ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NCS Appt after Fees increase pls advise

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jain208
United Kingdom

NCS Appt after Fees increase pls advise

Post by jain208 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi,

My NCS appointment for naturalisation is on 29th March, but just came to know that the fees is increasing on 18th March. In this case, what are my options? I will call them up tomorrow to check if they can give me an appointment before 18th March (I checked online and there was no appointment available), but how helpful are they in such scenarios.
A long shot, but as I took the appointment before 18th March, is there a possibility that I be charged the old fees for naturalisation.

Thanks
Abhi

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Fees increase from 18th March

Post by ohara » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:31 pm

You will be charged the new fee. Your best bet is to try and get an appointment before the 18th, but I suspect you are not the only one in the area who knows about the fee increase, and this is why people are rushing to book :wink:

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:32 pm

jain208 wrote:as I took the appointment before 18th March, is there a possibility that I be charged the old fees for naturalisation.
Fees for naturalisation application are the fees applicable on the day you attend NCS or the day you post the application.
jain208 wrote:how helpful are they in such scenarios.
Depends on individual NCSes. Remember that you can shop around for NCS services. You don't have to go to the one in your council. You can use any one that is convenient. I used the NCS in the neighbouring borough from my place of work, miles away from where I live.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NCS Appt after Fees increase pls advise

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 am

Didn't you already apply for naturalisation in January 2015??

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1136748
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jain208
United Kingdom

Post by jain208 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 am

CR001 wrote:Didn't you already apply for naturalisation in January 2015??

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1136748
I meant to do at the time but for some personal reasons, I couldn't. :-(

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:30 am

Are you aware there have been 2 new versions of the AN form since you last looked to apply? Also are you aware of the requirement for a permanent residence card / document certifying permanent residence now :?:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:33 am

ohara wrote:Also are you aware of the requirement for a permanent residence card / document certifying permanent residence now :?:
No, this is not correct for this user. The OP is not an EU citizen but from India. Document certifying PR is irrelevant.

Please make sure you read posts properly and give correct advice to avoid confusion.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:11 am

Sorry he didn't mention he was Indian :oops:

There is of course requirement to return BRP after ceremony now :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:18 am

ohara wrote:Sorry he didn't mention he was Indian :oops:
The content and context of previous posts (also, to a degree the username) give a strong sense that the member hails from Indian sub-continent.

Its always good to get a handle on the whole picture when contributing in order to deliver maximum value,
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

secret.simon wrote:.... the day you post the application.
Isn't it the day the HO received the application instead posting date?
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

jain208
United Kingdom

Post by jain208 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:07 am

ohara wrote:Are you aware there have been 2 new versions of the AN form since you last looked to apply? Also are you aware of the requirement for a permanent residence card / document certifying permanent residence now :?:
Hi ohara,

Yes, I have filled up the new version of the form.
Do you mean Biometric Residence Permit as a proof of permanent residence? Is there any other document that is required for this?

Abhi.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am

jain208 wrote:
ohara wrote:Are you aware there have been 2 new versions of the AN form since you last looked to apply? Also are you aware of the requirement for a permanent residence card / document certifying permanent residence now :?:
Hi ohara,

Yes, I have filled up the new version of the form.
Do you mean Biometric Residence Permit as a proof of permanent residence? Is there any other document that is required for this?

Abhi.
ohara was confused. A Permanent Residence card or certificate is only for those applying as EEA nationals or family of EEA nationals. This doesn't apply to you.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 am

There were some big changes in the November 2015 and January 2016 versions of the form.

The first is that EEA nationals or family members of EEA nationals must submit proof of permanent residence in the form of a permanent residence card or document - this doesn't apply to people with ILR under UK routes so not applicable to you

The second is that those with biometric residence permits must return these to the Home Office within 5 days of attending their ceremony or risk a £1000 fine.

:)

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:54 am

jain208 wrote:Hi,

My NCS appointment for naturalisation is on 29th March, but just came to know that the fees is increasing on 18th March. In this case, what are my options? I will call them up tomorrow to check if they can give me an appointment before 18th March (I checked online and there was no appointment available), but how helpful are they in such scenarios.
A long shot, but as I took the appointment before 18th March, is there a possibility that I be charged the old fees for naturalisation.

Thanks
Abhi
Hi Abhi,
You can try to book with other councils before 18th March.

Regards,
suresh

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:55 pm

UKBALoveStory wrote:
secret.simon wrote:.... the day you post the application.
Isn't it the day the HO received the application instead posting date?
I stand corrected. It is indeed the day the application is received by the Home Office (if sent by post) that is considered the date of application and not the date it was posted.
noajthan wrote:
ohara wrote:Sorry he didn't mention he was Indian :oops:
The content and context of previous posts (also, to a degree the username) give a strong sense that the member hails from Indian sub-continent.

Its always good to get a handle on the whole picture when contributing in order to deliver maximum value,
Don't worry, ohara :D. As you spend time on these forums you will learn from observation about guessing from people's usernames where they hail from. For instance, a username ending in 786 is highly likely to be from the Indian sub continent. Of course it could also be somebody born in July 1986, but that is much less likely.

Then again, beware of reading too much into names. You would assume that General MacMohan was perhaps an Irishman or Scottish, but he is in fact President of the (Third) Republic of France!!.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:03 pm

secret.simon wrote:For instance, a username ending in 786 is highly likely to be from the Indian sub continent.
Well you learn something new every day :shock:

As for date of application being received, if you use NCS, don't they treat the date of the appointment as the day the application is received :?:

I'm sure I've seen that somewhere on here before. :)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:09 pm

ohara wrote:As for date of application being received, if you use NCS, don't they treat the date of the appointment as the day the application is received :?:

I'm sure I've seen that somewhere on here before. :)
Correct. If submitted via NCS, it is the day the NCS received the application that is counted as the date of submission.

That is why I carefully limited my observation to applications made by post. :)
secret.simon wrote:It is indeed the day the application is received by the Home Office (if sent by post) that is considered the date of application and not the date it was posted.

jain208
United Kingdom

Post by jain208 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I called up the council where my appointment was scheduled to check if there is an earlier day available, but unfortunately there wasn't any. I also tried a lot of other councils but couldn't find anything anywhere... Looks like I will have to shell out the extra fees.. :-( The only good thing is that this will be the last chunk of money going down the drain!!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:21 pm

jain208 wrote:The only good thing is that this will be the last chunk of money going down the drain!!
It doesn't go down the drain. It goes towards funding public services in your new country. And from what I have seen, the money is spent more accountably (not necessarily in a better manner though) here than in most places.

And have you budgeted for the passport application (which is a separate chunk of money)? Or any future applications for OCI/X-visa (another chunk of money that goes elsewhere)?

jain208
United Kingdom

Post by jain208 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi,

So I am finally applying for my naturalisation this time.

Now, I understand that UKBA has taken away the PBS application route for English language requirement.
The option I have now is to apply for English language assessment from NARIC. My question is that do I need to apply for both English language assessment (£55) and statement of comparability (£55), or just English lang assessment is sufficient.

FYI I have a letter from my University confirming that the medium of language for instruction was English.

Thanks,
Abhi.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:16 pm

UKBA was abolished in 2013.

jain208
United Kingdom

Post by jain208 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:39 pm

noajthan wrote:UKBA was abolished in 2013.
My apologies.. I meant Home Office, but I am sure you understood what I meant.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 pm

jain208 wrote:
Yes, 'them'.

No need to apologise but if you started mailing 'UKBA' (to some address found on www) you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Forum FAQs may address your concern, have you checked it?

jain208
United Kingdom

Post by jain208 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:11 pm

noajthan wrote:
jain208 wrote:
Yes, 'them'.

No need to apologise but if you started mailing 'UKBA' (to some address found on www) you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Forum FAQs may address your concern, have you checked it?
I have seen the FAQs but to be honest the wordings on UK Naric's website was too confusing. I know that I need the English Language Assessment, but I am not sure whether I need the Statement of Comparability too or not?

Also, I saw that a few members didn't have good experience with UK Naric, so was wondering is it safer to just give the english test with Trinity?

Thanks,
Abhi.