ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Treaty Rights after getting PR for naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dhrupadidhamaka
Newly Registered

Treaty Rights after getting PR for naturalization

Post by dhrupadidhamaka » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:27 am

Hello, I am non EEA national family member of EEA national wife. On 16th Feb I got my PR. As we have two little kids my wife want to quit her job and look after our kids.

My Query is: If my EEA national wife quit her job or stop exercising treaty rights, will it have any effect on my naturalization application.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice

dhrupadidhamaka
Newly Registered

Re: Treaty Rights after getting PR for naturalization

Post by dhrupadidhamaka » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:31 pm

CAN YOU PLEASE SOMEONE ADVICE ME...

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:33 pm

There is no need to exercise treaty rights once PR has been obtained.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:25 am

dhrupadidhamaka wrote:Hello, I am non EEA national family member of EEA national wife. On 16th Feb I got my PR. As we have two little kids my wife want to quit her job and look after our kids.

My Query is: If my EEA national wife quit her job or stop exercising treaty rights, will it have any effect on my naturalization application.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice
You ofcourse do not exercise treaty rights your EEA sponsor does that 'for you'..
So you cannot stop exercising them (you weren't ever anyway).

Have you applied for a PR card? Is that what you mean by "got PR"?

How about your wife - does she have a PR card to confirm she has acquired PR?
She will need one if she has ambitions for privilege of citizenship.

If all good she can then put her feet up, no need to exercise treaty rights anymore.

Note PR can be lost by prolonged absence from UK so don't go off on a gap year or 2.

Naturalisation comes under completely different legislation so once you (/your sponsor) have settled status there is no connection back to how it was obtained.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:12 am

noajthan wrote:How about your wife - does she have a PR card to confirm she has acquired PR?
She will need one if she has ambitions for privilege of citizenship.
It might be a good idea for her to get one just in case some idiot has a crackdown on EU citizens with no right to be in the UK - e.g. by suddenly charging them thousands for operations on the NHS. You might have problems proving PR was achieved in the 2010's decades from now.