ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visas ?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tj777
Newly Registered

Visas ?

Post by tj777 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello all. just a quick intro im a british national lived in England all my life, 50 years of age, and I am married to a thai woman,and it was the best thing I have done in my life. :) The reason I have joined this forum is, so I can get some good solid advice from members which are in the same situation as myself or have been. I have done lots of reading over the past few months and still don't understand most of what I have read regarding getting a visa for my wife to come to the uk on a permanent basis. she is here now on a visit visa. and we are enjoying our times together before she has got to go back next month. whilst I do not meet the criteria of the 18.600 which the british government has made, I have recently been informed that because I am a carer for my father, I do not have to show the financial side of things, but must meet the adequate maintenance side, now this is where I do not understand. as a carer I receive 62 pounds a week for looking after my father, but I am also in a group called the work related activity group. I think it comes under employment and support allowance. I do not pay rent or council tax ,and receive 150 pounds every two weeks i live in a 2 bedroomed house by myself . thanks for taking time to read this and hopefully help me kind regards tj.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: VISAS ?

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:10 pm

A quick Google tells me for a couple the maintenance level is £144 a week.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Wanderer wrote:A quick Google tells me for a couple the maintenance level is £144 a week.
Which is the amount you will need to show you have remaining weekly after rent or mortgage and council tax have been deducted. Do you have your rent paid by the local authority due to you being your father's carer? From what you have posted, unless you have other income, your fortnightly payment of £150 fails to meet the adequate maintenance level of £144 per week.

Bear in mind that the route to permanent settlement for a spouse comes at a considerable financial cost.
From April:
Spouse entry visa £1195 + £600 NHS surcharge
First extension after 2.5 years - £811 postal application + £500 NHS surcharge or £1311 in-person application + £500 NHS surcharge
Permanent residence (ILR) after 5 years - £1875 postal or £2375 in-person
British citizenship - £1156

Visa fees generally increase annually. A low income/carers allowance doesn't exempt you from paying the full fees.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Just to add to Casa's admirably clear explanation of the costs, they are the costs at the moment.

The Home Office puts up application prices (what else can we call it) every April 6th. In the past two years, increases have been 50% and 25% for most non-EEA applications. The government have the declared aim of making the immigration teams entirely self-funding. And given that by EU law, EEA applicants can not be charged more than £65 per application (they are supposed to be technically free, but the UK government has still managed to charge for it), the increases fall disproportionately on non-EEA applicants.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Also not to forget that in April the adequate maintenance level may be raised.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Wanderer wrote:
A quick Google tells me for a couple the maintenance level is £144 a week.

by Casa
Which is the amount you will need to show you have remaining weekly after rent or mortgage and council tax have been deducted. Do you have your rent paid by the local authority due to you being your father's carer? From what you have posted, unless you have other income, your fortnightly payment of £150 fails to meet the adequate maintenance level of £144 per week.

Thank you kindly for explaining that to me wanderer that helps a lot. And yes casa as im a carer. My rent and council tax is now paid by my local authority , I receive employment and support allowance every 2 weeks at the rate of 150 pounds and also receive 125 pounds every 2 weeks from them for being my fathers carer, which in total comes to 137 weekly now, so im unsure If, I am just short of the 144 by 7 pounds or does my carers money not come into it,? And if so, I am sure I can get a part time job at night to make the difference up. and I do have savings just over the ten thousand mark. thanks for replying so prompt .

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:27 pm

Carers allowance will qualify, but anything short of the set level for adequate allowance and the application will fail. Bear in mind that this level may increase in April. Also if you do find employment to make up the shortfall, you will have to wait until you have 6 months payslips and corresponding bank statements as proof of earned income, before submitting your fiancee's visa application.
Only savings over £16,000 held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months will be considered.
(Casa, not CR001)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:19 am

Thank you lots for responding so quickly again :) Just a few more questions as im not realy sure what is meant by set level for adequate allowance ??. Is that the same as adequate maintenance level ??. And if so does that mean I am just short by seven pounds, as I receive 137.00 pounds weekly ?? . And is fiancé visa the same as spouse visa. As I am already married ??, And thanks for explaining the six month statements from proof of income and bank statements. I do appreciate all the advice I can get, :)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Just to add to Casa's admirably clear explanation of the costs, they are the costs at the moment.

The Home Office puts up application prices (what else can we call it) every April 6th. In the past two years, increases have been 50% and 25% for most non-EEA applications. The government have the declared aim of making the immigration teams entirely self-funding. And given that by EU law, EEA applicants can not be charged more than £65 per application (they are supposed to be technically free, but the UK government has still managed to charge for it), the increases fall disproportionately on non-EEA applicants. Thanks for the info simon did not see your post before my bad . :oops:

tj777 wrote:Thank you lots for responding so quickly again :) Just a few more questions as im not realy sure what is meant by set level for adequate allowance ??. Is that the same as adequate maintenance level ??. And if so does that mean I am just short by seven pounds, as I receive 137.00 pounds weekly ?? . And is fiancé visa the same as spouse visa. As I am already married ??, And thanks for explaining the six month statements from proof of income and bank statements. I do appreciate all the advice I can get, :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:29 pm

tj777 wrote:Just to add to Casa's admirably clear explanation of the costs, they are the costs at the moment.

The Home Office puts up application prices (what else can we call it) every April 6th. In the past two years, increases have been 50% and 25% for most non-EEA applications. The government have the declared aim of making the immigration teams entirely self-funding. And given that by EU law, EEA applicants can not be charged more than £65 per application (they are supposed to be technically free, but the UK government has still managed to charge for it), the increases fall disproportionately on non-EEA applicants. Thanks for the info simon did not see your post before my bad . :oops:
tj777 wrote:Thank you lots for responding so quickly again :) Just a few more questions as im not realy sure what is meant by set level for adequate allowance ??. Is that the same as adequate maintenance level ??. And if so does that mean I am just short by seven pounds, as I receive 137.00 pounds weekly ?? . And is fiancé visa the same as spouse visa. As I am already married ??, And thanks for explaining the six month statements from proof of income and bank statements. I do appreciate all the advice I can get, :)
No, as you are applying for your spouse (wife) not a fiancee. :| Which is why I've given you the costs/procedure for a spouse visa application. Yes, according to the adequate maintenance level you are short of £7 per week. As already warned, the £144 level may be increased in April.
(Casa, not CR001)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Thank you for explaining that to me casa.. I was a little confused when you wrote in this post fiancé visa :wink:. but all good in the end. once again thank you :)
Casa wrote:Carers allowance will qualify, but anything short of the set level for adequate allowance and the application will fail. Bear in mind that this level may increase in April. Also if you do find employment to make up the shortfall, you will have to wait until you have 6 months payslips and corresponding bank statements as proof of earned income, before submitting your fiancee's visa application.
Only savings over £16,000 held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months will be considered.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:00 pm

My fault for confusing you. I should have written 'wife' and not 'fiancee'. :oops:
(Casa, not CR001)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 am

Casa wrote:My fault for confusing you. I should have written 'wife' and not 'fiancee'. :oops:

No problem casa, :) We all make mistakes from time to time including myself. :) And the man or woman known on here as secret simon is a clever educated person:) Once again thanks for all replys. Keep up the good work :) .

ConfusedPandaDotCom
Newly Registered

Post by ConfusedPandaDotCom » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 am

Ummmm..? Where does it say that it has to be equal to or more than £144? Are you certain it's not meant to be £114.85?

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Back again after reading more,. Well i have now got a part time job. But after reading on the uk gov website. I can not see anywhere on that site where it states 144 pounds for a couple!..(.ie adequate maintenance...) All I can see is the 114 pounds for a couple,. Can someone with a bit knowledge chime in on this. Thanks. :)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:27 pm

ConfusedPandaDotCom wrote:Ummmm..? Where does it say that it has to be equal to or more than £144? Are you certain it's not meant to be £114.85?

I see you looked at similar info I am looking at thanks. :o

quote="tj777"]Back again after reading more,. Well i have now got a part time job. But after reading on the uk gov website. I can not see anywhere on that site where it states 144 pounds for a couple!..(.ie adequate maintenance...) All I can see is the 114 pounds for a couple,. Can someone with a bit knowledge chime in on this. Thanks. :)[/quote]

ConfusedPandaDotCom
Newly Registered

Post by ConfusedPandaDotCom » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:32 pm

tj777 wrote:
ConfusedPandaDotCom wrote:Ummmm..? Where does it say that it has to be equal to or more than £144? Are you certain it's not meant to be £114.85?

I see you looked at similar info I am looking at thanks. :o

quote="tj777"]Back again after reading more,. Well i have now got a part time job. But after reading on the uk gov website. I can not see anywhere on that site where it states 144 pounds for a couple!..(.ie adequate maintenance...) All I can see is the 114 pounds for a couple,. Can someone with a bit knowledge chime in on this. Thanks. :)
[/quote]

Lol.. I know right? I've not once seen that £144 figure.. Other thing to be careful about will be any increases in housing costs (such as a council tax increase if you pay council tax that is)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Wanderer wrote:A quick Google tells me for a couple the maintenance level is £144 a week.

Thanks for info. ConfusedPandaDotCom :)

Wanderer can you show me where it says or states that the level is 144 pounds for a couple. :)

tj777
Newly Registered

Post by tj777 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:29 pm

A quick google tells me you do not know what you are talking about :lol:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:19 pm

tj777 wrote:

Apologies, I can't find it either now! Suspect I was on the Special Brew that morning......

Strike from the record your honour!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ConfusedPandaDotCom
Newly Registered

Post by ConfusedPandaDotCom » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 pm

tj777 wrote:

Hi there, any updates at all fella? Hopefully it all got sorted for you