ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT PROBLEMS WITH MY NAME TO APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPORT

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SAORI1318
Newly Registered

URGENT PROBLEMS WITH MY NAME TO APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSPORT

Post by SAORI1318 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:48 am

hello to all

I have just received the approval letter of the citizenship which says that the certificated of naturalisation has been issued in my new name (married one) but in order to apply for a British passport i will need to change the name that appear in my foreign passport but I already have the surname of my husband. I come from south american background and when i got married i added to my father and mother surname the surname of my husband like in Spain but i think home office do not understand that or may they just do not want to accept : example:

Patricia Maria Morales Salas de McDonald = Morales(father) Salas (mother) de MCDonald (husband) that is how is in my passport

Patricia Maria McDonald (HUSBAND) is how is it in the certificated of naturalisation as well as some of the documentation i enclosed to the home office in order to get the naturalisation.

The thing is in my country of origin there is no posible to change my father and mother surname and use only my husband one because is the legal way is it and you cannot use that one surname. You only add a third surname when you got married and the name of my husband appears but not in the first place as i mentioned before.
I have not received the invitation for ceremony yet but im very concern about what will happen after it. I am not going to give up my foreign non eu nationality because my country accept the dual nationality.

Must be another way to proof that Im the same person, i do not know if is even possible just for now to apply for British passport on my previous name ( even the certificated of naturalisation is with the married one) and then in the future with a deep pool just change it. I regret now not just use my name as it was on my passport to avoid all this inconveniences.

All opinions would be welcome.

suzuka23

Re: URGENT PROBLEMS WITH MY NAME TO APPLY FOR BRITISH PASSP

Post by suzuka23 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:28 am

Congratulations Saori,
When did you receive your approval, I will add it on the timeline spreadsheet.

You would think that being naturalised will be the end of all immigration hassle. I am sure the forum will give you some suggestions.

All the best and congrats again

SAORI1318
Newly Registered

Post by SAORI1318 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:15 am

thank you, i got the approval letter yesterday but not the invitation for the ceremony. I have just update the timeline.
I really hope somebody in the forum could give me some information for this new issue.
cheers

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:03 am

Hi Saori - I totally sympathise with you. I had a similar story as I removed my middle name from my certificate of naturalisation and wanted the 'new' name in the British passport. However, HMPO would not allow that as I had a foreign passport which included my full/old name. What you need to do is follow the link below to see that others have done:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 0-380.html

But to summarise:

1) Try to change name on certificate to match foreign passport. Then apply to HMPO. That way, everything consistent and everyone is happy.

2) Get certificate as is. Apply to HMPO along with a deed poll saying you have given up old name and want new name. New name needs to be same as name on foreign passport. This way HMPO may just approve and issue British passport. In some cases, HMPO may ask you to go back to Home Office to get certificate name amended. But you need to push back and send them this print-out:

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-in ... -documents

If you also look at my previous posts, you will get an idea of what I and others have done. I successfully applied for my British passport recently. All the best.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:44 pm

The solution seems to be to include evidence in your application that you cannot change the name on the passport of your original nationality. That way, you will get a British passport in the name of "Patricia Maria McDonald" along with the observation, "The holder is also known as Patricia Maria Morales Salas de McDonald".

It would be helpful if someone could collate all the information, along with a note on the relevant nationalities. (The passport office ought to do this, but that's a pipe dream.) I'm not sure that all Spanish-speaking countries are the same. It's the sort of job it would be nice to abuse Wikipedia for.

Different countries have different complexities. For example, it seems to be much easier for a Thai to change from maiden to married name if she married in Thailand than if she married in the UK, but in either case she can make the change from the UK.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:04 pm

SAORI1318 wrote:hello to all

I have just received the approval letter of the citizenship which says that the certificated of naturalisation has been issued in my new name (married one) but in order to apply for a British passport i will need to change the name that appear in my foreign passport but I already have the surname of my husband.

Must be another way to proof that Im the same person, i do not know if is even possible just for now to apply for British passport on my previous name ( even the certificated of naturalisation is with the married one) and then in the future with a deep pool just change it. I regret now not just use my name as it was on my passport to avoid all this inconveniences.

All opinions would be welcome.
This is a well-known problem.

For example see:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... den%20name

There is a lack of join-up thinking between HO and HMPO.
HO will naturalise you in married name.
HMPO will insist you straighten out your foreign passport (whether its possible to do so or not).

HMPO is likely to play hardball.
As you will see from recent posts in the above thread, HMPO is not likely to use common sense and simply issue an observation on passport without a determined campaign and strong case made by you.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.