ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

LiUK in married name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

newbiepk

LiUK in married name

Post by newbiepk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:08 am

Dear all members,

I will be grateful if you can help me with the following 2 questions. I am in the process of applying for citizenship under 5 years rule.

1) I came to the UK as spouse of a BC but filed for divorce last year. I fulfil all other requirements, my question is do I need to submit my original marriage certificate with application as it is with my lawyer at the moment.

2) My LiUK test which I took in 2012 has my married surname which is not the one on the passport as I never officially changed my maiden name after being married. Will this be a problem? Shall I explain that in cover letter?

Thank you in advance!

noajthan

Re: LiUK in married name

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:56 am

newbiepk wrote:Dear all members,

I will be grateful if you can help me with the following 2 questions. I am in the process of applying for citizenship under 5 years rule.

1) I came to the UK as spouse of a BC but filed for divorce last year. I fulfil all other requirements, my question is do I need to submit my original marriage certificate with application as it is with my lawyer at the moment.

2) My LiUK test which I took in 2012 has my married surname which is not the one on the passport as I never officially changed my maiden name after being married. Will this be a problem? Shall I explain that in cover letter?

Thank you in advance!
1) Are you applying in own right or as a spouse?

2) Provide appropriate supporting documentation (eg marriage certificate) plus cogent cover letter (or paragraph in 'further info' section of form).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:19 am

newbiepk wrote:2) My LiUK test which I took in 2012 has my married surname which is not the one on the passport as I never officially changed my maiden name after being married. Will this be a problem? Shall I explain that in cover letter?
Yes, it may cause problems. You will most probably not be allowed to have passports in two different names. If you have a BRP to show your ILR, you will lose that BRP when you naturalise, so if you want to use your married name after the divorce, you must change the name in your passport before you apply for a British passport, as if you are a visa national you may not be able to return to the UK once you become British.

newbiepk

Post by newbiepk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:31 am

[quote="noajthan"]
1) Are you applying in own right or as a spouse?

2) Provide appropriate supporting documentation (eg marriage certificate) plus cogent cover letter (or paragraph in 'further info' section of form).[/quote]

1) I will be applying in my own right. I don't think my husband will give me his passport to apply as a spouse of british citizen. I satisfy both applying basis requirements as I am not officially divorced and have completed stay in the UK required under 5 years rule.

2) I submitted the same LiUK test certificate for the ILR and my BRP still has my official name which is my maiden name. I think if I explain properly that my official documents still carried my maiden name but sometimes I used to use my married name then I don't think it should be a major problem. Please correct my understanding.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:44 pm

newbiepk wrote:
noajthan wrote:1) Are you applying in own right or as a spouse?

2) Provide appropriate supporting documentation (eg marriage certificate) plus cogent cover letter (or paragraph in 'further info' section of form).
1) I will be applying in my own right. I don't think my husband will give me his passport to apply as a spouse of british citizen. I satisfy both applying basis requirements as I am not officially divorced and have completed stay in the UK required under 5 years rule.

2) I submitted the same LiUK test certificate for the ILR and my BRP still has my official name which is my maiden name. I think if I explain properly that my official documents still carried my maiden name but sometimes I used to use my married name then I don't think it should be a major problem. Please correct my understanding.
1) In own right is fine

2) As pointed out, think about name to be naturalised in.

Differences between names are seen by HO/HMPO as different identities. It is problematic.

If reverting to original maiden name,& all current foreign passports are in the same (maiden) name that will simplify matters when it comes to applying for first British passport.
(I imagine you may be planning to reduce your usage of married name anyway),
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

newbiepk

Post by newbiepk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Can you please review the following information on cover letter to clarify differences in names:

I continued to use my maiden name (x A) after marrying and I am known by it for all purposes, however, my LiUK test certificate was recorded by my married name (x R). I have enclosed my marriage certificate, son’s birth certificate and P45 as supporting documentation to show that I was known by husband’s name as well.