ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Maiden' name showing on certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ramsay

'Maiden' name showing on certificate

Post by Ramsay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Hello

We were told three weeks ago my wife's application was successful and now have the letter asking us to book with our local authority.

On the letter it shows that my wife's maiden name will be appearing on the certificate. I asked on the application form for it to be in our married surname.

Is this something I have to change via the Home Office or can the registrar do it please?

Cheers in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 'Maiden' name showing on certificate

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:23 pm

What name is in her foreign passport?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ramsay

Post by Ramsay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Cheers for reply

My wife arrived on Nepali Travel documentation as she was a Tibetan Refugee. These are only issued if travelling and valid for a year so there wasn't the option to change her original travel document to show the marriage name.

The HO issued her 2 year visa and ILR visa in this name too. As there was no valid Travel Document the visa was attached to HO headed paper A4 folded in four (can't remember what the document was referred to as off the top of my head).

Understand they issue the Cert in the name as showing on the official docs but now wondering how easy is it to change to married name as all our bank documents are in that? Alternatively, is it easier for her to revert to original maiden name, become a 'Ms' and update our bank instead?

Cheers in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Easiest way is to apply for passport in Maiden name.

Do a deed poll (online search will give you the process), change her name and reapply for a new passport in her married name and then update all other places.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ramsay

Post by Ramsay » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Cheers for this.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:56 pm

To understand the difficulty in changing her name on the passport application, read through the thread below. HMPO has made it harder and that is why I have suggested the route I have.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 83170.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi ramsay - A lot of us have faced issues with middle/maiden name when applying for UK passport. However, I think your problem is probably easier to resolve. Since your wife has no valid passport/travel document with the maiden name, you may find it easier to get a British passport with the 'new' name.

1) You will need to contact Home Office ASAP ( Citizenship.support@gsi.gov.uk ) to get your name changed in certificate (before ceremony). They may or may not charge you a £162 fee. In your case, you should fight for a FREE change as you had mentioned on your application form but they did not comply. You may be required to send along a deed poll as proof of name change from maiden to married name. If you do not get name changed on certificate, the registrar at ceremony cannot help you.

2) If you are luck with your HMPO case worker, you may be able to skip step 1 and apply for UK passport with 'new' name. In my case, I was able to get British passport without changing name on certificate. I sent a deed poll (made it myself) and sent to HMPO along with GOV.UK print out. See: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-in ... -documents

In any case, you may find it easier to go with maiden name. But if you are really fussed about changing name, do it now rather than at a later stage. All the best.

Ramsay

Post by Ramsay » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks to both of you for your help. Despite being in the final stages of this process from beginning in 2007 I was still naïve enough to think this would be really easy.

Might just change the bank and council tax back to her maiden name to save faffing about - prefer her maiden name anyway.

As an aside much thanks to this site and all who run it/post on it as without it I would have never got to this stage without self combusting is frustration.

Ramsay

Post by Ramsay » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Hello

We applied for passport in Married name and have been knocked back but they're relooking at it.

Could someone point me in the direction of the rule please?

I have an email from Nepali embassy stating that because she was never a citizen they would no longer issue any paperwork in her name. Passport office require original docs to be updated but hopefully this, with an explanation that she could no longer get a stateless person's document as she now has a state, is enough for them to issue the docs in her married name although I'm less than confident.

If not the marriage certificate is showing her maiden name so could resubmit in this name which I thought would be an easy solution. Only issue with this is I need to issue proof of her using her maiden name when we changed everything to her 'married' name with ILR application in mind. Thought this would be the easy bit :shock:

Ramsay

Post by Ramsay » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Hello

We applied for passport in Married name and have been knocked back but they're relooking at it.

Could someone point me in the direction of the rule please?

I have an email from Nepali embassy stating that because she was never a citizen they would no longer issue any paperwork in her name. Passport office require original docs to be updated but hopefully this, with an explanation that she could no longer get a stateless person's document as she now has a state, is enough for them to issue the docs in her married name although I'm less than confident.

If not the marriage certificate is showing her maiden name so could resubmit in this name which I thought would be an easy solution. Only issue with this is I need to issue proof of her using her maiden name when we changed everything to her 'married' name with ILR application in mind. Thought this would be the easy bit :shock: