ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for child born in uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nhv
Newly Registered

Application for child born in uk

Post by Nhv » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:18 am

Hi,

Need urgent help plz. I came to UK in dec 2010 on tier1 general and completed 5 yrs in dec 2015, but becoz of personal situations and ignorance of rules around child registration, i did apply for my ILR last week and got it. However we were blessed with a child in dec 2015, now when i spoke to UKBA regarding registering my kid for citizenship, they suggested i can try sending NS form and try my luck to see if my kid is eligible for a british passport directly, without going through the MN1 process, as long as i can prove that even though i did not apply for ILR, i was eligible for ILR before my kid was born. Is this true?
I am planning to apply MN1 for my kid before the new fees applies, i.e. before 18th march
So can someone kindly respond to this asap

Thanks
NHV

vinny

Re: Application for child born in uk

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:53 am

Nhv wrote:now when i spoke to UKBA regarding registering my kid for citizenship, they suggested i can try sending NS form and try my luck to see if my kid is eligible for a british passport directly, without going through the MN1 process, as long as i can prove that even though i did not apply for ILR, i was eligible for ILR before my kid was born. Is this true?
No.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:23 am

This is why everything told to you by UKVI on the phone should be taken with a pinch of salt. It is not exactly a secret that a child born in the UK where neither parent has settled status will not be British. To even suggest doing an NS application is ridiculous and would be a waste of £162. In fact I am quite worried that an advisor is giving out incorrect information on even the most basic of nationality matters :shock:

Once at least one of the child's parents has ILR/PR, the child is entitled to register as a British citizen on form MN1 under section 1(3) of the British National Act 1981. The fee for this is increasing to £925 from 18th March.

The thread that vinny has linked to above has all the relevant information :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:30 am

as long as i can prove that even though i did not apply for ILR, i was eligible for ILR before my kid was born. Is this true?
You seem confused. Your statement above is so flawed. ILR has to be applied for. You don't acquire it automatically like EU citizens acquire PR. If you don't apply for ILR when you qualify or are eligible, then it is no ones fault but your own if your child was born after you could have applied.

You will need to register the child on MN1 in the normal process. Being eligible for ILR does not confer citizenship to your child, it is the actual application and granting of ILR that matters.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nhv
Newly Registered

Post by Nhv » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Thank you for all your quick replies. Even I felt it is ridiculous and I know it was my mistake not to get my PR done before when I was eligible.Thanks again appreciate all your help