ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility for RoA CoE

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ckpquiz
Newly Registered

Eligibility for RoA CoE

Post by ckpquiz » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi all,

Can someone guide on eligibility for Right of Abode certificate of entitlement for kids:

Q1 - Are dependent kids (from outside UK) eligible for RoA if main applicant is ILR holder or British Citizen?

vinny

Re: Eligibility for RoA CoE

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 pm

vinny wrote: Significantly, people born from 1983 have the Right of Abode iff they are British.
ROA4 Basis of a person’s claim to right of abode wrote:The only way to acquire the right of abode since 1 Jan 1983 has been by becoming a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ckpquiz
Newly Registered

Post by ckpquiz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks for the update; follow up query:

Will my kids (born in India) be eligible to apply (from India) for Right of Abode instead of ILE after I get british passport ?

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:52 pm

They will be able to apply CoE ROA from the moment you have been naturalised and got the Naturalisation Certificate after attending the ceremony.

ckpquiz
Newly Registered

Post by ckpquiz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks for the update

would the following scenario impact the Kids eligibility on RoA?

Q1 - Main applicant due for british citizenship in Dec 2016. Are the kids born before Dec 2016 still qualifies for RoA from Dec 2016?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:44 pm

If your children are born AFTER you become British (after your ceremony), then they can apply for RoA or CoE.

If they are born before you attend your ceremony, they are not automatically British and cannot apply for RoA or CoE and will have to apply for child settlement visas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:08 pm

lynxukauq wrote:They will be able to apply CoE ROA from the moment you have been naturalised and got the Naturalisation Certificate after attending the ceremony.
This advice is wrong. CR001's advice is spot on.

The situation is quite nuanced.

It depends on where the child is born and the status of the parents on the day of the child's birth.

If one parent has ILR on the day the child is born,
  • If child is born in the UK
    • child is born a British citizen and can apply for CoE-RoA if the child has another citizenship as well.
    If child is born outside the UK
    • child gets the status of the less-privileged parent and can register as a British citizen at discretion when the second parent naturalises.
If one parent has British citizenship on the day the child is born,
  • the child is born a British citizen and can apply for CoE-RoA if the child has another citizenship as well.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:43 pm

secret.simon wrote:The situation is quite nuanced.
But in some ways it is quite simple.

All children (i.e. minors) who have right of abode are British citizens.

There are other people who have right of abode. They are either British citizens or are Commonwealth citizens over 30 years old. Not all Commonwealth citizens over 30 years old have right of abode; the majority do not.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:06 pm

secret.simon wrote:
lynxukauq wrote:They will be able to apply CoE ROA from the moment you have been naturalised and got the Naturalisation Certificate after attending the ceremony.
This advice is wrong. CR001's advice is spot on.

The situation is quite nuanced.

It depends on where the child is born and the status of the parents on the day of the child's birth.

If one parent has ILR on the day the child is born,
  • If child is born in the UK
    • child is born a British citizen and can apply for CoE-RoA if the child has another citizenship as well.
    If child is born outside the UK
    • child gets the status of the less-privileged parent and can register as a British citizen at discretion when the second parent naturalises.
If one parent has British citizenship on the day the child is born,
  • the child is born a British citizen and can apply for CoE-RoA if the child has another citizenship as well.
Yes the advice given by myself is partly incorrect because I forgot to add that this is only applicable if the child is born after the Citizenship ceremony but OP does not necessarily need to have British passport.

Important thing to remember is that you need to be naturalised before the birth of the baby otherwise if the baby is born beforehand then the OP will need to go through the route of other visa to bring the child back to UK