ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent Biometrics help to enable me to start a new job

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Urgent Biometrics help to enable me to start a new job

Post by mollybird » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi everyone

I received ILR in 2009. Due to financials haven't had the opportunity to apply for citizenship before and just as I was about to last year my marriage broke up and I've been a lone parent for the last 7 months. I am putting in my application for citizenship at the end of February.
I have not worked since 2009 after I had my kids. Yesterday I got offered a job at the council in my local area but through an agency and this morning I went in to do more paperwork. (They first took copies of my passports back in July) they then told me that I don't have a right to work in the uk because my ILR is in my previous expired passport and in my maiden name which I had on me and which I used to travel for a month last year and it's not in my new passport issued in Oct 2014.

I now may not be able to start this job unless I get biometrics done asap. Is that my only option and what is the time line.
I desperately need this job after not working for so long but mainly my ex is not paying maintenance and I have to move house so yesterday's news were so so exciting but I'm in tears now trying to google for information and not finding it anywhere.

Please help me asap.
Thanks

Yes

Shah1234

Re: Urgent Biometrics help to enable me to start a new job

Post by Shah1234 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Sorry to know about your situation.

Your ILR, although is in old passport, but is still valid.

However, you can transfer your visa to your new passport (i.e. get a BRP created). Please follow the instructions in the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

And read the following section when you open the link above, carefully:

You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You can transfer your visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘no time limit stamp’ (NTL).

Use the guidance and the NTL form to apply.

You then should either:

post your form with the fee (use the address on the form)
take your form when you apply in person at a premium service centre

Hope you find a job soon.

Regards,
Rish

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi,
My husband works through an agency, and they had him renew his passport. He did so, and now they wont let him return to work. It's been over 4 weeks since he was at work. We have no money coming in now either. After getting his new passport they said they need his visa in it (ILR) but obviously that isnt actually possible. So we have applied for BRP and are awaiting any kind of letter from them for the reference number so he can return to work.
It's a very stressful situation, and we cant hang on much longer. We have the added issue of all of my husband's forms of official ID are with the Home Office so I dont know if we can even claim anything.
I've searched high and low for timelines for BRP NTL applications and have proved unsuccessful so thought I would add ours here if you don't mind, maybe we can help others that way.

Are you aware that all you need is the reference number from HO to be able to go to work?
Good luck with your application/new job.

BRP NTL
Application sent: 9/02/2016
Application received: 10/02/2016
Payment: Postal order
Acknowledgement letter ?
Biometrics ?

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mollybird » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Shah1234 wrote:Sorry to know about your situation.

Your ILR, although is in old passport, but is still valid.

However, you can transfer your visa to your new passport (i.e. get a BRP created). Please follow the instructions in the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

And read the following section when you open the link above, carefully:

You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You can transfer your visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘no time limit stamp’ (NTL).

Use the guidance and the NTL form to apply.

You then should either:

post your form with the fee (use the address on the form)
take your form when you apply in person at a premium service centre

Hope you find a job soon.

Regards,
Rish
Sorry Rish
I didn't even realised you replied. I have done the above the same day and still waiting on any confirmation. According to the recruitment agency they were willing to keep the job offers for 2 weeks which ends tomorrow.

I am so stressed and it shows that they received my documents on the 8th Feb. Payment was taken on the 9th Feb. I was told I get a letter soon after which has a reference number on which I can give to the agency to check on the Employee's Checking Service but still no letter more than a week and a half.
Spoke to someone at Home Office today and they told me they no longer send this letter out but I'll get a letter after 4-6 weeks to do my biometrics.
So yes I'm totally in a predicament and have no idea how to get out of it.

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mollybird » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm

denise wrote:Hi,
My husband works through an agency, and they had him renew his passport. He did so, and now they wont let him return to work. It's been over 4 weeks since he was at work. We have no money coming in now either. After getting his new passport they said they need his visa in it (ILR) but obviously that isnt actually possible. So we have applied for BRP and are awaiting any kind of letter from them for the reference number so he can return to work.
It's a very stressful situation, and we cant hang on much longer. We have the added issue of all of my husband's forms of official ID are with the Home Office so I dont know if we can even claim anything.
I've searched high and low for timelines for BRP NTL applications and have proved unsuccessful so thought I would add ours here if you don't mind, maybe we can help others that way.

Are you aware that all you need is the reference number from HO to be able to go to work?
Good luck with your application/new job.

BRP NTL
Acknowledgement letter ?
Biometrics ?
Hi Denise

Sorry to hear your husband is in the same position. I've just updated the thread. I'm hoping to talk to someone at Citizens Advice tomorrow after a long call today with them as they were just as shocked that my new passport and my old passport with my ILR was good enough for the benefits office and for travel but it's not good enough for me to work.
No idea what to do and I'm also hoping to get passports back asap so that I can do my English test to apply for citizenship in March before fee increase.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:32 pm

It may help both of you to contact your MP for help to resolve this. If they are willing to intervene with the Home Office on your behalf it can often move things along.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mollybird » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Casa wrote:It may help both of you to contact your MP for help to resolve this. If they are willing to intervene with the Home Office on your behalf it can often move things along.
Thank you Casa

That is what the lady from CAB office said and she said that they can help with that letter as its stupid that I have a job waiting for me that I can't accept and I will move to Job Seekers next month as my youngest will turn 5 and what is the likely hood that I get a job so soon again. So fingers cross we get somewhere tomorrow.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Push the 'desire to work and not be a burden on the State' :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

mollybird wrote: Spoke to someone at Home Office today and they told me they no longer send this letter out but I'll get a letter after 4-6 weeks to do my biometrics.
So yes I'm totally in a predicament and have no idea how to get out of it.
We have also tried to contact HO. We called but cant get through anywhere so we sent an email but who knows how long that will take for the reply.
I really hope it is not 4-6 weeks for the biometrics letter.. we cannot stretch what little money we have past 2 more weeks, also the job will end next month so if he isnt there then there is no chance of an extension to the contract. So stressful! I will update if we hear anything.

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Mollybird can I ask what options you used on the phone to speak to someone please? Husband wants to give it a go. Thanks

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mollybird » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 pm

denise wrote:Mollybird can I ask what options you used on the phone to speak to someone please? Husband wants to give it a go. Thanks
I called this number 0300 123 2241 and when it asked to press numbers I chose the option that said I've put an application in already. It will then ask you again if you are still in the timeframe of your application (I.e. 6 months for biometrics) I pressed the number 2 I think that said I'm passed the cut of time else they will just end your call. First time I got through immediately but part way through lost the call due to my bad signal and second time around I held on for a little while. She then also gave me a number for the agency to check and explained that they can use my passport number that there is no need to wait for the letter. Which I have them. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mollybird » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:19 pm

Casa wrote:Push the 'desire to work and not be a burden on the State' :wink:
That's exactly what I'm hoping to do. Fingers cross it's a better day.

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:47 pm

mollybird wrote: She then also gave me a number for the agency to check and explained that they can use my passport number that there is no need to wait for the letter. Which I have them. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow.
Oh that is fab to hear! Hopefully he will get to speak to someone tomorrow aswell then and we can get the number. If they can do the checks with just the passport number he could be to work again soon. Fingers crossed for both you and him! They sure dont make these things easy do they? I thought after 10 years we were sorted until citizenship, then we found out about this new rule change in january.

mollybird
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mollybird » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:32 am

Yes same for me as well. Was actually going to apply last year then my marriage broke down. So finally ready to write the tests but now found out that even though I can use a drivers licence for proof of ID for Life in the UK test I can't use it for the English test. So need my passport back asap to do English test to submit my docs before end of March before Visa fees increase. I'm so tired off all of this.

Good luck to you both as well

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi mollybird,
Have you managed to get anywhere today?
My husband called the number and was given the one to pass to employer for them to call. We have pretty much got nowhere really. Despite numerous phone calls to the agency worker and chasing, chasing, chasing, we are no further forward for another weekend. I hate it getting to the weekend with no result, especially when they have everything now.
We did find out (as you did) from Home Office, that they no longer send out an acknowledgement letter. Why they haven't told people this is ridiculous. Imagine how many people are sitting waiting in the same position for this reference number to pass to their employer. :(

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:57 pm

Little offtopic question! How come you haven't already done your Life in the UK test before your ILR? Wondering if things changed since hubby got his as he did his before he applied for ILR. Sure hope he doesnt have to do it again! Though we do still have the books! :lol:

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:50 pm

denise wrote:
BRP NTL
Acknowledgement: 22/02/2016 (Text)
Biometrics ?

denise
Newly Registered

Post by denise » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:51 pm

denise wrote:
denise wrote:
BRP NTL
Acknowledgement: 22/02/2016 (Text)
Biometrics letter received: 24/02/2016
Biometrics taken: 25/02/2016
Hubby has now had the "ok" for going back to work tomorrow. Been a long rollercoaster of a number of weeks so we are pleased its sorted for now.

I hope things are going ok with you mollybird

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Good to hear it's all sorted at last. :)
(Casa, not CR001)