ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions regarding BRP card and Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Questions regarding BRP card and Naturalisation

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:17 am

Hello,

I wonder if one of you can help me with this.

I understand I've to return my BRP card along with the AN form, or within 5 days after being granted a citizenship (or face £1,000 fine). In the AN, it states that if I need a BRP card after naturalisation, I can apply for one ;

Does anybody know what this BRP look like? Does it say you're a citizen on it, or does it just say you've been granted a permanent residence?

Also, do they actually come after you with a penalty for keeping a BRP card?

I understand I won't *need* it after being naturalised but nevertheless, I would really like to know this.

Thank you.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Questions regarding BRP card and Naturalisation

Post by ohara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:07 am

gnua88 wrote: In the AN, it states that if I need a BRP card after naturalisation, I can apply for one ;
Where does it say this :?:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 am

gnua88 wrote:In the AN, it states that if I need a BRP card after naturalisation, I can apply for one ;
Where in the forum does it say this, what page number and what section number?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:11 am

ohara wrote:
gnua88 wrote: In the AN, it states that if I need a BRP card after naturalisation, I can apply for one ;
Where does it say this :?:
AN Form, Page 24 of 31, Section 6.11 - Do you want the Home Office to retain your BRP?

Yes - I confirm that I do not require evidence of my immigration status. Should I subsequently require evidence of my status, I will need to apply for a replacement BRP at my expense.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:15 am

I think you have interpreted it wrong, it's more a case of needing a BRP if your naturalisation application is refused etc. You certainly don't need a BRP after you naturalise and I don't think it's even possible to get one if you are British :?

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:23 am

ohara wrote:I think you have interpreted it wrong, it's more a case of needing a BRP if your naturalisation application is refused etc. You certainly don't need a BRP after you naturalise and I don't think it's even possible to get one if you are British :?
Ah, I see your point. So, it's intended for in case of refusal, is it? That makes sense...

I understand BRP isn't relevant after naturalisation, yet I may have a scenario where I might have a requirement...(I don't want to get into details) which is why I'm quite curious about this.

Thank you.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:30 am

Yes I think it's mainly in case you are refused. I'm not sure whether HO destroy the BRP while they are processing your application or not, as it seems silly that they could not simply send it back with the refusal letter if your application goes that way.

To avoid worry you could use NCS who will send a copy of the BRP so you can keep the original. As you are probably aware, you are legally required to return it once you are naturalised though.

If you need an alternative to a BRP once you become British, you can apply to have a CoE-RoA placed in your foreign passport: https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:41 am

gnua88 wrote:I understand BRP isn't relevant after naturalisation, yet I may have a scenario where I might have a requirement...(I don't want to get into details) which is why I'm quite curious about this.
Need a BRP for what? Stating ILR? ILR is invalidated and cancelled once you become British. You can't get a BRP that say you are 'British', they don't exist.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:43 am

Cool, I might just go through the NCS then...yeah, I'm aware of that 'must return the BRP after naturalisation' rule. I'm just wondering whether if they actually enforce that.

Can you please tell me a little more about CoE-RoA? I checked the link but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info.

I'm originally from outside the EEA and not part of Commonwealth either so I'm not sure if I would qualify that. But if yes, will that sticker be on my other passport?

Also, do you know exactly what it'd say? Would it say that I'm a citizen, etc? Or would it just say I'm entitled to work, live, etc. in the UK?

I appreciate your replies. Thank you.

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:45 am

CR001 wrote:
gnua88 wrote:I understand BRP isn't relevant after naturalisation, yet I may have a scenario where I might have a requirement...(I don't want to get into details) which is why I'm quite curious about this.
Need a BRP for what? Stating ILR? ILR is invalidated and cancelled once you become British. You can't get a BRP that say you are 'British', they don't exist.
Yeah, I didn't know BRP didn't exist for Naturalised citizens. That text I quoted earlier, I thought it meant there was one :|

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:52 am

gnua88 wrote:I'm originally from outside the EEA and not part of Commonwealth either so I'm not sure if I would qualify that. But if yes, will that sticker be on my other passport?

Also, do you know exactly what it'd say? Would it say that I'm a citizen, etc? Or would it just say I'm entitled to work, live, etc. in the UK?

It's kinda like a vignette that goes in your foreign passport and allows you to enter the UK unrestricted and without a British passport.

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 am

ohara wrote:
gnua88 wrote:I'm originally from outside the EEA and not part of Commonwealth either so I'm not sure if I would qualify that. But if yes, will that sticker be on my other passport?

It's kinda like a vignette that goes in your foreign passport and allows you to enter the UK unrestricted and without a British passport.

That might just work, it looks awesome. Thank you!

I'll look into that.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:32 pm

gnua88 wrote:
ohara wrote:

That might just work, it looks awesome. Thank you!

I'll look into that.
Remember that these expire with your foreign passport and you would have to reapply for it each time and will cost £472 from 18th March. British passport is substantially cheaper.

Does your home country allow dual nationality?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:35 pm

CR001 wrote: Does your home country allow dual nationality?
You've sort of isolated what I'm trying to find out, haven't you lol. I was trying to dance around this but no, it doesn't.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Is it India by any chance? :lol:

You need to weigh up what is more important to you. As said above the CoE-RoA is only valid for as long as the passport it is in and from the middle of next month will cost £472. It is possible it will increase in price in the future too.

If you can deal with losing your other citizenship, a British passport is £72.50 :wink:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:47 pm

You are British from the date you attend your ceremony and receive your certificate of naturalisation . A British Passport is only a travel document.

You will effectively lose your foreign nationality on the date of your British ceremony. CoE/RoA is not going to help you here.

There is no way that you can 'beat the system' if your country does not allow dual nationality. Only British Citizens can get CoE or RoA, so it will be known you are British by choice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Is it India by any chance? :lol:
Nope though you're not far off haha.
There is no way that you can 'beat the system' if your country does not allow dual nationality. Only British Citizens can get CoE or RoA, so it will be known you are British by choice.
Yeah, I hear you both. There are some disadvantages of losing my home country's citizenship though the advantages of naturalisation far outweigh them. Still, I guess I need to give me a little more thought.

Thanks for the replies.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:20 pm

gnua88 wrote:Yeah, I hear you both. There are some disadvantages of losing my home country's citizenship though the advantages of naturalisation far outweigh them. Still, I guess I need to give me a little more thought.

Thanks for the replies.
If you don't want to lose your foreign citizenship, the only option you have is to NOT apply for British citizenship. You cannot have the 'best of both' unfortunately. You will lose your home country citizenship automatically as soon as you attend your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:24 pm

CR001 wrote:
gnua88 wrote:Yeah, I hear you both. There are some disadvantages of losing my home country's citizenship though the advantages of naturalisation far outweigh them. Still, I guess I need to give me a little more thought.

Thanks for the replies.
If you don't want to lose your foreign citizenship, the only option you have is to NOT apply for British citizenship. You cannot have the 'best of both' unfortunately. You will lose your home country citizenship automatically as soon as you attend your ceremony.
The UK is fine with dual-citizenship as with quite a few other countries. It's my home country that's at fault.....so frustrating. I then would have to apply for a visa to go back, go figure lol.

Anywa, c'est la vie.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:45 pm

CR001 wrote:There is no way that you can 'beat the system' if your country does not allow dual nationality. Only British Citizens can get CoE or RoA, so it will be known you are British by choice.
That's not quite true. There are Commonwealth citizens born before 1983 who have Right of Abode. In particular Singaporeans, Malaysians and Indians may have Right of Abode but no form of British nationality.

Additionally, it isn't always obvious how someone became British. The former Thai prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva didn't become British by choice; he's only British because he was born in Newcastle.
Last edited by Richard W on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Richard W wrote:
CR001 wrote:There is no way that you can 'beat the system' if your country does not allow dual nationality. Only British Citizens can get CoE or RoA, so it will be known you are British by choice.
That's not quite true. There are Commonwealth citizens born before 1983 who have Right of Abode. In particular Singaporeans, Malaysians and Indians may have Right of Abode but no form of British nationality.
My answer was relevant to the OPs question about naturalisation. You are again posting a point that is not relevant and will confuse rather than help.

Applying for naturalisation is an application by choice. No one is forcing the OP to apply are they?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:22 pm

CR001 wrote:No one is forcing the OP to apply are they?
I'm not so sure. If the OP is young, maintaining a BRP for life could get quite onerous. 60 years worth of utility bills is a lot to supply towards the end of one's life. The penalties for failing in renewing one's BRP may include dismissal (TUPE) and soon, I suspect, homelessness.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Richard W wrote:
CR001 wrote:No one is forcing the OP to apply are they?
I'm not so sure. If the OP is young, maintaining a BRP for life could get quite onerous. 60 years worth of utility bills is a lot to supply towards the end of one's life. The penalties for failing in renewing one's BRP may include dismissal (TUPE) and soon, I suspect, homelessness.
That's an extreme and rather pessimistic view (dismissal/homelessness)! 10 year renewal of the BRP is in line with British passport and photo card driving licence renewal and we all seem to manage that without any problem.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

gnua88
Mood:
Myanmar

Post by gnua88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 pm

I appreciate all the replies.
That's an extreme and rather pessimistic view (dismissal/homelessness)! 10 year renewal of the BRP is in line with British passport and photo card driving licence renewal and we all seem to manage that without any problem.
Thankfully, I'm a working professional with a sufficient amount of income so money isn't the issue here. I LOVE the UK and this is home to me so I take the naturalisation seriously, and proudly. But obviously, I still have some ties to the birth country which I have to take into consideration. So for now, I'm just going to keep the ILR BRP.

I guess the other thing is the fear of UKVI scrapping the rights to naturalise for ILR holders. I've waited and jumped through various hoops so if that happens, I'd be thoroughly gutted lol.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. I love this forum. You people really know your stuff.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Richard W wrote:I'm not so sure. If the OP is young, maintaining a BRP for life could get quite onerous. 60 years worth of utility bills is a lot to supply towards the end of one's life. The penalties for failing in renewing one's BRP may include dismissal (TUPE) and soon, I suspect, homelessness.
My last comment on your analysis. Not sure why you think '60 years worth of utility bills' would be required just to renew a BRP ILR card or perhaps later on after a few years applying for citizenship, when these documents are not required now if following the UK immigration route of visa>>ILR>>BC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)