ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proving Residency With No Passport Stamps??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ekristensen
Newly Registered

Proving Residency With No Passport Stamps??

Post by ekristensen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:20 am

Hi, I'm hoping someone will kindly be able to help me with this problem!

I'm applying for citizenship; I first arrived in the UK with ILR in 1995 as a child and have lived here ever since.

I had to get a new passport from my country of birth this past June (2015), and I cannot for the life of me find my latest expired passport that would prove my exits/entries to the UK as part of the Residency Requirement (2.2) section. However I've managed to piece together every single absence through meticulously kept plane tickets (I've only been absent approx. 80 days in the 5 years total).

My question is: would these airline tickets corroborating my days absent suffice as evidence? What else can I provide as proof in lieu of my old passport?

So far I have also gathered the following documents (showing my name, address & dates) to prove I have been in the UK continuously for the past 5 years:
  • GP registration letter (NHS)
    Voter Registration (Local Council)
    Bank statements for entire period
    Optical Record card(Specsavers; signed & dated by optician)
    Government Gateway letter (direct.gov.uk)
    P45 & P60 from temporary employments
    Hospital patient letter (NHS)
    Temp agency timesheets
    Self-Assessment Account Statements (HMRC)
Is this, plus the airline tickets, enough evidence to prove I’ve met the residency requirements?
I’m not sure what else I can provide, as I've been self-employed since 2012 (and my pay slips from the company I was employed with in 2011 only have my name but not my address on them).

For those who had to apply without an old passport showing landing stamps, what did you send??

noajthan

Re: Proving Residency With No Passport Stamps??

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:26 am

You have a comprehensive bunch of proofs there.

To go extra mile you could request a SAR from UKVI:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ekristensen
Newly Registered

Post by ekristensen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:08 am

noajthan wrote:You have a comprehensive bunch of proofs there.

To go extra mile you could request a SAR from UKVI:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
Fantastic, many thanks noajthan. Had never even heard of a SAR so will look into obtaining that ASAP.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:14 am

A Subject Access Request is a copy of all the data that the Home Office (or other government department) has on you.

You don't submit an SAR to the Home Office, as it is a copy of the Home Office data anyway.

What you do is go through the Home Office data in the SAR and make sure that your evidence aligns as closely as possible to it. So, for instance, it may list a trip that you had forgotten, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ekristensen
Newly Registered

Post by ekristensen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:27 am

Just wanted to update this for future applicants... I just met with the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) today and NONE of the above was accepted for a citizenship application, except for the P60 I had. The lone P60 I had did not cover the full 5 year period, however, so I was advised to write to HMRC to request a statement of my tax records + National Insurance contributions to prove my residence in the UK.

So... just for people applying in the future, if you don't have your passport stamps or a decent record of employment/evidence of tax contributions (P60s only or statement letter from HMRC), it's going to be impossible to obtain citizenship.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:07 pm

Bollocks!!

Do you think that someone who has had no income or NI contributions e.g. - a housewife (and therefore no HMRC record) in 5 years cannot apply for naturalisation just because he/she is not in possession of an old passport and unable to furnish HMRC documents?

Common sense, a rare commodity?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ekristensen
Newly Registered

Post by ekristensen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:09 pm

geriatrix wrote:Bollocks!!

Do you think that someone who has had no income or NI contributions e.g. - a housewife (and therefore no HMRC record) in 5 years cannot apply for naturalisation just because he/she is not in possession of an old passport and unable to furnish HMRC documents?

What exactly is "bollocks"? I'm simply telling you what an official NCS employee told me earlier today at my appointment - they would not accept my application with the supporting documents listed above, point blank. Sorry to burst your bubble.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 pm

ekristensen wrote:
geriatrix wrote:Bollocks!!

What exactly is "bollocks"? I'm simply telling you what an official NCS employee told me earlier today at my appointment - they would not accept my application with the supporting documents listed above, point blank. Sorry to burst your bubble.
NCS are not immigration adivsors nor are they employed by HO. NCS are only a facilitating/handling agent. You can insist to include documents if you wish to.

If HO require more documents from you during the process, they will write to you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Bollocks = nonsense / rubbish ... my instant reaction to NCS advice and your assertions!

You just got conned by an "official NCS employee" into believing something that is simply not true. And you are ill-advising others to believe the same!
ekristensen wrote:So... just for people applying in the future, if you don't have your passport stamps or a decent record of employment/evidence of tax contributions (P60s only or statement letter from HMRC), it's going to be impossible to obtain citizenship.
My bubble stays ... but someone took you for a ride! No offence.

Call up a few other NCS offices. You may find someone competent enough to accept your application along with the "comprehensive and adequately sufficient" list of documents you have posted in your opening post.

sylionheart
Newly Registered

Post by sylionheart » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi,

Just from my experience with NCS
I did ask similar question about proof of residency previously and got same answer from other members.

When I attended my NCS appointment last week, I had with me the following documents
Accountancy Letter
2 Course certificates from College
Company House Letter
Council Tax from 2010 - 2016
DVLA - 2 driving test certificates (theory and practice)
GP surgery - 2 letters
HMRC 5 Tax Credits letter
HMRC 3 Self Assessment Reminders
HMRC Self Assessment Registration
HMRC Agent authorisation
HMRC 5 Child Benefit letters
HMRC NI contributions from November 2011
HMRC Self assessments from year 11/12 till 14/15
Home office - 1 Letter
Hospital - 12 letters (Discharge summary/tests/follow ups)
Tenancy agreement 2010 - 2011
Tenancy agreement 2011 - 2012
Tenancy agreement 2015 - 2016

However, NCS officer had a list of acceptable documents. He said HO provided them with this list.
He refused most of documents. He said they are weak evidences and should be use only if you have nothing else.

Anyway, he accepted only HMRC NI contributions. But we had a gap in the beginning and the whole of last year (as the accountant has not submitted tax return yet).

Following a length discussion with officer and going through the above documents, he said the only thing will support my application is letter from HMRC that we receive a child benefit for whole period.

I am not sure who is wrong or right. But I thought to share my experience with you

Many thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Moral of the story - always shop around to find which council has has the "least incompetent" NCS staff, and only then take your pick!

ekristensen
Newly Registered

Post by ekristensen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:55 pm

geriatrix wrote:You just got conned by an "official NCS employee"
...What is his "con"?

Thanks for your input, sylionheart. I was told the exact same as you at my meeting.

Sorry to geriatrix, who seems quite offended at our contrasting information for some odd reason, but here are two people who ultimately received incorrect advice from this forum on this topic. I only feel it's the right thing to do to correct the information previously given here to save potential future applicants wasting their money. Feel free to apply with whatever papers you want, but just know you will encounter issues with the ones listed here.

Best of luck to all applying.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 pm

HO guidance on this vital matter:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hanges.pdf
APPLICATIONS MADE ON THE BASIS OF RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married to or in civil partnership to a British citizen, 3) years before the date of the application:
  • Your passports OR say why you are unable to provide one on page 24 and supply:
    Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period
If your passport is not stamped when you come into the United Kingdom (for example because you have a right of abode in the United Kingdom you are a national of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus or Taiwan), you should send your passport and also provide alternative evidence of residence as above
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:58 pm

ekristensen wrote:Sorry to geriatrix, who seems quite offended at our contrasting information for some odd reason,
I am not cross at all but only trying to explain to you that an unemployed person, who has never worked in the UK, has never claimed any benefits, and lost an old passport is also eligible for naturalisation and will be granted naturalisation on the basis of the very documents that NCS has told you are unacceptable.

You are not the first applicant to be in this situation (having lost an old passport) applying for naturalisation. And you are not the first person in such situation to be applying through NCS.

ekristensen wrote:but here are two people who ultimately received incorrect advice from this forum on this topic. I only feel it's the right thing to do to correct the information previously given here to save potential future applicants wasting their money.
It is your prerogative to believe that "potential" applicants are only those who can provide HMRC or DWP documents, and all the rest of migrant population is not eligible to apply for naturalisation for lack of such documents. But don't assert that notion on to others because it is factually incorrect - despite the two experiences with NCS posted in the topic.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:53 pm

The NCS is merely trying to ensure a application will succeed. Most of the documents don't prove residence, unless, for example, the bank statements show spending in the UK. However, if for example, the applicant is a homemaker then I'm sure the caseworkers would understand that the evidential burden should be lowered. However, someone employed, should be able to produce a letter from their employer stating they've been employed and working in the UK. I think that's a reasonable expectation. It only need be on the balance of probabilities that the person was resident in the UK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.