ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

magicmus

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship to use EEA FP route

Post by magicmus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:03 pm

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:me again being a torture today! I've spoken to the irish passport office this morning, they have a bit of a back log for the irish passport card and mine is not due to be dispatched until the 5th March. I have decided i will just send my irish passport and request that they return it asap as I need it for travel in June. What all did everyone send with their renunciation?

- completed RN form
- Fee payment details form
- British passport
- Irish passport
- Letter requesting Irish passport returned asap.

Did you guys enclose an addressed envelope for return of RN?
Hey magicmus,

Sorry with the time difference, I don't see posts until the morning here! With my RN I sent:

-Completed RN
-Payment Form
-Expired British Passport
-Irish Passport Card
-Cover letter detailing everything that was in my packet e.g. (1) Irish passport card - this is proof that I am Irish & can only be obtained by a current Irish Passport holder (2) Expired British passport - it was never re-issued once it expired ... I also did say could I please have the expired passport back (Travel stamps), though I don't think I will see it again.

In terms of where I was born, I honestly can't remember what I wrote - It might have been Northern Ireland.

I personally didn't sent a return envelope - mainly because I am in the USA and don't know how they would work out the postage for the return. I am going to go onto the Home Office website though and change my address to my family home in Belfast - that way at least someone in my family can get their hands on my RN as soon as possible and fast track it over to me.

Thanks for this sp84 I'm sort of wondering now of there's much point even renuncing as going by timescales I definitely won't have it back in time of eu referendum which looks like we are dammed either way a vote to stay in or a vote out. My solicitor said to go ahead anyway as there is no clear timescale when either dc's deal would kick in or if voted out when we would actually exit. It's all just consuming me at the moment I wish I could take the attitude of what will be will be but I just can't relax

Remind me how long have u been waiting for your RN now?

I wonder has anyone applied for fp using the confirmation letter that application for rn has been received and including a statement showing the debit of the fee?

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 pm

sp84 wrote:
Lissa6 wrote:
Yes, that was about right, it was just about 5 months (the date stamped on the letter) and then just a week shy of 6 months and then I received it! At least it was through a registered mail. Otherwise I think i would still be waiting!

It is a very stressful situation! the saving grace is that the family permit only took us a few days to get!
Wow Lisa, you're moving in 11 days! I suppose you did say you were moving in March - I just can't believe it is almost March already! Hope the packing is going well.

In terms of my application - not much else to report. Just waiting and waiting haha

It does make me feel better hearing that the family permits have been getting issued quite quickly. Just in case you don't manage to get back online between now and then - best of luck with the move Lisa and safe flight and all that! Don't you go disappearing though haha - keep us updated with how you are settling :)

Haha... shhh! Don't say it. 9 days now! But it's exciting! Just immigrating is no joke thats for sure.

Will come visit :) Always wonder about the others that were on here and then disappeared and if they all got sorted.

Lissa6

Post by Lissa6 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:25 pm

magicmus wrote:Hi all this might seem like a stupid question. See on the renunciation form where it asks was born on (date of birth) at ( place and country of birth) for country do i put UK or Northern ireland or Ireland??

What all did people send with their renunciation?

Still not recieved my irish passport card, i have sent them an email asking for an update but not had any reply. Thinking now i will just send my irish passport and ask that they return it once they have checked it.

Hi Magicmus,

You should put your date of birth and the place you were born., I think i wrote Solihull Birmingham UK.

I didn't put in a envelope, a lady at the "help desk" in the UK told me that I could still send one after, however before I got to it I received it back. I'm in South Africa, so the postal system isn't always great because of strikes and what not. However it did come registered mail which was helpful.
I would send one anyone, it will help you track it when its on its way, and I heard from a few people that they did send with and it was sent back.

Hope that helps! I sent through my passport - irish and british.. I think you can request that your passport get sent back asap.. Although whether this would happen I'm not to sure...

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:34 pm

magicmus wrote:
Thanks for this sp84 I'm sort of wondering now of there's much point even renuncing as going by timescales I definitely won't have it back in time of eu referendum which looks like we are dammed either way a vote to stay in or a vote out. My solicitor said to go ahead anyway as there is no clear timescale when either dc's deal would kick in or if voted out when we would actually exit. It's all just consuming me at the moment I wish I could take the attitude of what will be will be but I just can't relax

Remind me how long have u been waiting for your RN now?

I wonder has anyone applied for fp using the confirmation letter that application for rn has been received and including a statement showing the debit of the fee?
Yea at the minute there has not been any timescales discussed. If the vote is to stay in - all we know is that the changes will come into effect "once the UK informs the EU Commission of its desire to remain in the EU". Does this mean the very next day (so the 24th/25th)? Does it mean that other laws etc will have to be amended to reflect the new changes (both EU law and local Government law etc).

If the vote is out - does that mean that all of the current rules stay in place, regarding EU permits, Surinder Singh etc until they actually leave. I did see that in the event of a leave vote - it would take time to negotiate the exit, seeing as it will have an impact on free movement, trade, the economy etc a rumoured date was by 2019. On the flip side - I did see an article in which Boris Johnson had apparently said, if there is a vote to leave - the UK should pretty much ignore EU law from that point on, even though they will technically still be a member ... So who knows what is going on!

My biggest fear at the minute is the transitional rules - mainly because they haven't been discussed/disclosed - for example, if nothing changes between now and the vote, then EU family permits should be able to be issued right up until at least June 22nd right?? ... So what happens if someone has a valid family permit and comes in to the UK a week after the vote happens. Can that family then be asked to leave, even though they entered the country legally, if that makes sense. It was something that I had not thought about until recently - I just don't want this whole thing to be for nothing ... Get back before the vote and still get asked (well told) to leave.

In terms of my application magicmus - I got my confirmation number and the money taken out of my account Dec 1st. So at the end of February, I will be 3 months into processing. At the earliest, I am hoping to get it back in mid-April and at the latest, it will be the end of May (hence why I am going to change my mailing address to my family home in Belfast, so that at least someone in my family can get their hands on it quickly)!

I don't think anyone will have applied for the FP with just the confirmation letter - mainly because time hasn't been as much of an issue as it is now I suppose. With the FP though, from what I understand - you can always apply, then reapply (correct me if I am wrong).

Trust me, I totally understand what you mean about it consuming you! I'm struggling to sleep and am constantly checking online for updates/new stories. Must be why I have had a few more greys coming through haha!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:38 pm

Lissa6 wrote:
Haha... shhh! Don't say it. 9 days now! But it's exciting! Just immigrating is no joke thats for sure.

Will come visit :) Always wonder about the others that were on here and then disappeared and if they all got sorted.
Haha oh I know Lisa! Moving is never easy! I had to do it 4 years ago and never thought I would be doing it again so quickly!

Yea if they disappeared then I'm sure they did get sorted. I'm sure I will still be bothering you regarding the family permit/what comes after - so you better still visit haha!

Good luck with the packing & those 9 days will fly in!!!!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 pm

sp84 wrote:
Yea at the minute there has not been any timescales discussed. If the vote is to stay in - all we know is that the changes will come into effect "once the UK informs the EU Commission of its desire to remain in the EU". Does this mean the very next day (so the 24th/25th)? Does it mean that other laws etc will have to be amended to reflect the new changes (both EU law and local Government law etc).

If the vote is out - does that mean that all of the current rules stay in place, regarding EU permits, Surinder Singh etc until they actually leave. I did see that in the event of a leave vote - it would take time to negotiate the exit, seeing as it will have an impact on free movement, trade, the economy etc a rumoured date was by 2019. On the flip side - I did see an article in which Boris Johnson had apparently said, if there is a vote to leave - the UK should pretty much ignore EU law from that point on, even though they will technically still be a member ... So who knows what is going on!

My biggest fear at the minute is the transitional rules - mainly because they haven't been discussed/disclosed - for example, if nothing changes between now and the vote, then EU family permits should be able to be issued right up until at least June 22nd right?? ... So what happens if someone has a valid family permit and comes in to the UK a week after the vote happens. Can that family then be asked to leave, even though they entered the country legally, if that makes sense. It was something that I had not thought about until recently - I just don't want this whole thing to be for nothing ... Get back before the vote and still get asked (well told) to leave.

In terms of my application magicmus - I got my confirmation number and the money taken out of my account Dec 1st. So at the end of February, I will be 3 months into processing. At the earliest, I am hoping to get it back in mid-April and at the latest, it will be the end of May (hence why I am going to change my mailing address to my family home in Belfast, so that at least someone in my family can get their hands on it quickly)!

I don't think anyone will have applied for the FP with just the confirmation letter - mainly because time hasn't been as much of an issue as it is now I suppose. With the FP though, from what I understand - you can always apply, then reapply (correct me if I am wrong).

Trust me, I totally understand what you mean about it consuming you! I'm struggling to sleep and am constantly checking online for updates/new stories. Must be why I have had a few more greys coming through haha!
Yes I can understand the confusion say you got your fp on 20th June came to the uk would you then not be able to apply for residency card and be told to leave after 6 months?

At the moment I think my chances of being able to apply for fp are zero as I'm only sending my rn tomorrow. I am in the fortunate position that I earn enough to meet the UK spouse visa but had worried that our visit visa ban of 10 years would impact any further UK visa applications. But my husband is trying to keep my spirits up "as one door closes another opens" but I'm so sick and tired of life being on hold for us I want to be starting a family in the next 2 years and I just couldn't bring myself to do that whilst living apart.

I have been messaging my solicitor tonight;

Me:Hi firstly I apologise that I have been a torture recently. With all the Eu exit talk and dc's deal I just consumed with the "what ifs"
Stupid question really as I think I know the answer. Could we apply for fp using the letter confirming rn application has been received and a statement showing the deduction of the fee from the ho? Or do they need the official stamped document?

Solicitor:You can apply certainly but really you would need to have the renunciation through by the time you submit the papers at the visa application centre, producing what you suggest is just going to give them an easy option to refuse.

Me: Yeh pretty much what I thought. I'm still waiting on my Irish passport card apparently there is a back log.
If we vote to stay in the Eu in June does this mean we can no longer apply for eea fp?

Solicitor:All remains to be seen, you should this about just sending a certified copy of the passport and tell them you have to travel. You need to get the renunciation started. Possibly an EU exit vote to leave the EU could give you more time as there will be more negotiation required on the exit terms and dates etc?

Me:Yes I was going to just send my irish passport tomorrow and ask if they can return it asap as I need it for travelling. I have contacted the sdlp office as blank advised me they contacted the HO to try and progress her RN quicker. Anyhow they said once I have a reference they can certainly call to track progress but I imagine this won't speed things up.
I'm wondering if I shud just forget about rn and just apply UK spouse just concerned our visit visa ban would impact decision of this?

Solicitor:As you are now married the ban should not block a spouse visa, you can do both as you can apply for the spouse visa on the strength of your Irish nationality. If I were you I would do both.

So I shall send my rn tomorrow and just see what the future holds. I'm so annoyed I didn't learn of this option about a year ago

I really hope sp84 you get your RN asap and can get your fp before the referendum

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:49 pm

magicmus wrote:
Yes I can understand the confusion say you got your fp on 20th June came to the uk would you then not be able to apply for residency card and be told to leave after 6 months?

At the moment I think my chances of being able to apply for fp are zero as I'm only sending my rn tomorrow. I am in the fortunate position that I earn enough to meet the UK spouse visa but had worried that our visit visa ban of 10 years would impact any further UK visa applications. But my husband is trying to keep my spirits up "as one door closes another opens" but I'm so sick and tired of life being on hold for us I want to be starting a family in the next 2 years and I just couldn't bring myself to do that whilst living apart.

So I shall send my rn tomorrow and just see what the future holds. I'm so annoyed I didn't learn of this option about a year ago

I really hope sp84 you get your RN asap and can get your fp before the referendum
It's funny that you said "I'm so sick and tired of life being on hold for us I want to be starting a family in the next 2 years and I just couldn't bring myself to do that whilst living apart." ... Just before I checked the boards, I was thinking to myself of how annoyed I am that my wife & I are having to plan normal things (like starting a family), around everything that is going on. Yes we are together in person right now, which is a positive I suppose - but the whole reason I want to move back is because the cost of living here, my degree not transferring etc, prevents us from actually doing those things here too. Rock and a hard place!

As a teacher, I could get/apply for a job in England (not where I want to go), earning over the 18k and apply for the spouse visa. On principle alone though I refuse to have my life dictated by that - nor am I willing for us to separate for the 6 months it takes to process the application. We did long distance for 4 years and the whole reason we moved to the USA first - was because of its notoriously difficult immigration system (which has actually proved very straight forward in retrospect!). Silly me for thinking that our marriage alone would be the rubber stamp to moving back home.

I found out about the RN 10 months ago - and back then, processing was around 3 months - so I was in no rush to get the form submitted (didn't want to be without the passport as I had 2 family members in and out of hospital at the time). With the idea of moving back this summer, 3 months was plenty of time. Then that quickly became 6 months and here we are!

That's a good idea from the solicitor - about applying for both, seeing as the processing time seems to be around the same & you already making over the threshold. From what I understand you can also cancel your renunciation at any time before it is processed, if needed.

Thank you for the encouragement! Since everyone is unsure about the transitional rules like you mentioned, even if I get in before the referendum ... I am still even hoping to apply for the residence card too before the vote, just to be sure. That's in an ideal world though - I know I am going to be cutting it very very very close.

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:06 pm

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:

It's funny that you said "I'm so sick and tired of life being on hold for us I want to be starting a family in the next 2 years and I just couldn't bring myself to do that whilst living apart." ... Just before I checked the boards, I was thinking to myself of how annoyed I am that my wife & I are having to plan normal things (like starting a family), around everything that is going on. Yes we are together in person right now, which is a positive I suppose - but the whole reason I want to move back is because the cost of living here, my degree not transferring etc, prevents us from actually doing those things here too. Rock and a hard place!

As a teacher, I could get/apply for a job in England (not where I want to go), earning over the 18k and apply for the spouse visa. On principle alone though I refuse to have my life dictated by that - nor am I willing for us to separate for the 6 months it takes to process the application. We did long distance for 4 years and the whole reason we moved to the USA first - was because of its notoriously difficult immigration system (which has actually proved very straight forward in retrospect!). Silly me for thinking that our marriage alone would be the rubber stamp to moving back home.

I found out about the RN 10 months ago - and back then, processing was around 3 months - so I was in no rush to get the form submitted (didn't want to be without the passport as I had 2 family members in and out of hospital at the time). With the idea of moving back this summer, 3 months was plenty of time. Then that quickly became 6 months and here we are!

That's a good idea from the solicitor - about applying for both, seeing as the processing time seems to be around the same & you already making over the threshold. From what I understand you can also cancel your renunciation at any time before it is processed, if needed.

Thank you for the encouragement! Since everyone is unsure about the transitional rules like you mentioned, even if I get in before the referendum ... I am still even hoping to apply for the residence card too before the vote, just to be sure. That's in an ideal world though - I know I am going to be cutting it very very very close.

It just maddens me that people can play God with our lives like this. All we want is the best for our families. Yes the uk spouse visa angers me also as I am sure they will pick at the smallest thing to refuse and it costs almost 1k for the application alonenever mind the cost of English language exam and translation of my husbands documents from turkish to English and the NHS charge it could cost us easily 2k and they can refuse on the most ridiculous things.

I imagine of ur fp was granted before the referendum they would have to honour it no matter the referendum outcome. There's just so many "what iffs" that I am sure no politician will come out with the honest truthful answers to.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:11 pm

magicmus wrote:
It just maddens me that people can play God with our lives like this. All we want is the best for our families. Yes the uk spouse visa angers me also as I am sure they will pick at the smallest thing to refuse and it costs almost 1k for the application alonenever mind the cost of English language exam and translation of my husbands documents from turkish to English and the NHS charge it could cost us easily 2k and they can refuse on the most ridiculous things.

I imagine of ur fp was granted before the referendum they would have to honour it no matter the referendum outcome. There's just so many "what iffs" that I am sure no politician will come out with the honest truthful answers to.
Yea I totally feel the same! Every time I see a see a news article I cringe. I would love to ask David Cameron the question that - if his child happened to fall in love with a non-EU citizen & wasn't making enough money to sponsor them, how he would feel. Or if his own wife was a non-EU citizen, would he be willing to separate for 6+ months ... but I suppose that this is the same man that said "When people’s love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change" - while at present, there are currently thousands of British families divided by the income threshold. That's one of the biggest oxymoron's I have ever heard - but he does love a sound bite.

I have read about the ridiculous fee's for the FP! Money that a family could put down towards buying a home etc and was also one of the reasons that I was OK with renouncing.

The Supreme Court case against the threshold has been happening since Monday and I saw a great quote from an affected person at the hearing - "Why should another country be expected accept me, a British citizen, when my own country won't even allow me to live together with my spouse" It seems that we are all just numbers on a page - one more Brit that leaves to be with their spouse, is a -1 against net migration.

I am so glad that I discovered these boards - not just for the help and advice, but also for being able to talk to people in a similar situation/knowing you are not alone & for the support that brings.

I am hoping that I will be OK regarding the family permit, but as you said - there are lots of "what ifs" between now and then and sadly the only thing I/we can do, is wait.

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:31 am

sp84 wrote: Yea I totally feel the same! Every time I see a see a news article I cringe. I would love to ask David Cameron the question that - if his child happened to fall in love with a non-EU citizen & wasn't making enough money to sponsor them, how he would feel. Or if his own wife was a non-EU citizen, would he be willing to separate for 6+ months ... but I suppose that this is the same man that said "When people’s love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change" - while at present, there are currently thousands of British families divided by the income threshold. That's one of the biggest oxymoron's I have ever heard - but he does love a sound bite.

I have read about the ridiculous fee's for the FP! Money that a family could put down towards buying a home etc and was also one of the reasons that I was OK with renouncing.

The Supreme Court case against the threshold has been happening since Monday and I saw a great quote from an affected person at the hearing - "Why should another country be expected accept me, a British citizen, when my own country won't even allow me to live together with my spouse" It seems that we are all just numbers on a page - one more Brit that leaves to be with their spouse, is a -1 against net migration.

I am so glad that I discovered these boards - not just for the help and advice, but also for being able to talk to people in a similar situation/knowing you are not alone & for the support that brings.

I am hoping that I will be OK regarding the family permit, but as you said - there are lots of "what ifs" between now and then and sadly the only thing I/we can do, is wait.

Hi sp84 sorry for the late reply I think our time difference causes us to be on at different times. "When people’s love is divided by law, it is the law that needs to change" that quote by DC is the most laughable hes ever made. Yeh change the law and make it even hard?!

I'm residing to the fact now that my husband and I will most likely have to apply for uk spouse visa :-( as my RN will definately not be here before the referendum. One thing i was thinking though is that perhaps if my husband did get here on a uk spouse visa would he be eligable to apply for an irish passport after 3 years on the basis that he has been residing on the island of Ireland with an Irish national spouse, something I will ask my solicitor about as it seems this would be easier and less costly than the 2nd settlement part of the uk spouse visa.

I am also so grateful I found this forum. It is a godsend to talk to people who are going through the same thing and have the same feelings and concerns as yourself. I read something today that gives me a little bit of hope if we are voted to stay in the eu;

when we look at each of the points of their agreement, they dribble away even faster than has generally been recognised.

On Mr Cameron’s wish to see Britain’s treaty commitment to “ever closer union” struck out, all he got was a vague “recognition” that this country “is not committed to further political union”. The so-called “red card”, giving a majority of national parliaments the right to block those bits of EU legislation that supposedly conflict with “subsidiarity”, in fact adds little to the empty form of words already in the Lisbon Treaty. And the so-called “emergency brake”, which would supposedly allow the UK to impose a modest restriction on the right of EU migrants to receive benefits, has been covered by articles 112 and 113 of the agreement on the European Economic Area ever since 1994.

But when it comes to Mr Cameron’s claim that he has won “changes that are legally binding”, even he had to admit that they would require not only the agreement of all the other 27 member states (which already seems highly unlikely) but also “treaty change”. And the procedures for any further treaty changes, as also laid down in Lisbon, must now include a fully fledged “Convention”, an intergovernmental conference and ratification by the member states, all of which could not be achieved in less than four or five years.

Hoping this would possibly buy me sometime then to get my RN back and get the fp! But trying not to pin hopes on it and residing more to the fact that we will probably have to apply for uk spouse visa. I may start saving and saving!

Tullynagardy
Newly Registered

Post by Tullynagardy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Magicmus - I am unable to see PMs sadly!

Can you repost here? i`d imagine it was related anyway?

On the topic surely it is madness for people to be doing this until the EU referendum is sorted? This route could well be a thing of the past in a few months?

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Tullynagardy wrote:Magicmus - I am unable to see PMs sadly!

On the topic surely it is madness for people to be doing this until the EU referendum is sorted? This route could well be a thing of the past in a few months?
Hi Tullynagardy, did u do UK spouse visa? I'm thinking this what I will need to do but also thought along the same lines of yourself that after 3 years my husband could apply for Irish passport as he will have lived on the island of Ireland for 3 years with me his wife who is an Irish national

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 pm

Tullynagardy wrote:Magicmus - I am unable to see PMs sadly!

Hey Tullynagardy!

When you say "doing this", do you mean renouncing British citizenship? I am about half way through renouncing myself - but with the referendum, the new proposals (with an IN vote) - state that the country's own immigration laws would apply for non-EU spouses ... Therefore everyone would have to meet the 18k threshold, not just British citizens. So this "more straight-forward/direct" route (renouncing) - may not be an option after the referendum. Just curious why you think it is madness?

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:12 pm

magicmus wrote:
Hi Tullynagardy, did u do UK spouse visa? I'm thinking this what I will need to do but also thought along the same lines of yourself that after 3 years my husband could apply for Irish passport as he will have lived on the island of Ireland for 3 years with me his wife who is an Irish national
Hey magicmus,

Yea from what I understand - if your spouse lives on the island of Ireland, they can apply for an Irish passport after 3 years, even if you entered on a UK spouse visa. To quote the solicitor that I spoke to (who I have a funny feeling is the same one you spoke too haha) - "then the Home Office can take a running jump in to Lough Neagh" ! :)

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:16 pm

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:
Hey magicmus,

Yea from what I understand - if your spouse lives on the island of Ireland, they can apply for an Irish passport after 3 years, even if you entered on a UK spouse visa. To quote the solicitor that I spoke to (who I have a funny feeling is the same one you spoke too haha) - "then the Home Office can take a running jump in to Lough Neagh" ! :)
Hi sp84 I'm glad that this wold be an alternative then as the life in the UK test is ridiculous and plus more cost for ilr. Starting to relax about myself probably being unable to do fp. But still filled with stress at UK spouse visa application and all the requirements for that having had bad experience with visit visas I don't have much faith in them. Also I didn't take my husbands surname and I reckon they would jump on this saying it's a sham marriage.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:24 pm

magicmus wrote:
Hi sp84 I'm glad that this wold be an alternative then as the life in the UK test is ridiculous and plus more cost for ilr. Starting to relax about myself probably being unable to do fp. But still filled with stress at UK spouse visa application and all the requirements for that having had bad experience with visit visas I don't have much faith in them. Also I didn't take my husbands surname and I reckon they would jump on this saying it's a sham marriage.
Morning magicmus (well it is here!)

Contact the solicitor just to re-confirm, but that was at least my understanding! Even with no surname I am sure you have lots of other evidence - photos, correspondence, flight details, marriage cert etc Sadly, I think for all of us, stress is going to be an issue until everything is resolved :( going to be the longest few months of my life I'm sure!

Do you know why Tullynagardy was saying this way is madness because of the referendum? Last thing I need now is to be second guessing what I am doing haha!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 pm

sp84 wrote:
Morning magicmus (well it is here!)

Contact the solicitor just to re-confirm, but that was at least my understanding! Even with no surname I am sure you have lots of other evidence - photos, correspondence, flight details, marriage cert etc Sadly, I think for all of us, stress is going to be an issue until everything is resolved :( going to be the longest few months of my life I'm sure!

Do you know why Tullynagardy was saying this way is madness because of the referendum? Last thing I need now is to be second guessing what I am doing haha!
Morning sp84, it's evening here now. Just home from work. I think Tullynagardy has maybe said this due to the uncertainty of how things will go at the referendum. But you should have your fp in hand and be in ni by then so I would try to ignore that if I where you. I think the madness is more directed at me as I only sent my rn today and it probably is mad for me to renounce when I know it definitely won't be processed by time of referendum. But if it makes it easier for my husband to naturalise once he hopefully has UK visa then I think it's a plus and my solicitor told me to crack on.

Anyhow everything to do with immigration is "madness" the hoops they want us to jump through so we just have to join the madness eh?!:-)

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:18 pm

magicmus wrote:
Morning sp84, it's evening here now. Just home from work. I think Tullynagardy has maybe said this due to the uncertainty of how things will go at the referendum. But you should have your fp in hand and be in ni by then so I would try to ignore that if I where you. I think the madness is more directed at me as I only sent my rn today and it probably is mad for me to renounce when I know it definitely won't be processed by time of referendum. But if it makes it easier for my husband to naturalise once he hopefully has UK visa then I think it's a plus and my solicitor told me to crack on.

Anyhow everything to do with immigration is "madness" the hoops they want us to jump through so we just have to join the madness eh?!:-)
Haha thank you magicmus, that made me smile! As you know one of my biggest fears at the minute is the transitional rules, but until they are announced, I suppose I have to just carry on with what I am doing!

One positive that I keep telling myself is that being Irish and living in the UK - is practically the same as being British and living in the UK, so in effect I should not be affected on a personal level by giving up British citizenship, regardless of the referendum outcome. I had been doing everything on my Irish passport anyway for the last few years. With NI being such a grey area in terms of nationality, I keep comparing my situation to a Sinn Fein member from NI, renouncing British citizenship due to personal beliefs - they will still be able to go about their business as usual in NI, once they are no longer British. It's a strange comparison, but helps me rationalise it in my own head.

Correct me if I am wrong here too - if the 18k threshold gets shot down by the Supreme Court (decision is expected within 6 months) - Then even if I am just Irish & if I don't move home for lets say another year ...would I be able to apply for the UK spouse visa under whatever the laws are at that time - seeing as the Irish are settled in the UK? I assume so, if that makes sense!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:24 pm

Haha thank you magicmus, that made me smile! As you know one of my biggest fears at the minute is the transitional rules, but until they are announced, I suppose I have to just carry on with what I am doing!

One positive that I keep telling myself is that being Irish and living in the UK - is practically the same as being British and living in the UK, so in effect I should not be affected on a personal level by giving up British citizenship, regardless of the referendum outcome. I had been doing everything on my Irish passport anyway for the last few years. With NI being such a grey area in terms of nationality, I keep comparing my situation to a Sinn Fein member from NI, renouncing British citizenship due to personal beliefs - they will still be able to go about their business as usual in NI, once they are no longer British. It's a strange comparison, but helps me rationalise it in my own head.

Correct me if I am wrong here too - if the 18k threshold gets shot down by the Supreme Court (decision is expected within 6 months) - Then even if I am just Irish & if I don't move home for lets say another year ...would I be able to apply for the UK spouse visa under whatever the laws are at that time - seeing as the Irish are settled in the UK? I assume so, if that makes sense!

Yes that is correct I got this clarified with my solicitor before I sent my rn as didn't want to shoot myself in the foot.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm

magicmus wrote:
Yes that is correct I got this clarified with my solicitor before I sent my rn as didn't want to shoot myself in the foot.
Cheers! Yeah through all of this I thought - wouldn't it be ironic if I renounced and then the scales were tipped the other way - and it was more favourable to be a British citizen again. I think at that point I would just give up!

magicmus

Post by magicmus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:31 pm

sp84 wrote:
magicmus wrote:
Cheers! Yeah through all of this I thought - wouldn't it be ironic if I renounced and then the scales were tipped the other way - and it was more favourable to be a British citizen again. I think at that point I would just give up!

Oh please no!! I think I'd just give up too!

Tullynagardy
Newly Registered

Post by Tullynagardy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Hi Magicmus

My wife came to live in NI on a UK spouse visa in July 2013. In July this year, having lived on the Island of Ireland for 3 years she will apply to be Naturalised as an Irish citizen. This means we can avoid all the Life in UK nonsense and English tests.

Annoyingly we just had to renew her visa (and stepson) at the cost of £2400 knowing full well she will have an Irish passport by year end and not need it beyond. (NHS surcharge particularly galling as it is based per year)

We still save money in long run and means getting a European passport much quicker. Cant wait for UKBA to contact us in 2018 and we can tell them to get lost.

I did consider renouncing UK citizenship but i cherish my dual identity and decided on this compromise route.

It is madness (i dont mean that as insult, its the way i talk lol) IMO to do renouncing UK citizenship now as the only reason to do this is to so you can use EU treaty rights to bypass the immigration system. (Irish citizen living in UK so can bring spouse) Come July there could well be no treaty rights in UK!

Hope that helps.

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:40 pm

Tullynagardy wrote:Hi Magicmus

My wife came to live in NI on a UK spouse visa in July 2013. In July this year, having lived on the Island of Ireland for 3 years she will apply to be Naturalised as an Irish citizen. This means we can avoid all the Life in UK nonsense and English tests.

Annoyingly we just had to renew her visa (and stepson) at the cost of £2400 knowing full well she will have an Irish passport by year end and not need it beyond. (NHS surcharge particularly galling as it is based per year)

We still save money in long run and means getting a European passport much quicker. Cant wait for UKBA to contact us in 2018 and we can tell them to get lost.

I did consider renouncing UK citizenship but i cherish my dual identity and decided on this compromise route.

It is madness (i dont mean that as insult, its the way i talk lol) IMO to do renouncing UK citizenship now as the only reason to do this is to so you can use EU treaty rights to bypass the immigration system. (Irish citizen living in UK so can bring spouse) Come July there could well be no treaty rights in UK!

Hope that helps.
Aahhh OK thanks Tullynagardy,

Seeing as I am half way through renouncing and plan on being back in the UK in early June, before the referendum - this way is still the most direct (and cheapest) for myself. Don't worry, not insulted at all haha, just wanted a little clarification!

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:43 am

Sorry I've been a wee bit preoccupied lately so time to update on what has been happening

First to all those who have been worrying about the RN all I sent was my British Passport (good riddance) and a photocopy of my Irish Passport.

Timeline, received my RN back 13th Feb dated 8th Feb. Made an appointment online with VFS Bangkok for 18th Feb then booked a flight for me and our 2 boys. The plane a new A380 (Thai Air) was due to depart 11.20 on 16th Feb due to arrive Bangkok on 17th Feb we left the departure gate dead on time and taxied to the runway for take-off just about to take off when the captain announced we have a problem with the fuel pump and would have to return to a staging area for it to be repaired then after 3 hours we were told to disembark.

We were then given meal vouchers and told to return to the gate at 18.00 when hopefully we would be able to re-embark only to be told we were being put up in a hotel for the night and the flight was rescheduled for 10.50 the following day. Only got booked into the hotel at 19.45 it was a complete shambles.

Next morning again delayed until 11.20 still the good thing is we eventually arrived in Bangkok on the 18th with just enough time to lodge the application with VFS on 18th Feb at 12.40. 90 minutes later and we would have missed it.

Monday 2nd Feb was a Bank Hol in Thailand so everything including British Embassy was closed.

Thursday 25th Feb received an email the Embassy had made a decision on the visa application and we could collect the passport in 2 days (why the hell cant they say yes or no instead of making you sweat and worry for another couple of days about whether or not they have granted it or not.

Saturday 27th Feb collected Passport and there it was an Entry clearance affixed in my wife's passport for the UK valid for 6 months from 29th Feb.

We have a flight booked and will be arriving 03 March.

Then I will see about moving back to a country I always liked felt at home in and considered my home Ireland, Well initially Northern Ireland most of my young life was spent there.

I am protestant only because my parents were I haven't been to church in more than 50 years but where I differer from most of my relations in N.I. is I strongly believe Ireland is one country we are all Irish regardless of religion and the border should not exist. If that makes me a republican then I suppose that is what I am (A protestant republican :? impossible? for most maybe but not for me) I don't believe there should be any place in politics for religion. Sadly in N.I. a rear impossibility.

I've always though the main reason the six county's are partitioned (despite what they may say) is because the British government didn't want to lose the shipyard in Belfast one of if not the largest shipyards in the world remember in 1922 most trade and passengers went by sea the British merchant fleet was one of the largest in the world and the Royal Navy was the largest most powerful navy in the world.

How the mighty have fallen :)

I hope this gives some hope to every one reading this.

Bannoi
Newly Registered

Post by Bannoi » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:11 am

I've just reread my last post and it appears to come across very anti-British it wasn't meant that way honest :wink: in fact I think its sad to see the once proud Royal Navy that my father his father and generations of our family served in right back to the time of Nelson and possibly beyond has become.

I blame it on scrapping the daily rum ration and baccie allowance :)

It feels like its been a long journey the worse part of which has been waiting for what seemed like an intolerable amount of time for the RN to arrive and even though I must admit to a certain amount of sadness at losing my British citizenship Its something I would do all over again without a second thought.

It just riles me to think how I and other British people who both themselves and family's for generations have worked served and fought for this country are being treated by a hatchet faced Home Secretary who must now have become one of if not the most hated women in the UK.

If I had known how I would be treated now I would have refused to go to the Falklands in fact if I had any medals of any note I would send them back. (we cant all be heroes in the wrong place at the wrong time)

Take note Teresa May and your cronies "as ye sow so shall ye reap" the people that made this country great are being shit on from a great height put on the scrap heap and hung out to dry who do you think are going to replace them with and save your mule some city yuppie or banker get real.

I think I've drank enough now so its goodnight from me and goodnight from him.