ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa fee paid by employer..Any tax I need to pay?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gaurav7
Newly Registered

Visa fee paid by employer..Any tax I need to pay?

Post by gaurav7 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:17 am

Hi,
Anybody aware about taxation rules, if my employer agrees to pay the visa fee for Tier-2 General visa renewal? Do I need to pay any tax on that amount?
Is it allowed, or employer need to show this on CoS by ticking the box "Certify Maintenance"?
Thanks
Gaurav

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Visa fee paid by employer..Any tax I need to pay?

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 am

There is probably two views on this one.

It could be considered a legitimate business expense to maintain an employees working position and therefore no personal taxation issues.

Technically it could be a benefit in kind and there is an expectation that you as an individual have a requirement to maintain your right to remain.

I have never seen a P11D with a visa application payment declared so it would appear that those that are lucky enough for their employer to pay their application fees seem to think it is not a benefit in kind.

In any event HO don't care who pays....
HMRC chances of spotting it are slim to nil if not declared ( assuming it is a benefit in kind) and even if identified is not going to be show stopper for ILR

Anup977
Newly Registered

Post by Anup977 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Frontier Mole is right to point out that UKVI don't care who pays but if you want to stay on right side of the law and be ethical its better to disclose on P11D as 'other benefit'. It's generous of you company to pay all your fees why not pay 20% on that and live in peace. Try not to avoid tax you never know what future holds.

ravi_ei

Post by ravi_ei » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi Gaurav7, Anup,

May be you will find the link helpful in this matter

http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/is-v ... 39711.html

Regards