ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen - permanent residency requirements

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

salmintin

EU citizen - permanent residency requirements

Post by salmintin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:15 pm

I moved to England in 2010 (as a student) and in principle after 5 years I qualify for permanent residency, however I am not sure I meet the residency requirements at this point. I spent hours researching the topic and I kept finding conflicting or vague information in many places.

The problem is that in 2013 I left the country for 190 consecutive days. In principle if I apply at the right time I can split this absence into two consecutive periods that each have no more than 180 days absence, however will that still work given that my absence was of more than 180 days in a single stretch?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: EU citizen - permanent residency requirements

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Sounds like you're non-EU so you'll have to wait 10 years before being able to apply.

Just clarify what country(ies) you are a citizen of.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

salmintin

Post by salmintin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Sorry, I am Romanian, so EU citizen. On a second thought I feel like I didn't post in the right place. :?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:31 pm

You have posted in the correct place.

Did you have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI) or a foreing (non UK) EHIC card while you were a student?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

salmintin

Post by salmintin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks for your reply.

No, I did not have any of that. The only document of any kind I held at that time was a Yellow Registration Certificate, if it makes a difference.

salmintin

Post by salmintin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:59 pm

To be more precise:

I was a student between 2010-2013. Then after graduation I left for 190 consecutive days, then I came back and started work :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:46 pm

salmintin wrote:To be more precise:

I was a student between 2010-2013. Then after graduation I left for 190 consecutive days, then I came back and started work :)
Continuity of residence is calculated in 12 month periods from date you entered UK.

When was that?

As a student you needed CSI or EHIC or a RC issued to you as a student in/before 2011.
Blue/yellow card may be enough.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

salmintin

Post by salmintin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:07 pm

noajthan wrote:
salmintin wrote:To be more precise:

Continuity of residence is calculated in 12 month periods from date you entered UK.

When was that?

As a student you needed CSI or EHIC or a RC issued to you as a student in/before 2011.
Blue/yellow card may be enough.
Ah sadly I don't recall ever knowing about CSI / EHIC / RC. I'm a bit surprised about these concepts, as I have studied the topic a bit and this is the first time I hear about them. Maybe I've looked at the wrong places all along :x

Anyway, I moved to England early September (4th?) 2010 and I received my yellow registration certificate early January 2011.

I didn't see anyone saying anything about the fact that I was absent from the country for 190 consecutive days, so I assume that'll be OK as long as this period can be split into two separate years.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:34 pm

salmintin wrote:
Ah sadly I don't recall ever knowing about CSI / EHIC / RC. I'm a bit surprised about these concepts, as I have studied the topic a bit and this is the first time I hear about them. Maybe I've looked at the wrong places all along :x

Anyway, I moved to England early September (4th?) 2010 and I received my yellow registration certificate early January 2011.

I didn't see anyone saying anything about the fact that I was absent from the country for 190 consecutive days, so I assume that'll be OK as long as this period can be split into two separate years.
That blue/yellow card may be enough to excuse you from need for CSI.

As you arrived in September count up all absences in periods running Sept-Sept.

If less than 180 days in each 12 month period then all good.
If over 180 days then its gameover & residency was broken.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.