ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"Self- sufficient" with no CSI- is that illegal?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kiwi_fruit
Newly Registered

"Self- sufficient" with no CSI- is that illegal?

Post by kiwi_fruit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:41 am

Sorry if similar was already asked- like many I can't get my head around this CSI thing( turns out that even though I've lived in the UK for almost 10 years I haven't been "exercising the treaty rights" and can't apply for PR etc) All this time I've lived with my partner (British citizen). I was going to wait and see what happens in this Referendum now but it just crossed my mind- am I breaking some sort of laws if I don't exercise the TR, will I run into problems if say Brexit happens and I need to apply for visa, will they consider it an immigration offence or something?
Also, I know that ILR is for non- EEA people but if UK's no longer part of EU- would that be a possibility or does it also require the CSI?

secret.simon

Re: "Self- sufficient" with no CSI- is that illegal?

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:28 am

I can not find the thread now, but on another thread, somebody had opined that for an EEA citizen, living in the UK (or other EEA country) without exercising treaty rights would be unlawful, but not illegal.

I am fairly certain that EEA citizens cannot be deported for merely not exercising treaty rights.

I will wait for others, hopefully the author of the opinion on the other thread,to comment.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:10 am

This HO guidance on 'administrative removal' for not exercising treaty rights may be of relevance & interest:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... A_v8_3.pdf

Note admin removal for not exercising treaty rights (or for abuse of treaty rights) is evidently not the same as deportation.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am

"For example, an EEA national who repeats a cycle of leaving the UK shortly before their three month period expires, only to re-enter in order to benefit from a further three month’s period of residence, therefore being able to reside indefinitely without exercising Treaty rights." (p.10 of noajthan's link)
Sorry, off-topic but this is interesting...didn't know that this was even possible, thought one could only enjoy another initial three months right to reside after leaving for 6 months!
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:02 pm

So far as I can tell, the OP could do an English test, leave the UK and return and then apply for FLR(M), though until the application was lodged, she would be at risk of being administratively removed for abusing freedom of movement. After 5 years and a few thousand pounds, and passing LitUK, she would then have ILR.

Getting comprehensive CSI might be cheaper.

I hadn't realised that EU nationals could be administratively removed from the UK for doing visa runs. Has this been tested in the courts?

kiwi_fruit
Newly Registered

Post by kiwi_fruit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:33 am

Thanks guys, *somewhat worrying* food for thought. It's weird though, as I remember looking up the EU free movement rights 10 years ago, as I was settling in and I didn't come across CSI.
How unpleasant to realise I have a precarious status after considering UK home for many years now :?
Any ideas of how much would a cheapest policy be, approx, for somebody in their late 20s? I can't seem to find out without getting an actual quote. Is it even worth getting, as I can't backdate it?

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:52 am

Don't worry about it mate, I've been here my whole life and had no idea about CSI until about 6 months ago. Obviously it's now far too late as I've finished my studies etc. I now have permanent residence as I've been working since 2008.

Are you still self sufficient?