/she is British Citizen. Does anyone has real experience on this?

Thanking in advance for your help.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:24 pm

1. None.
2. No.
3. ILR/NTL would be inappropriate for British citizens.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Thompson
Newly Registered

Post by Thompson » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Thank you vinny,

"3. ILR/NTL would be inappropriate for British citizens"

I understand that it is inappropriate, but my question no. 3 is about;
"What will happen if the ILR/NTL holder wants to move the ILR/NTL to his new foreign passport, while he/she has British Citizen?"
As I understand British immigration law doesn't have interest whether a British citizen has another foreign passport, I guess British travelling with foreign passport + ILR/NTL is allowed.

Cheers.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:15 pm

vinny wrote:If they are competent, then they should reject an ILR application from a British citizen.
Similarly, they should reject a NTL application.