ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation (marriage) Referees requirement and employmen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Naturalisation (marriage) Referees requirement and employmen

Post by wiltsduo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi there

Am filling in the form now and on Section 5 Referees and Identity, must one of the referee be strictly as they demanded ie professional standing e.g. minister of religion (so many are not religious these days); civil servant or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor. I don;t know how many of us have access to a solicitor/ accountant/ civil servant in your social circle. Any advice?

Two: I am currently unemployed (for around 2 years now, not on benefits) and wonder what to put in the Details of your employment. If I put in unemployed, will it be detrimental?

Thanks!!

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation (marriage) Referees requirement and emplo

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:08 pm

wiltsduo wrote:Hi there

Am filling in the form now and on Section 5 Referees and Identity, must one of the referee be strictly as they demanded ie professional standing e.g. minister of religion (so many are not religious these days); civil servant or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor. I don;t know how many of us have access to a solicitor/ accountant/ civil servant in your social circle. Any advice?

Two: I am currently unemployed (for around 2 years now, not on benefits) and wonder what to put in the Details of your employment. If I put in unemployed, will it be detrimental?

Thanks!!
1) See the list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ersons.pdf

- you must know somebody.
Example, a pharmacist, a post office official, an optician, a pub landlord (licensee) etc etc.

2) No worries.
Employment is not a qualification for naturalisation.
(My wife is/was 'homemaker').
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Surely you know a fair few people who qualify as "manager/personnel officer (of limited company)". I got my work colleague who had the word "manager" in her job title to do the honours. She likewise helped out with refereeing the passport application.

Remember that the referee has to know you personally. So, a neighbour who is a manager in a company counts.

The referee who is on the list of professionals also does not need to be a British citizen. It can be any legal resident of the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Post by wiltsduo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Thank you for prompt response!

What about my Hong Kong Neighbour who runs a fish and chips shop? They are British Citizens now and have been for 8 years now, will he suffice?

Thanks!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Is he registered as the director of a VAT registered company? If he is, yes, he qualifies.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Post by wiltsduo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:32 am

secret.simon wrote:Surely you know a fair few people who qualify as "manager/personnel officer (of limited company)". I got my work colleague who had the word "manager" in her job title to do the honours. She likewise helped out with refereeing the passport application.

Remember that the referee has to know you personally. So, a neighbour who is a manager in a company counts.

The referee who is on the list of professionals also does not need to be a British citizen. It can be any legal resident of the UK.
I managed to find my old driving instructor and he is happy to help. The other is the chippy in the village.

Thanks!

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Post by wiltsduo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:36 am

Update:

Just managed to get an appointment with the local authority for the Nationality Checking Services. A word of advice to those who are trying to beat the April extortion price hike, try ringing a few council near you as mine ran out of appointments and I have to go to another borough.

They will ask question like are you applying as marriage (you need to be married 3 years) or residency which was what I applied under since I held an ILR visa since 2007.

Finally, one last bit which is a bit odd is that they advised me not to travel from date of submission for 2 months as applicants can/ will be called up for biometrics registration during that period, just thought I share and let people know.

Fingers crossed!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 am

The fee increase takes effect from the 18th March. Therefore the last day for NCS applications on the current fee would be the 17th, and postal applications would need to be sent on the 16th (by a guaranteed next day service so it is received on the 17th).

I hope your appointment is before the 18th :D

It is well known that applicants must submit biometric information for naturalisation.

wiltsduo
Newly Registered

Post by wiltsduo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:06 pm

ohara wrote:The fee increase takes effect from the 18th March. Therefore the last day for NCS applications on the current fee would be the 17th, and postal applications would need to be sent on the 16th (by a guaranteed next day service so it is received on the 17th).

I hope your appointment is before the 18th :D

It is well known that applicants must submit biometric information for naturalisation.
Damn it. Just noticed that they have upped the fee before April 2016! Felt robbed as appointment is on 23 March as that is all they have around Wiltshire/ Dorset/ Somerset/ Bath area.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:08 pm

You are also free to travel once application is submitted but would suggest you don't go abroad for 2 or 3 months in one go as you will missed the biometric enrollment letters.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.