ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which Passport should i use for Permanent Resident

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

joshuaaubin

Which Passport should i use for Permanent Resident

Post by joshuaaubin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:53 pm

I got an EEA resident card on a non eu passport and the resident card as a family member of an EU, the card is still valid for the next 2 years. I know by right if i am married for more than 5year to an EU National exercising treaty right and living in the uk for 5yrs i am automatically entitled to permanent residence. But the problem here is that I am now an EU citizen myself and according to UK i will need a permanent residence card to apply for british citizen this is the reason i want to apply for the permanent resident card. Please can you Advice which of the 2 passport should i use for the permanent residence application? 1. the Non Eu passport with a residence card stamp on it or 2. My EU Passport? i am confused here. I would prefer to use the EU passport for the application But i dont know is that is possible. Please any help and advice to help me out. Thanks for reading.

noajthan

Re: Which Passport should i use for Permanent Resident

Post by noajthan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:13 pm

joshuaaubin wrote:I got an EEA resident card on a non eu passport and the resident card as a family member of an EU, the card is still valid for the next 2 years. I know by right if i am married for more than 5year to an EU National exercising treaty right and living in the uk for 5yrs i am automatically entitled to permanent residence. But the problem here is that I am now an EU citizen myself and according to UK i will need a permanent residence card to apply for british citizen this is the reason i want to apply for the permanent resident card. Please can you Advice which of the 2 passport should i use for the permanent residence application? 1. the Non Eu passport with a residence card stamp on it or 2. My EU Passport? i am confused here. I would prefer to use the EU passport for the application But i dont know is that is possible. Please any help and advice to help me out. Thanks for reading.
You need to provide details of all previous passports/nationalities.

See Q1.11 & Q1.12 on current PR form.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

joshuaaubin

Post by joshuaaubin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Sorry i don't think it has anything to do with the country where the Nationality comes from, I am asking as a Dual National, (An EU National and NON-EU National) will it matter the passport i should use for a permanent residence application as a (family member of an EEA). Which of the two Passport would be best to use to apply for a Permanent Residence. Should i Continue to a permanent resident with the NON-EU Passport or can i apply Straight away for it with My EU Passport as i a applying as a (family member of an EU). Thanks.

joshuaaubin

Post by joshuaaubin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:51 pm

noajthan wrote:
joshuaaubin wrote:I got an EEA resident card on a non eu passport and the resident card as a family member of an EU, the card is still valid for the next 2 years. I know by right if i am married for more than 5year to an EU National exercising treaty right and living in the uk for 5yrs i am automatically entitled to permanent residence. But the problem here is that I am now an EU citizen myself and according to UK i will need a permanent residence card to apply for british citizen this is the reason i want to apply for the permanent resident card. Please can you Advice which of the 2 passport should i use for the permanent residence application? 1. the Non Eu passport with a residence card stamp on it or 2. My EU Passport? i am confused here. I would prefer to use the EU passport for the application But i dont know is that is possible. Please any help and advice to help me out. Thanks for reading.
You need to provide details of all previous passports/nationalities.

See Q1.11 & Q1.12 on current PR form.
1.11 Your current nationality (as stated in your passport, travel document or national identity card) answer (EU Passport)
1.12 Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, any other nationality or citizenship?
Yes answer (Non-EU Passport)

This is where i am confused which one should come first, the EU Passport or the NOn-EU Passport.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:59 pm

joshuaaubin wrote:Sorry i don't think it has anything to do with the country where the Nationality comes from, I am asking as a Dual National, (An EU National and NON-EU National) will it matter the passport i should use for a permanent residence application as a (family member of an EEA). Which of the two Passport would be best to use to apply for a Permanent Residence. Should i Continue to a permanent resident with the NON-EU Passport or can i apply Straight away for it with My EU Passport as i a applying as a (family member of an EU). Thanks.
I don't really understand the question.
If you're a dependent you are a dependent whether from EU or non-EEA.

If you mean which is your 'primary' nationality of the two then only you know that.

joshuaaubin

Post by joshuaaubin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:08 pm

noajthan wrote:
joshuaaubin wrote:Sorry i don't think it has anything to do with the country where the Nationality comes from, I am asking as a Dual National, (An EU National and NON-EU National) will it matter the passport i should use for a permanent residence application as a (family member of an EEA). Which of the two Passport would be best to use to apply for a Permanent Residence. Should i Continue to a permanent resident with the NON-EU Passport or can i apply Straight away for it with My EU Passport as i a applying as a (family member of an EU). Thanks.
I don't really understand the question.
If you're a dependent you are a dependent whether from EU or non-EEA.

If you mean which is your 'primary' nationality of the two then only you know that.
I am the spouse of an EEA National who is exercising EU treaty rights in the UK, what you are saying is doesn't matter what nationality i am as they are only concern about the sponsor nationality? not mine. that means i can be any nationality i wish to be to apply for the permanent residence card?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:21 pm

joshuaaubin wrote:I am the spouse of an EEA National who is exercising EU treaty rights in the UK, what you are saying is doesn't matter what nationality i am as they are only concern about the sponsor nationality? not mine. that means i can be any nationality i wish to be to apply for the permanent residence card?
Yes, that is it.

All you have to prove is you're the direct family member of your spouse who IS an EEA national (and your sponsor);
:arrow: do this with marriage certificate & with both your ids (eg passports).

joshuaaubin

Post by joshuaaubin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:30 pm

noajthan wrote:
joshuaaubin wrote:I am the spouse of an EEA National who is exercising EU treaty rights in the UK, what you are saying is doesn't matter what nationality i am as they are only concern about the sponsor nationality? not mine. that means i can be any nationality i wish to be to apply for the permanent residence card?
Yes, that is it.

All you have to prove is you're the direct family member of your spouse who IS an EEA national (and your sponsor);
:arrow: do this with marriage certificate & with both your ids (eg passports).
Thanks for the help, i was thinking they would say i have not lived in the UK for 5 years as an EU National myself, that got me confused. lol

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:42 pm

joshuaaubin wrote:Thanks for the help, i was thinking they would say i have not lived in the UK for 5 years as an EU National myself, that got me confused. lol
That shouldn't be an issue as you will have to prove your residency in UK anyway.
(5+ years and any absences within limits).

Taken as a whole it should all make sense & don't forget the caseworkers do this day in, day out.