ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

More advice on Unmarrie d Partner Visa please

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

beanjay1
Newly Registered

More advice on Unmarrie d Partner Visa please

Post by beanjay1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 am

Hello everyone,

I am new here and I am here because it looks a good place to get some advice. I will try and keep it short and to the point.

I am a British widower living in the Philippines for the last two years with my unmarried partner. (proof available)’

I have been caught out by the British governments 2004 amendment to the National Health Service Act which removes pensioners from entitlement to treatment if they live overseas for more than three months of the year. I am now forced to return and live in the UK and we have applied for an Unmarried Partner Visa, but we have two serious points that we cannot comply with simply because I currently do not live I the UK.

Firstly I have to be able to show that we have accommodation in the UK. I have to have someone in the UK who is willing to give me evidence that we can stay with them after arrival until I have my own accommodation. I have no one I can stay with and we intended to stay in a small guesthouse for a week or so. But problem!!!

The Visa takes two to three months to process so I cannot make any booking for accommodation because I have no idea if the Visa will be granted or, if it is, when that might be. Therefore I have no evidence of suitable accommodation.

Secondly my partner needs to work in order for us to live without the use of Public Funds. She is qualified and experienced but does not qualify for the HSMP. She has been told by various organisations that she will have no problem gaining employment in the UK but cannot be offered employment until after she arrives in the Country. Therefore we cannot provide evidence that we can live without the use of Public Funds.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Bob

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 pm

This is quite a catch 22.

With regard to the accommodation, not easy, but there are places that will take provisional bookings, and this will suffice. The applications do not usually take more than a few weeks. You could even show a letter from somewhere saying "yes, we are likely to have vacancies" and if you show enough money to pay for this then that will suffice.

The money situation is different. Do you have savings?

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

beanjay1
Newly Registered

More advice on Unmarried Partner Visa please

Post by beanjay1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Thank you for your response Victoria, it is most helpful and I can follow that up.
No I don’t have any savings. This question always reminds me that there is one law for the rich and another for the poor. If I had money I would not be I the position that I am in at the moment, I would just pay for my medical treatment and remain where I am. ( I paid NHS contributions for over 50 years)

Since my posting we have managed to find someone willing to offer my partner a well paid and stable job subject to a satisfactory personal interview after arrival. We can produce checkable documentary evidence to support our likely income and I believe that this will meet the requirement.

I would be very grateful if you have any further helpful comment or suggestions similar to those already given..

Many thanks

Bob