ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for Non EEA dependent parent of EU citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

travelling-show
Newly Registered

Visa for Non EEA dependent parent of EU citizen

Post by travelling-show » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi all,

I have read through the forums for the last 3 days and now opening this thread to see if someone might provide further advice. Infinitely grateful for any help at all.

I am an Irish citizen with a non-EEA parent.
My goal is to get him into Ireland.
My plan is to go to an EU country (other than Ireland), exercise my treaty rights, get us residence cards there and then return to Ireland under Surrinder Singh.

My first choice of EU country would be the UK. However, I am very nervous about the Home Office. They seem to be vehemently rejecting applications and taking their time doing so. It appears that "dependence" is something that can be as tough to prove as they want to. Apparently, they sometimes say: "you can go over to see your parent in a nursing home in their native country, but we're not giving them a family permit".

I was also considering Cyprus or Malta because they speak English. Truth is, being able to look after my father is so important to me, I will go anywhere and get a job as more or less anything for a while. I may even be able to swing self-sufficiency, depending on how much money is required.

Can you guys give me a steer in the right direction, based on any recent successes and general intuition? Where is a good place to move to and apply for a visa (the thing the UK call a Family Permit) for my father?

Thanks so much

Hamza2013
Member of Standing

Re: Visa for Non EEA dependent parent of EU citizen

Post by Hamza2013 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:04 pm

All the best travelling-show,

I am in similar condition, UK is not very easy to get visa for non-EU and yes you are correct they raise questions on dependencies.

HRH

Post by HRH » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 pm

All the best travelling show.
Hamza rightly said, it's not easy.

I, my wife & son (all UK nationals), can't even get my mum a normal Irish D visa to allow her entry in Ireland. :shock:
We have already wasted two months waiting for the decision, but no response.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... l#p1316541

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:44 pm

travelling-show wrote:Hi all,

I have read through the forums for the last 3 days and now opening this thread to see if someone might provide further advice. Infinitely grateful for any help at all.

Can you guys give me a steer in the right direction, based on any recent successes and general intuition? Where is a good place to move to and apply for a visa (the thing the UK call a Family Permit) for my father?

Thanks so much
You can get up to speed on free movement here:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf

You can find some country guides for Surinder Singh-ers here:
http://britcits.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/ ... guide.html

:!: You will need to check if Ireland entertains returning SS-ers who were self-sufficient in a.n.other EU country.
For example, the UK does not (only workers and self-employed are recognised under the SS route back into UK) - I don't know about Eire.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

travelling-show
Newly Registered

Post by travelling-show » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:30 pm

noajthan wrote: :!: You will need to check if Ireland entertains returning SS-ers who were self-sufficient in a.n.other EU country.
For example, the UK does not (only workers and self-employed are recognised under the SS route back into UK) - I don't know about Eire.
Thanks for pointing this out. I am surprised this could be an issue... No idea where I could even try and find this out.

I tried to find an Immigration solicitor (on the UK side) who would help. I tried to contact Mishcon de Reya among others, but they don't seem to be competely on the ball.
It appears that even at this stage I know more on some of the detail than they do, e.g. Ireland (like every other EU country other than the UK) doesn't require the Centre of Life clause to be fulfilled. Most of the info seems centred around people who come and wish to end up in the UK, making it a little more difficult.
As always, very grateful for your input, dearest members.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:14 pm

travelling-show wrote:
noajthan wrote: :!: You will need to check if Ireland entertains returning SS-ers who were self-sufficient in a.n.other EU country.
Thanks for pointing this out. I am surprised this could be an issue... No idea where I could even try and find this out.

I tried to find an Immigration solicitor (on the UK side) who would help. I tried to contact Mishcon de Reya among others, but they don't seem to be competely on the ball.
It appears that even at this stage I know more on some of the detail than they do, e.g. Ireland (like every other EU country other than the UK) doesn't require the Centre of Life clause to be fulfilled. Most of the info seems centred around people who come and wish to end up in the UK, making it a little more difficult.
As always, very grateful for your input, dearest members.
Centre of life is a UK wrapper around some of the EU core principles.

if your goal is back to Ireland then that is where you will find the answers to your questions.
And if you are lucky you may find they honour the purer EU concepts of free movement with no such impediments and hurdles to overcome.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Hamza2013
Member of Standing

Post by Hamza2013 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi travelling-show,

All the best with the process, unfortunately we have to cross the Centre of life wrapper :cry: