ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality could it be revoked -not free to marry.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: British Nationality could it be revoked -not free to mar

Post by Richard W » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:48 pm

noajthan wrote:He may have been domiciled in US at time of 1st marriage;
1st wedding was in US! not in Pakistan - does Pakistan have jurisdiction over US wedding contracts?
Why not? Scottish courts can terminate marriages contracted in England and English courts can terminate marriages contracted in Thailand. What matters is the domicile of the couple at the time of the divorce, and it need not be the same for the husband and wife. If the couple must have the same domicile, then the couple as a legal fiction will have been domiciled in Pakistan at the time of the divorce.

Now, where things get complicated is whether various jurisdictions recognise one another's decisions. There's the complication that in at least some cases, England (and I think also Scotland, but I may be wrong) only recognise 'divorce by proceedings'. There's an issue with 'bare talaq', and from the site I quoted I suspect that Pakistani case law on the matter is shifting. To complicate matters, we must distinguish Pakistan from Pakistani-controlled Kashmir.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: British Nationality could it be revoked -not free to mar

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:25 pm

Residence in Pakistan from June to October 2005 (if the case), doesn't make her domicile...it makes her a short-term visitor.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.