ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Emigration

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cipher
Newly Registered

Emigration

Post by cipher » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:41 am

Hello all,

Apologies if this post is not in the relevant area.

I have received my ILR last July (Tier 1 General). Due to some personal circumstances, I am now considering moving away from the UK on a permanent basis. I am not likely to come back to the UK again. I was wondering if there was anything I needed to do before I left, in terms of notifying the Home Office etc? Do I need to mail them my ILR card? Also should I get in touch with HMRC and let them know I am leaving? I am not owed any tax refunds and I have no interest in collecting any VAT etc.

I have done the regular thing (inform my employers, give my landlord notice, asked the utilities companies for final bills etc).

I just want to make sure I have sorted out everything before I leave.

I would be grateful for any advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Emigration

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:56 am

No, nothing you need to do.

You will however automatically lose your ILR status once you have been away from the UK for 2 years and if you wish to return at some point, you would need to start from scratch again.

Any reason why you don't wish to apply for citizenship as a plan b?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cipher
Newly Registered

Post by cipher » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello,

Thank you!

I am aware that I will lose my ILR - but I do not foresee myself coming back to the UK.

I am moving away to be closer to my family. My mum and dad are at an age where they need me around. I came to England to study and gain some experience, which I have managed to achieve . I feel like its time to go back home now.

Thank you again. I am grateful for your advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:11 pm

You are welcome and all the best for your next path you will be on :)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:56 am

You still need to let HMRC know if you are leaving the UK. You also have to send them your p45. See below link,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -right-p85

Even if you are not claiming refunds it is still good practise to close the loop with HMRC.

Good luck with your move back.
Cheers,
OR

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:22 pm

there is no need for you to send back your ILR card. personally I would suggest keeping it in case you change your mind about returning.

cipher
Newly Registered

Post by cipher » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:06 am

Thank you everyone!

I will make sure that I give HMRC a call and explain to them about me moving back.

I am going to keep the ILR Card as well as the letter. My understanding is that if I ever chose to come back (even after the 2 year period) as long as I can explain and prove that I intend to move back to the UK, I COULD be allowed in (at the discretion of the UKBA)?

Thanks again for all the valuable advice. It's a bit strange to be going back home. I have spent almost 10 years in Liverpool (the longest I have ever lived in one place) and I feel move scouse than anything else! I fear moving back and adjusting to life will not be easy I think it would be!

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:10 pm

There is a provision called returning residents visa if you choose to return after 2 years. See,
https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

It is a big decision indeed and don't worry, you will settle well. Depending on where you are going, a whole new world of opportunities could open up for you and your family.

Cheers.
Cheers,
OR