ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working in EU - What to do after Citizenship ceremnoy

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hasher768
Newly Registered

working in EU - What to do after Citizenship ceremnoy

Post by hasher768 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi,

My ceremony is on the 16th of Jan. I work in Finland and travel every week between London and Helsinki. If I return my BRP, would I be able to travel on the Citizenship certificate or should I not return my BRP, continue using it and apply for the passport and explain it to the Immigration officer on each return till I get my passport. Please Help.

Thanks

Khurram

noajthan

Re: working in EU - What to do after Citizenship ceremnoy

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:13 pm

hasher768 wrote:Hi,

My ceremony is on the 16th of Jan. I work in Finland and travel every week between London and Helsinki. If I return my BRP, would I be able to travel on the Citizenship certificate or should I not return my BRP, continue using it and apply for the passport and explain it to the Immigration officer on each return till I get my passport. Please Help.

Thanks
Khurram
BRP will be invalidated on naturalisation and needs to be returned after the ceremony (on pain of £1,000 fine).

You simply need to plan accordingly and get your British passport.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:14 pm

£1,000 fine for not returning your BRP within 5 days of the ceremony.

Edit: Pipped at the post by Noajthan. :roll:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:51 pm

hasher768
Newly Registered

Post by hasher768 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Thanks both for the answer.

Is there any other way of circumventing it. I checked the urgent passport thing but cannot actually do it becuSe it's a first time adult passport.

Maybe take the hit of the fine and hope that they will let me enter everytime on it?

Is that even an option?

Thanks

Khurram

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:02 pm

hasher768 wrote:Thanks both for the answer.

Is there any other way of circumventing it. I checked the urgent passport thing but cannot actually do it becuSe it's a first time adult passport.

Maybe take the hit of the fine and hope that they will let me enter everytime on it?

Is that even an option?

Thanks

Khurram
Nice start as a British Citizen....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:07 pm

hasher768 wrote:Thanks both for the answer.

Is that even an option?

Thanks

Khurram
You misunderstand.
The BRP will be invalidated as soon as the 'fat lady sings' at the oath-taking ceremony and you are a citizen.
If any IO sees your invalid BRP at a border they are likely to take it off you.

Why would you intentionally take on a criminal conviction that could impact security clearance, credit ratings & etc for years to come.

Presumably HO has brought this rule in to stop invalid BRPs sloshing around the system & being misused.
Unfortunately they are unlikely to make an exception just because you have a job to get to.

Just take a few weeks vacation and sort your passport out.

hasher768
Newly Registered

Post by hasher768 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks Noajthan for the advice. Looks like that's the only option.

Btw, Wanderer, thanks for the pun. I was actually looking for a solution...

Thanks

Khurram

hasher768
Newly Registered

Post by hasher768 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi All,

Just FYI

Thanks for the support. I got the naturisation on 30th March. Apllied for the passport on 31st. Got the interview done yesterday and just got the message that the passport is on its way.

Pertaining to this question that I posted, I was told during the ceremony on 30th March that the rule to send the BRP back did not apply to me at all. I had applied on 8th Jan and the form was changed on 12th Jan so I never had to fill Question 6.11.

Having said that, I have not sent the BRP back. However, have not travelled as I just got my Pakistani passports returned day before yesterday, so couldnt have travelled either. The point I am trying to make it if anyone applied before 12th Jan, they do not need to send their BRPs back unless Home Office asks them to do so.

Thanks

Khurram

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Apart from the issue that whether or not they applied before 12 Jan, the BRP will be void following the ceremony. Rather like a cancelled bank card which can no longer be used for purchases.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

arfaisal
United Kingdom

Post by arfaisal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi

Check the letter you received for approval of Citizenship from Home Office. It clearly says send back BRP after you get your Neutralization certificate.

Best Regards

hasher768
Newly Registered

Post by hasher768 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks Casa,

Thanks ArFaisal. My letter did not say anything and that's why Ibstarted this thread initially as I saw on the website but nothing on any communication from the HO.

Thanks

Khurram