ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Need your help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jacob123

ILR - Need your help

Post by Jacob123 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Dear friends, I plan to apply for ILR by end of April 16. During the next 3-4 months I may need your help in completing the application form SET (O) and other formalities. I will keep all my ILR queries in this thread, hence providing the details so that you can help.

Background:
1.Came first time to England on Tier 2 ICT in December 2010 – visa obtained,Dec 2010 in India (hence the stay under this category does not Qualify for ILR)
2.Applied for Tier 1 general on the 4th April 2011 – In country application, got the leave to remain from 25th May 2011 to 25th May 2013
3.Applied for in country T1 General Ext – Got extended from 23rd May 2013 to 23rd May 2016

When I plan to apply for ILR: Any time starting 28 days before 25th May 2016. From my calculation the earliest I can apply is Wednesday 27th April 2016. To avoid border line situation I am targeting 29th April to make in person application (PEO/PSC)

Who will be applying with me: Self and 3 dependents (spouse +2 kids both less than 16 yrs age)

Preparation so far:
1.Life in the UK test done for self and spouse
2.English requirement – Both mine and my wife’s degree gives 10 points on PBS. As per sushdmeht’s FAQs - English language requirements for settlement thread I plan to submit original degree plus a print out for both of us
3.Getting enough points (80): This is straight forward – I have worked for one company (permanent employment) throughout and salaried. Will meet and provide required proofs. Have all salary slips and P60 for the last 4 years. Not sure if I can get P60 for the current year as typically we get P60 by mid of May but, I plan to do my ILR application end of April 16
4.Absences in the last 5 years – Have gone home country 3-4 times in the past 4 and half years, each time for 15-20 days. No unpaid leave. Will try to get a letter from employer covering each visit outside UK. If they can’t give then at the minimum a letter from employer stating I am entitled to personal leave each year and there is no unpaid leave taken in the past 5 years
5.Cohabitation Doc: Have joint Bank statement, Tenancy agreement on joint name, Utility bills water/electricity on joint name, Individual Credit card statement, individual NHS letters, Electoral cards etc . I will take these spread across 2 years
6.I have downloaded the current Set (O) and trying to complete it. Just to make sure I don’t rush to find info at the last moment. Will download latest version few days before my appointment from the Gov.UK website and will fill that version to make sure I am not going with an old version of the form

Checks I plan to do before the application:
1.SAR – Have just applied for SAR. Do not see anything coming up but still wanted to make sure hence applied. Hopefully I will get it in a month which will allow me the required time if I need to do any follow up
2.HMRC Tax – All years clean and my online HMRC account says there is nothing to pay. Each month tax is paid by my employer and the salary slip reflects that. Have filed self-assessment for the last 4 years
3.I also plan to do credit checks with Equifax/Experian 6 weeks before application to make sure that there is nothing outstanding on my name. Again just to check
4.There is no points on my driving licence, have never got a fine. No other fine etc from council or any body else
5.Some people have suggested to basic check like CRB? Is this something I should do

Help needed - Questions on the form (O):
1.Set (O) form point 4.3 – I will select An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and: Which one to select next
2.Set (O) form point 4.3 both Mine and my wife’s degree is recognised in PBS with 10 points. Should I select UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English
3.Set (O) form point 6.1 – When did you (the main applicant) first enter the UK? This refers to the date of your first entry into the UK at the beginning of the period of stay on which this application is based – Should I mention 25th May 2011 as that is when I got my first T1 general. Before that even if I was in UK that did not count towards ILR and my application is not based on the days I lived in UK before the 25th May 2011
4.Set (O) form what is the difference between point 6.2 and 6.11, both the questions have table that is asking to list absences outside the UK. As this seem duplicate hence I have this query
5.Set (O) form – point 7.13 How long you have lived in the UK – Should I put only my stay under tier 1 here which would be 4 Yr 11 month around the time I will apply. This means I am not counting my Tier 2 ICT stay
6.Does point 12 C need to be completed for Tier 1 General?

I have been a member of this forum right from the time of first Tier 1 application and have always got help and support. ILR is again a stressful process and hoping for the best. Many thanks for your time.

Wish you all a wonderful year 2016.

Cheers,
Jacob.

Jacob123

Re: ILR - Need your help

Post by Jacob123 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Dear members,
Request your help to answer the questions in my post.

1.Set (O) form point 4.3 – I will select An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and: Which one to select next
2.Set (O) form point 4.3 both Mine and my wife’s degree is recognised in PBS with 10 points. Should I select UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English
3.Set (O) form point 6.1 – When did you (the main applicant) first enter the UK? This refers to the date of your first entry into the UK at the beginning of the period of stay on which this application is based – Should I mention 25th May 2011 as that is when I got my first T1 general. Before that even if I was in UK that did not count towards ILR and my application is not based on the days I lived in UK before the 25th May 2011
4.Set (O) form what is the difference between point 6.2 and 6.11, both the questions have table that is asking to list absences outside the UK. As this seem duplicate hence I have this query
5.Set (O) form – point 7.13 How long you have lived in the UK – Should I put only my stay under tier 1 here which would be 4 Yr 11 month around the time I will apply. This means I am not counting my Tier 2 ICT stay
6.Does point 12 C need to be completed for Tier 1 General?

Thanks for your time.
Jacob.

kirankhalil75

Post by kirankhalil75 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi

i think you do not need credit checks with Equifax/Experian etc

Or SAR, otherwise looks ok

also why do you need to file Self Assessment as you were employed for 5 years ?

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 pm

kirankhalil75 wrote:Hi

i think you do not need credit checks with Equifax/Experian etc

Or SAR, otherwise looks ok

also why do you need to file Self Assessment as you were employed for 5 years ?
Thanks Kiran for taking time out to reply. The checks are just for my peace of mind before I submit ILR application to make sure everything is in order. I do not plan to submit this.

Each year I got a letter from HMRC to complete the self assessment and based on that I completed.

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:28 pm

I will appreciate if someone can reply to my queries please.

Thanks again,
Jacob

HarryJones

Post by HarryJones » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:10 pm

response to Question 6.
12C will not be completed for Tier 1 general

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

HarryJones wrote:response to Question 6.
12C will not be completed for Tier 1 general
Thanks Harry. Appreciate your help.

Cheers, Jacob

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Request someone please to help with my questions.

Thanks,
Jacob

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:29 am

Dear members, Pls help me to complete the Set O form for following points. I will appreciate it. Trying to find an answer for almost 8 weeks, your help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Jacob

kanswam

Post by kanswam » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Jacob123
Here is what I believe the answers are for some of your queries -

3. Section 6.1 - You should mark the date of your first entry on Tier 1 visa if thats what you are going to base your ILR application on. I don't believe it matters if you had been in the country before that as you are not using them as a basis for this application
4. Section 6.2 and 6.11 are different - You definitely need to fill out 6.2 but 6.11 is for those that spent time in the Crown Dependencies. If you have spent time there, then you may need to fill this out
5. Section 7.13 - The answer to this should align with what you fill in Section 6.1. If you are only indicating from 25th May 2011 then count the time from that only.

For section 6.1, I suggest you double check with the moderators or experts in this forum. As my experience has been only on Tier 1 visa and I marked only the relevant start date for my application.

Hope that helps

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Firstly, well done on being so prepared, but don't overdo it. You seem to want to supply a whole bunch of stuff that is not required:

Responses on your initial post - "Preparation so far"
3. If you are on Tier 1 General, then you will only need bank statements and salary slips or letter from your employer. P60 is not required. And only submit for a year - if you submit more than this, you risk creating confusion.
4. The letter from your employer doesn't have to state when you left the country, only when you took leave. For example, if you took leave and stayed in the UK, this could be on the letter. It is not reasonable for UK V&I to expect employers to know when you left the country except if it was for work or you had a specific arrangement.

Other checks - what on earth are you doing all this for? If you do decide to do this, don't submit any of this documentation, keep it as back up.

Form questions:
1. Select "UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;"
2. Select "UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English;"
3. Use the date your ILR clock started running as that is what they are asking. (25 May 2011)
4. Not applicable if you spent no time in any of the crown dependencies
5. Doesn't matter what you put. If you want to explain it, then write a note ("excluding Tier 2 ICT" or "including Tier 2 ICT") depending on what you decide to do.
6. No, 12C is not applicable for Tier 1 General

Some suggestions:

Don't submit any of the additional documentation you get, but definitely take it with you. On the day, I took two sets of documentation - the form and only the minimum requirements as per whatever was required by the form and copies of everything (everything clipped together with a post-it on each set of docs explaining what it is and whether it's original or copies). This was a fairly small set of docs and this was all I submitted into the PEO file when they asked me to put it into the folder. I then had a much larger set of documentation with my which was everything else they could possibly ask for (partner's payslips, ALL bank statements, tax documents, a horde of additional proof of co-habitation and pretty much anything else which either related to employment, pay, bills, tax or addresses etc for the last five year). My application was approved without the need to see any of that, but it was good to have it just in case.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi Kanswam and mulderpf, Many thanks for taking time to answer all my question, it is extremely helpful.

mulderpf, Many congratulations on your ILR. Your suggestions are all good and I am thinking on the same lines. Will have as much backup documents as possible but submit minimum must required documents(both original and copy). The checks I am doing is just for my peace of mind and do not intend to submit those docs.

As part of the backup document you have mentioned spouse's salary slip. This is one area I have never bothered to check. She works full time in f a school and tax is deducted at source with salary each month. She has never received any letter from HMRC to submit self assessment.

I am also in full time employment but I have received letters from HMRC to submit self assessment that I have always done in time. Do you think, we shd check with HMRC on my wife's tax details and ensure every thing is in order.

Cheers,
Jacob.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Jacob123 wrote:Hi Kanswam and mulderpf, Many thanks for taking time to answer all my question, it is extremely helpful.

mulderpf, Many congratulations on your ILR. Your suggestions are all good and I am thinking on the same lines. Will have as much backup documents as possible but submit minimum must required documents(both original and copy). The checks I am doing is just for my peace of mind and do not intend to submit those docs.

As part of the backup document you have mentioned spouse's salary slip. This is one area I have never bothered to check. She works full time in f a school and tax is deducted at source with salary each month. She has never received any letter from HMRC to submit self assessment.

I am also in full time employment but I have received letters from HMRC to submit self assessment that I have always done in time. Do you think, we shd check with HMRC on my wife's tax details and ensure every thing is in order.

Cheers,
Jacob.
There is no need to submit self-assessment if the only income you have is from full time employment and tax is deducted via PAYE. I would honestly not go this far with regards to the whole tax thing - so far this only seems to have been an issue for people who have not paid the required tax on income previously used in immigration applications.

Are you earning other income too that you have submitted self-assessments (I actually missed this from your original post)?

Really, if everything you have done has been legitimate and above-board (usually you would know if it wasn't!), you are worrying over nothing.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi mulderpf, I am in full time employment, no other income so there is no problem. When I came here my company had put me as temporary worker (something like overseas worker) with HMRC probably that's the reason I got letters from HMRC for self assessment that I did each year and it is all clear, there is no problem. I know this because I called HMRC 3-4 months ago and they did ask me if I am a permanent worker now I shd tell and they will change it in the system. I said ok I will let them know but did not call them as I do not want to make any changes before ILR.

Everything seem fine to me.

Cheers,
Jacob.

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 am

Jacob123 wrote: 2.Applied for Tier 1 general on the 4th April 2011 – In country application, got the leave to remain from 25th May 2011 to 25th May 2013
3.Applied for in country T1 General Ext – Got extended from 23rd May 2013 to 23rd May 2016

When I plan to apply for ILR: Any time starting 28 days before 25th May 2016. From my calculation the earliest I can apply is Wednesday 27th April 2016. To avoid border line situation I am targeting 29th April to make in person application (PEO/PSC)
Dear all, based on my situation and the fact that home office is implementing increase in ILR fees I plan to apply for ILR as early as permissible by rule. My calculation is the earliest I can attend PEO is 27th April 2016 (Given that my tier 1 general visa was first granted on the 25th May 2011). Just wanted to confirm from experts if my calculation is correct.

If this calculation is correct then when is the earliest I can book PEO appointment. My current understanding is that one can book PEO appointment 42 days in Advance, so to get an PEO appointment for 27th April, I can attempt book a PEO slot on the 16th March. Is my understanding correct?

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob123

English Language Naric letter - Can 4 year old letter work

Post by Jacob123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Dear members, With Naric website mentioning that PBS Calculator will go away from 6th April. I am planning to use Naric comparability statement + a letter from university that the degree was taught in English for my wife (Tier 1 General dependent) for applying for ILR with me.

We had taken a SOC from Naric abt 4 years ago for her mentioning her Bachelor degree is comparable to UK bachelor degree. Just wanted to check if that will be ok or I need to again take a fresh SoC from Naric. Also the letter from University is taken about 7 months ago.

Logically there shd not be a date for this kind of document but checking as UKBA needs documents like bank statement, letters within one month date.

Her degree is giving 10 points for English as on today on the PBS calculator but the calculator will not be valid from 6th April hence this question.

Pls help from your experience.

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob123

Re: English Language Naric letter - Can 4 year old letter wo

Post by Jacob123 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Dear moderators, The changes are creating so much confusion.

As the point based calculator to prove English language is retiring from 6th April, I was planning to us Naric's English language assessment service. Now Naric is launching a visa and nationality service from 6th.So if we get ELA done will it not be applicable for application post 6th April?

I will apply for ILR after 6th April. Do I need to wait for visa and nationality service to come or can I use the ELA service from Naric now and use the letter for English language after 6th April. Do not want to wait till 6th April as I will loose one more week to apply and then it will be very tight to get the assessment done from Naric.

Home office is making changes after changes and creating so much confusion. Pls suggest.

cheers,
Jacob

Jacob123

Re: English Language Naric letter - Can 4 year old letter wo

Post by Jacob123 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Just to let everyone know, I spoke to home office support number and also Naric and PBS calculator for English is indeed going away from 6th April. There is a new service coming from Naric to replace the PBS.

I decided to apply for ELA from Naric and not wait for the new service to come as I want to apply around 28th April and wanted to ensure that I have the English language requirement sorted asap. As per Naric and even homeoffice ELA will be fine.

Cheers,
Jacob

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks for the update Jacob124. This is indeed going to cause a lot of confusion for folks applying post 6th April as there is no clear announcement of this change in the UKVI site as well.
Cheers,
OR

sharmao
United Kingdom

Post by sharmao » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks for the update Jacob. I just informed one of my friends who was planning to apply post 6th April.

Totally agree with you and O_Relly, this is going to create nothing but utter confusion.

Regards,
A

Jacob123

Re: Tier1 General ILR Checklist (Help Needed)

Post by Jacob123 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Dear all, based on the list of cohabitation document I am little confused on the no of sources we need to produce the document from hence asking.

Do we need to show evidence for 3 different sources for every 4 month for example:
1. Proof for period between Jan to April 2015 - separate proof from 3 separate sources ( for example bank, Water, council)
2. Proof of period between, May to August 2015 - separate proof from 3 separate sources ( for example bank, Water, council)
3. Proof of period between September to December 2015 - separate proof from 3 separate sources ( for example bank, Water, council)

Do we need like I have mentioned above or is it like the one written below:
1. Proof for period between Jan to April 2015 - from one source for example bank
2. Proof of period between, May to August 2015 - from one source for example Water company
3. Proof of period between September to December 2015 - from one source for example council

I know this needs to be done for 2/5 years and shd cover both main applicant and spouse as either joint or single letter.

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob123

Re: Tier1 General ILR Checklist (Help Needed)

Post by Jacob123 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Request someone who has applied or the seniors to help please. I will need to arrange for additional documents based on this hence checking.

Cheers,
Jacob
Jacob123 wrote:Dear all, based on the list of cohabitation document I am little confused on the no of sources we need to produce the document from hence asking.

Do we need to show evidence for 3 different sources for every 4 month for example:
1. Proof for period between Jan to April 2015 - separate proof from 3 separate sources ( for example bank, Water, council)
2. Proof of period between, May to August 2015 - separate proof from 3 separate sources ( for example bank, Water, council)
3. Proof of period between September to December 2015 - separate proof from 3 separate sources ( for example bank, Water, council)

Do we need like I have mentioned above or is it like the one written below:
1. Proof for period between Jan to April 2015 - from one source for example bank
2. Proof of period between, May to August 2015 - from one source for example Water company
3. Proof of period between September to December 2015 - from one source for example council

I know this needs to be done for 2/5 years and shd cover both main applicant and spouse as either joint or single letter.

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Jacob

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Dear moderators, Request your help pls. I am almost in the last week and have PSC appointment on the 3rd May. This is almost last set of question:
1. Pls help answer the question on Cohabitation
2. My salary slips are online. I have printed them and got it signed by HR manager and he has also put a company seal/stamp above the sign. Hope that is ok
3. How do we handle payment details page in Set O form as I have already paid while booking PSC appointment. Based on what I read in this forum, I have filled point 1 to 5. Pont 6 to 12 are specifically about how I am paying - I have left all these points blank as payment is already made. Pls suggest if that is fine

Thank you so much for the help.

Cheers,
Jacob

sharmao
United Kingdom

Post by sharmao » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:11 am

1. Pls help answer the question on Cohabitation
I am not too sure about this one so will leave it to other members on the forum.
2. My salary slips are online. I have printed them and got it signed by HR manager and he has also put a company seal/stamp above the sign. Hope that is ok
Yes, this is fine I did the same for my application.
3. How do we handle payment details page in Set O form as I have already paid while booking PSC appointment. Based on what I read in this forum, I have filled point 1 to 5. Pont 6 to 12 are specifically about how I am paying - I have left all these points blank as payment is already made. Pls suggest if that is fine
I left the page blank and while submitting the documents asked the CW and she confirmed that the page can be left blank as I have already attached the payment receipt.

Hope this helps.

Jacob123

Post by Jacob123 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:02 am

Cheers sharmao.
It would be great is someone can help on the Cohabitation query.

Cheers,
Jacob