ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

no comprehensive sickness insurance

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

no comprehensive sickness insurance

Post by Sakura.m » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:44 pm

I am new in the forum.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask for an information.
My question is about self sufficient person. I am NOT applying for a certificate of residence, I just want to know if I am missing somenthing.
I am an eea national and I moved in Uk with my husband (eea national) about 3 years ago. At the time we moved we were engaged and started to live togheter the same day we moved. He found a job immeditely, I didn't. Following what is written on the government website: "EEA nationals are entitled to reside in the UK for an initial period of three months without needing to exercise a Treaty right. An EEA national who will be in the UK for more than three months will have a right of residence for as long as they remain a qualified person." My husband was a qualified person because he was working. I was at the beginning a qualified person because I was a jobseeker. The website says: "In most circumstances we would expect an EEA national to be economically active within six months. It is highly likely that an individual claiming a right of residence as a job-seeker will also be exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person." So I think I became a self sufficient person because my husband (at that time fiancee) provided for me. I don't work.
I didn't have (and I still don't have) any comprehensive sickness insurance cover. I have just the ehic my country gave to me but when I moved I lost the right to use it in another country. My questions are:
1) was the comprehensive sickness insurance a mandatory requirement to stay in Uk ? Can it be a problem whit the authorities ?
2) Now I am a family member of a qualified person, do I still need a comprehensive sickness insurance to live here ? I read about apply for a ehic in uk, is this the same?
3) the comprehensive sickness insurance is just a matter when applyng for certificate of residence ? Can I still live here without it ?
Thank you very much for you time.
Kind regards.

noajthan

Re: no comprehensive sickness insurance

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Sakura.m wrote:I am new in the forum.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask for an information.
My question is about self sufficient person. I am NOT applying for a certificate of residence, I just want to know if I am missing somenthing.
I am an eea national and I moved in Uk with my husband (eea national) about 3 years ago. At the time we moved we were engaged and started to live togheter the same day we moved. He found a job immeditely, I didn't.

Following what is written on the government website: "EEA nationals are entitled to reside in the UK for an initial period of three months without needing to exercise a Treaty right. An EEA national who will be in the UK for more than three months will have a right of residence for as long as they remain a qualified person."

My husband was a qualified person because he was working. I was at the beginning a qualified person because I was a jobseeker. The website says: "In most circumstances we would expect an EEA national to be economically active within six months. It is highly likely that an individual claiming a right of residence as a job-seeker will also be exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person."
So I think I became a self sufficient person because my husband (at that time fiancee) provided for me. I don't work.

I didn't have (and I still don't have) any comprehensive sickness insurance cover. I have just the ehic my country gave to me but when I moved I lost the right to use it in another country.

My questions are:
1) was the comprehensive sickness insurance a mandatory requirement to stay in Uk ? Can it be a problem whit the authorities ?
2) Now I am a family member of a qualified person, do I still need a comprehensive sickness insurance to live here ? I read about apply for a ehic in uk, is this the same?
3) the comprehensive sickness insurance is just a matter when applyng for certificate of residence ? Can I still live here without it ?

Thank you very much for you time.
Kind regards.
You are welcome here.
And don't worry you have posted in the correct forum (EEA).

1) Relax. In your case, no need for CSI.

As your good husband is an EEA national and is working (i.e. he is exercising treaty rights as a qualified person) then you can be considered his direct family member & dependent.

As such you do not have to exercise treaty rights in your own right.
You do not need to claim you are self-sufficient.
Consequently you do not need CSI.

2) Yes, you are a direct family member.

No CSI necessary.
See #1.

No, a UK-issued EHIC will not be accepted as CSI. (But you don't need one as such).

3) In your case (with EEA national spouse as your sponsor) you don't need CSI even to apply for a RC.

:arrow: Just carry on and live your life - you can even use the NHS if you require it.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

Post by Sakura.m » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Thank you noajthan for you answer.
What about the period we were not married but just living toghether ?
Did I need a CSI ? I had just the ehic my country gave to me but when I moved I lost the right to use it in another country (This to me is a contraddiction if you need it to apply for PR). Could this be a problem of any kind with the law if I didn't have it ?
I know it sound absourd but I only read about it yesterday because I thouth as eea national I didn't need all this
"stuff". I just want to reside here lawfully.
Thank you again.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Sakura.m wrote:Thank you noajthan for you answer.
What about the period we were not married but just living toghether ?
Did I need a CSI ? I had just the ehic my country gave to me but when I moved I lost the right to use it in another country (This to me is a contraddiction if you need it to apply for PR). Could this be a problem of any kind with the law if I didn't have it ?
I know it sound absourd but I only read about it yesterday because I thouth as eea national I didn't need all this
"stuff". I just want to reside here lawfully.
Thank you again.
Don't worry you are not the first in this situation - and you won't be the last.

You are not a criminal and you won't be in trouble with authorities nor arrested/deported.
You have EU rights under the treaty.

You can't backdate CSI anyway as it is a type of insurance.

Just continue as the decent, hard-working & law-abiding people that you are.

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

Post by Sakura.m » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:57 pm

Thank you very much noajtan.
I know I am annoying but I want to be sure.
I just remembered that after 2 months we where here we claimed housing benefits for about 8 months.
My husband was employed I was jobseeker. The council didn't ask about right ti reside or other things. Can this be a problem if then I was a qualified person (with no CSI) claiming benefits ?
Can they ask to have the benefits back or they can report me ?

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

Post by Sakura.m » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Just a clarification: I was jobseeker meaning I was looking for work I was not registered for JSA or something.
I was just receiving housing benefits I didn't know I wasn't entitled to receive as self sufficient person. I am so worried I made a terrible mistake.
Besides, there is a website/document where I can find what you said about: you are a direct family member. No CSI necessary ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Sakura.m wrote:Just a clarification: I was jobseeker meaning I was looking for work I was not registered for JSA or something.
I was just receiving housing benefits I didn't know I wasn't entitled to receive as self sufficient person. I am so worried I made a terrible mistake.
Besides, there is a website/document where I can find what you said about: you are a direct family member. No CSI necessary ?
You are panicking now - for no good reason.
You are covered by your partner/spouse.

Get a coffee or herbal tea and start here - about qualified persons:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

Direct family members:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf

Forum FAQs is a good read too:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 14867.html

emily666
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by emily666 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:16 pm

Just a question. Since you and your husband are both EEA, why do you need RC? Isn't RC for EEA's spouse who is not from EEA?

Thank you.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:22 pm

emily666 wrote:Just a question. Since you and your husband are both EEA, why do you need RC? Isn't RC for EEA's spouse who is not from EEA?

Thank you.
Based on OP's initial post:

emily666
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by emily666 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

noajthan wrote:
emily666 wrote:Just a question. Since you and your husband are both EEA, why do you need RC? Isn't RC for EEA's spouse who is not from EEA?

Thank you.
Based on OP's initial post:
Thank you. I saw this line as well. But i thought EEA members do not need to apply any RC to illustrate that they are qualified person or something. Is it right?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:28 am

emily666 wrote:Thank you. I saw this line as well. But i thought EEA members do not need to apply any RC to illustrate that they are qualified person or something. Is it right?
EEA nationals do have the option of applying for a confirmatory Residence Certificate.
Some do.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:42 am

However, if they are applying for British citizenship, then they require confirmation of PR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

Post by Sakura.m » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:22 am

So, it is not mandatory to apply for a residence certificate just to let the authority know that I am the family member of a qualified person, right ? I have the option to do it if I want.
Is this true even if the marriage was celebrated (and registered) in our eea country of origin (not UK) and the wife keeps her surname ?
Thank you.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:32 am

Sakura.m wrote:So, it is not mandatory to apply for a residence certificate just to let the authority know that I am the family member of a qualified person, right ? I have the option to do it if I want.
Is this true even if the marriage was celebrated (and registered) in our eea country of origin (not UK) and the wife keeps her surname ?
Thank you.
Yes RC is optional (but obviously useful) for direct family members.

You will ofcourse have to submit evidence of id, of relationship (marriage) & etc when it comes to applying for a confirmation of PR card.

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

Post by Sakura.m » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:34 am

Thank you. What do you mean by useful ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:53 am

Sakura.m wrote:Thank you. What do you mean by useful ?
It means the RC holder can prove their status, for example to potential employers, landlords & even to UK border officials.

Sakura.m
Newly Registered

Post by Sakura.m » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am

thank you. Can border officials ask for a RC even if I am a eea nationals ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Sakura.m wrote:thank you. Can border officials ask for a RC even if I am a eea nationals ?
EEA nationals can have a residence certificate (again optional).

I suppose an official could ask if an EEA national had one (& to see it).
But they would probably be more likely to simply check EEA passport.