ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working & Self-employed & studying & benefits

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LillyPearl
Newly Registered

Working & Self-employed & studying & benefits

Post by LillyPearl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:53 am

I have been living in the UK exercising Treaty rights since 1999, but only decided to apply for documentation now. Here is my question:
In 2011 I was on unpaid leave from my work for part of the year. At the same time I was self-employed (part-time and paying the appropriate NICs) and I was studying (part-time). I was also claiming means tested benefits. I did not have an EHIC from another EEA country, nor did I have health insurance, as I had no idea I needed it at the time (and I was registered as a Home Student, not EU). Can 2011 count as a qualifying year or will my studies be a problem?
Do I have to declare the study, since it was part-time and I was working at the same time?

If 2011 does not count, could I use 2005-2010 as my qualifying years instead of 2010-2015? (which means it will be harder to get all the information required, but not impossible) Or should I just wait until next year to apply?

And another one: my employer has sponsored me to take some courses at university for the past three years (at less than part-time). Am I right in thinking that they do not affect my status? I have not declared a degree and I don't think I ever will.

And a final question about benefits: because the income from self employment was variable, the housing benefit I was getting changed several times over that year. Do I have to record every change in the form or can I give an average and explain in a cover letter?

LillyPearl
Newly Registered

Re: Working & Self-employed & studying & benefits

Post by LillyPearl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:01 am

A quick addition: I notice that proof of sickness insurance etc became a requirement in June 2011. My studies finished in June 2011. I don't suppose that makes any difference, does it?

akz

Post by akz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:35 am

LillyPearl wrote:I have been living in the UK exercising Treaty rights since 1999, but only decided to apply for documentation now. Here is my question:
In 2011 I was on unpaid leave from my work for part of the year. At the same time I was self-employed (part-time and paying the appropriate NICs) and I was studying (part-time). I was also claiming means tested benefits. I did not have an EHIC from another EEA country, nor did I have health insurance, as I had no idea I needed it at the time (and I was registered as a Home Student, not EU). Can 2011 count as a qualifying year or will my studies be a problem?
Do I have to declare the study, since it was part-time and I was working at the same time?

If 2011 does not count, could I use 2005-2010 as my qualifying years instead of 2010-2015? (which means it will be harder to get all the information required, but not impossible) Or should I just wait until next year to apply?

And another one: my employer has sponsored me to take some courses at university for the past three years (at less than part-time). Am I right in thinking that they do not affect my status? I have not declared a degree and I don't think I ever will.

And a final question about benefits: because the income from self employment was variable, the housing benefit I was getting changed several times over that year. Do I have to record every change in the form or can I give an average and explain in a cover letter?

Bro I have same case as you have and now I am waiting for my First tier tribunal decision in a week time. It will answer almost your question. wish me good luck

akz
Happy to help and Happy to be helped

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:16 am

LillyPearl wrote:I have been living in the UK exercising Treaty rights since 1999, but only decided to apply for documentation now. Here is my question:

What is your nationality?
On what basis did you come to UK in 1999?

Note You may have been stamped into UK with ILR (stamp or annotation in original passport)- check original passport.
:arrow: if so you will be settled & no need for PR.

If you need to prove you have acquired PR you can use any 5-year qualifying period.
:idea: Even from 1999, ie even before you country joined EU/EEA.

If you need to include your student years did you have a RC issued to you as student in or before 2011 :?:
If so there is a transitional arrangement that may save your bacon.
:arrow: So do check if you had a RC at that time

Vocational training is fine. It may not detract from worker status.

Yes, declare everything - best be transparent.

:idea: Having said that you don't have to use latest (monster) form, it is not a legal/mandatory requirement.
You can use an earlier (simpler) form. See Gov UK archive website (linkks to be found in this forum).

Or you can 'go commando' and apply by letter - that option probably best left to hardcore applicants only.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

LillyPearl
Newly Registered

Post by LillyPearl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:18 pm

I am Greek, so my country was already in the EU when I moved to the UK in 1995, so I have no stamps in my passports.
I was a student until 1999 (which is why I only mentioned 1999, back then if you were a student you could not count those years towards residency or citizenship, as I was told). Between 1999 and 2010 I was working and self employed and unemployed and working again etc etc etc. so I have five solid years of proof. The problem is "£%£$%$ 2011 (excuse the language).
I have no stamps in my passports, I never had a RC and frankly I never thought of bothering with it until now, when I decided that in the unlikely event of a Brexit, it might be worth having my documentation in order.
I'll stick to the current official application form, as I am too worried of some bureaucrat rejecting the old one for some insignificant reason.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:29 pm

LillyPearl wrote:I am Greek, so my country was already in the EU when I moved to the UK in 1995, so I have no stamps in my passports.
I was a student until 1999 (which is why I only mentioned 1999, back then if you were a student you could not count those years towards residency or citizenship, as I was told). Between 1999 and 2010 I was working and self employed and unemployed and working again etc etc etc. so I have five solid years of proof. The problem is "£%£$%$ 2011 (excuse the language).
I have no stamps in my passports, I never had a RC and frankly I never thought of bothering with it until now, when I decided that in the unlikely event of a Brexit, it might be worth having my documentation in order.
I'll stick to the current official application form, as I am too worried of some bureaucrat rejecting the old one for some insignificant reason.
Understood.
In that case...

To prove you have acquired PR you can use any 5-year qualifying period.
- even from 1999 onwards.
Say 2001 - 2006.

Choose a period avoiding your carefree student years as (without CSI/EHIC/RC) your PR clock will have stopped at that time.
So find 5 years when you have good (if not unimpeachable) documentary supporting evidence of exercising treaty rights as a qualified person.

Suggest print off relevant sections of form - you can use a simpler/earlier version.
Collate all evidence.
Practise filling in form - see how it all shapes up.

Keep scans/copies of all evidence & form you submit - for your reference in case of HO issues later.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.