ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Belgium - Non EU Spouse to Remain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Elysium6
Newly Registered

Belgium - Non EU Spouse to Remain

Post by Elysium6 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Hello,

I am a US Citizen, married & living in Belgium, to a Belgian citizen. We were married nearly 3 years ago in the US. I have received my temporary residency (orange) card, and have about one month left to provide the required documents to stay.

The problem is...my husband has not been able to find employment since returning to Belgium in October. He is actively seeking employment with proof. I am currently enrolled in the required language & integration courses, as well as registering with VDAB myself.

We are both very nervous about the job situation. We are still currently living with family & both have health insurance. It states on many Belgian immigration sites, that my husband can prove he is seeking employment...but is that sufficient to allow me to stay? We will have our own apartment in early March.

Is there a possible affidavit of support for a family member? Or any other options?

Thank You!

noajthan

Re: Belgium - Non EU Spouse to Remain

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Elysium6 wrote:Hello,

I am a US Citizen, married & living in Belgium, to a Belgian citizen. We were married nearly 3 years ago in the US. I have received my temporary residency (orange) card, and have about one month left to provide the required documents to stay.

The problem is...my husband has not been able to find employment since returning to Belgium in October. He is actively seeking employment with proof. I am currently enrolled in the required language & integration courses, as well as registering with VDAB mysellf.

Is there a possible affidavit of support for a family member? Or any other options?

Thank You!
Sponsor can be exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person.
You (probably) need CSI & able to show you're not a burden to state social/welfare system.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:26 pm

This may help you get up to speed on free movement;
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf

- ofcourse there may be a few updates coming after this weekend's events & various announcements :!:

Elysium6
Newly Registered

Post by Elysium6 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Thank you for your reply, however I am not sure how that relates to me being I am a US citizen, not UK. I'm confused.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 pm

I fear Noajthan is under the misapprehension that you are in Belgium in the capacity of a non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen, and therefore protected by Directive 2004/38/EC, whereas you are probably in Belgium under purely Belgian immigration law.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Elysium6 wrote:Thank you for your reply, however I am not sure how that relates to me being I am a US citizen, not UK. I'm confused.
You are with an EEA national so assumed you are on EU migration route.

If that is not the case ie Belgian citizen has not returned to Belgium with you (after living/working elsewhere in Europe) then that is my misunderstanding.

Elysium6
Newly Registered

Post by Elysium6 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks for trying to clarify...however, I am still in the weeds :?

My husband is a native Belgian, and yes, he is in Belgium with me. We both returned to Belgium in October (he lived with me in the US for a few years prior to returning to Belgium).

Since his return, he hasn't been able to find a job. So, I was wondering if it is possible to remain with him in Belgium while he is still seeking employment.

We are trying to find answers to our questions locally as well, but thought I would try here as well.

Thank You!