ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions regarding BRP card and Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: Questions regarding BRP card and Naturalisation

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Casa wrote:That's an extreme and rather pessimistic view (dismissal/homelessness)!
What do you think will happen to those on ILR and without a BRP when a new employer takes over the business? Do you think he'll take a risk with a transferred employee because the old employer didn't have any problems? Those with only an ILR stamp in an expired passport are liable to have to fork out £827-20 to get a BRP in short order (PEO + TOC + enrolment). Those whose BRP wasn't replaced are in trouble. There is no appeal against a refusal to renew a BRP - it's "not an immigration decision".

Perhaps someone who never had an ILR stamp or sticker and now lacks a BRP can wing it with a current driving licence and a letter from a local chemist. But otherwise...

...If one's rents one's home and the freehold is sold, will the new landlord inherit the old landlord's statutory excuses? Perhaps I'm wrong and he will, but otherwise, the new landlord will have no statutory excuse. The tenor of the Immigration Act 2015 is towards eviction, but perhaps it isn't quite as bad as I fear.

Is this why we can lose our driving licenses if the SS thinks we are illegal immigrants?
Casa wrote:10 year renewal of the BRP is in line with British passport and photo card driving licence renewal and we all seem to manage that without any problem.
If ILR BRPs were renewed the same way as driving licenses, there ought to be no problem, as the process is pleasantly simple. And, of course, there are only a few million driving licences that are out of date in some way. When one gets too old to drive, one doesn't need to bother having a driving licence.

As with a driving licence, all changes of address have to be notified.

There is a strong tendency only to renew passports when needed. However, I must admit I am now too nervous to use a photo booth and paid extra to have my photo taken professionally. Renewing passports is now generally easy - one gets new photos, fills in the form, and submits the old passport. They'll even accept the last passport but one if one's latest passport has gone missing. It seems that BRP holders are required to have a current passport when renewing their BRP - or have I misread the renewal form?

For women, name synchronisation is going to be fun if they marry. First, foreign passport, and then BRP. I wonder where bank accounts and driving licence come in that sequence.

However, every time one renews a BRP evidencing ILR, one has to provide evidence of continued residence in the UK since one was granted ILR. Note - since one was granted ILR, not since the last application for a BRP evidencing it. A recommended form of evidence is not passports, but utility bills. As I say, 60 years worth of utility bills is a lot to retain.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:05 pm

CR001 wrote:Not sure why you think '60 years worth of utility bills' would be required just to renew a BRP ILR card or perhaps later on after a few years applying for citizenship, when these documents are not required now if following the UK immigration route of visa>>ILR>>BC.
You said no-one was being forced down the route of ILR>>BC. I am contending that there is pressure. It would have been greater had Labour been in power. They were talking of making those who'd forfeit their original nationalities a special case; everyone else would be expected to naturalise.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 pm

https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

£183 transfer fee - expired passport ILR to BRP
If you have ILR you can transfer your visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘no time limit stamp’ (NTL).
£260 No Time Limit (NTL) stamp

Simple. Life is a glass half full for some...and half empty for others. :|

Edit: Perhaps someone who never had an ILR stamp or sticker and now lacks a BRP can wing it with a current driving licence and a letter from a local chemist. But otherwise...
This make little sense as no ILR holders would 'never' have had a visa vignette in their passports or a BRP. :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Casa wrote:https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

£183 transfer fee - expired passport ILR to BRP
If you have ILR you can transfer your visa to a BRP by applying for a ‘no time limit stamp’ (NTL).
£260 No Time Limit (NTL) stamp

Simple. Life is a glass half full for some...and half empty for others. :|
ILR passport to BRP is £260, going up to £308 in March. (Other statuses to BRP is £182, going up to £223 in March.) Biometric enrolment costs an extra £19.20.

An employee may be suspended until they can provide their employer with an excuse. Applications in person, to shave a long wait off the process, cost £400, going up to £500 in March.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Casa wrote:Perhaps someone who never had an ILR stamp or sticker and now lacks a BRP can wing it with a current driving licence and a letter from a local chemist. But otherwise...
This make little sense as no ILR holders would 'never' have had a visa vignette in their passports or a BRP. :?
For the right-to-rent, an ILR sticker is good indefinitely, so so long as they don't lose the passport holding it, they're covered.

Those who have only ever had a BRP, and stay at ILR, have to renew it every 10 years as adults. One is liable to fines (and possibly worse) if one does not apply to renew it. The old BRP is submitted as part of the renewal process. If the Home Office declines to replace it, there is no appeal ("it is not an immigration decision"), and the ILR holder is left at best with letters that say they do not convey a grant of ILR; he has no other primary evidence of having been granted ILR. That would also happen if biometric enrolment could not be achieved. Therefore, it is possible for an ILR holder to be left with no acceptable evidence that they hold ILR.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:47 pm

Proof of parent's ILR is also very important for UK born children.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.