ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American + Kiwi

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

annl
Newly Registered

American + Kiwi

Post by annl » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:58 am

I am an American with New Zealand permanent residency. I am married to a Kiwi. We want to work in Australia for 6-12 months.

Can anyone tell me where to find information regarding what visa I would need? Or perhaps I don't need one, being married to a Kiwi?

Thanks.
Ann

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 am

Can you get New Zealand citizenship?

annl
Newly Registered

Post by annl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:32 am

I don't think I can hold dual US and NZ citizenship. I'd rather remain a US citizen with NZ PR.

I've been in NZ for 2 years and a resident for 1, so it hasn't been long enough for me to get citizenship.

Ann

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 am

annl wrote:I don't think I can hold dual US and NZ citizenship. I'd rather remain a US citizen with NZ PR.

I've been in NZ for 2 years and a resident for 1, so it hasn't been long enough for me to get citizenship.
You can have dual US/NZ citizenship: http://www.richw.org/dualcit

However, you do need to have permanent residence for 5 years before you can get citizenship.

Prior to 2005 spouses of New Zealanders only had to wait 2 years but the rules were changed.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:13 pm

Several countries allow dual/multiple citizenship, e.g. US, Canada, Australia, NZ, UK etc.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:46 pm

Apply for a New Zealand citizen family relationship visa (see http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/461/index.htm). I'm not exactly sure as to the process you have to follow, but I'm certain you'll get a prompt response by contacting the Australian High Commission (www.australia.org.nz) regarding this.

Alternatively, if under 31 (I think), you, as a US Citizen may be able to apply for a working holiday visa to Australia. This was recently signed and allows a stay of up to 12 months. You are only allowed to work for an employer for 6 months (but still can work for the entire year if you wish).

annl
Newly Registered

Post by annl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, I'm over 31. So I wouldn't be eligible for the working holiday visa.

Thanks so much everyone for all the helpful advice. I really had no idea I could hold dual citizenship.