ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA living in UK/travel/EEA family permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Valderin
Newly Registered

EEA living in UK/travel/EEA family permit

Post by Valderin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi so the gov page says:
Applying as a family member or extended family member
The EEA citizen you’re joining must either:

be in the UK already
be travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application
If they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months they must either:

be a ‘qualified person’ (working, looking for work, self-employed, studying or self-sufficient)

have a permanent right of residence
I am in UK since January and I want to apply for my wife's EEA Family Permit asap. I am starting my work in april( now doing all the paperwork and stuff)
the questions is..what would happen if i would decide to go home for Easter(for like week or so)? Would that absence in UK restart that 3 month period?Or I shouldn't be worried about that?

Maybe this is dumb question but it just came to my mind and i wouldnt really want more delays..

oh if that changes anything I got my NIN few days after i arrived to UK

noajthan

Re: EEA living in UK/travel/EEA family permit

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:48 pm

Valderin wrote:Hi so the gov page says:

I am in UK since January and I want to apply for my wife's EEA Family Permit asap. I am starting my work in april( now doing all the paperwork and stuff)
the questions is..what would happen if i would decide to go home for Easter(for like week or so)? Would that absence in UK restart that 3 month period?Or I shouldn't be worried about that?

Maybe this is dumb question but it just came to my mind and i wouldnt really want more delays..

oh if that changes anything I got my NIN few days after i arrived to UK
You are allowed time off for good behaviour.

Start your work in April then wife can apply for FP. Should be fine.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Valderin
Newly Registered

Post by Valderin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm

thx, but what I am wondering.. since i came i was self sufficient and looking for job. I got the job, just starting in april but basicaly she could apply in April. Thing is how my absence would count?When i come back i would have to wait again 3 months or i will just have a minor setbak of a week or two? Sorry, I am just confused with that because i dont know how they "count" those 3 months..

Just to be safe I could probably call Home Office also...

cheers

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 am

Valderin wrote:thx, but what I am wondering.. since i came i was self sufficient and looking for job. I got the job, just starting in april but basicaly she could apply in April. Thing is how my absence would count?When i come back i would have to wait again 3 months or i will just have a minor setbak of a week or two? Sorry, I am just confused with that because i dont know how they "count" those 3 months..

Just to be safe I could probably call Home Office also...

cheers
Your wife can apply for a FP as soon as you (both) meet the requirements.
There is no need to wait 3 months, if you had been exercising treaty rights from day 1 she could have applied on day 1.

If you really are a qualified person in the 'self-sufficient category' already (that is, including holding CSI) then that means wife can apply for FP now.

Valderin
Newly Registered

Post by Valderin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:06 am

ok..Maybe I am missing something..but..if my wife can apply even now, why it says that i have to be in UK for at least 3 months and be a qualifed person?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:16 am

Valderin wrote:ok..Maybe I am missing something..but..if my wife can apply even now, why it says that i have to be in UK for at least 3 months and be a qualifed person?
You have some misunderstandings here.

When you arrive in UK you have a 3 months 'grace period' during which you can do as you wish.
This is as per EU law.

After 3 months maximum you should be exercising treaty rights as a qualified person.
That means as:
  • worker or
    self-employed or
    student or
    self-sufficient or
    jobseeker.
That does not mean you have to wait 3 months before exercising treaty rights!
If you wish to do so (& can do so, for example you get a job) you can start exercising treaty rights from day 1. This makes you a qualified person.
Therefore you could be in a position to apply for FP earlier than 3 months.

Simply apply for the FP when you meet the requirements for a FP and have the appropriate supporting evidence.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:19 am

You can get up to speed on EU free movement here:
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/doc ... 013_en.pdf

Valderin
Newly Registered

Post by Valderin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:52 am

thx a lot. I will read that carefully in the morning..but let me ask you 1 more question so i would know if am going in right direction.

So basicaly that would mean that they say about 3 months because in that time i dont have to be qualified person. So, if I am qualifed i don't have to wait those 3 months, i.e i can apply for FP as soon as I am qualified?

thx for help, i will go through it again in the morning with fresh mind and read that EU document u provided

cheers

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:08 am

Valderin wrote:thx a lot. I will read that carefully in the morning..but let me ask you 1 more question so i would know if am going in right direction.

So basicaly that would mean that they say about 3 months because in that time i dont have to be qualified person. So, if I am qualifed i don't have to wait those 3 months, i.e i can apply for FP as soon as I am qualified?

thx for help, i will go through it again in the morning with fresh mind and read that EU document u provided

cheers
Yes that is quite a good understanding now.

Valderin
Newly Registered

Post by Valderin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:53 am

thank you very much. Once again this forum was very helpfull. :)