ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of residence

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Right of residence

Post by Mannygreen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Hello,

I am an EEA National ( also British citizen ) married in Malta in 2007. My wife is a non EEA national. We came to Uk in 2012 ( because we were married in Malta I had to exercise my right as a treaty worker even though I am a British citizen). We will soon proceed with a divorce in Uk.
After the decree absolut is in hand, what form would my wife need in order to stay in the Uk? Is it the Right of Residence form? She is in employment and can support herself.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
E

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Re: Right of residence

Post by Mannygreen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:23 pm

I know it seems straight forward but I just want to have her apply for the correct EEA form. She is a bit insecure and needs reassurance with these things.

Thanks

E

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:39 pm

ROR
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Post by Mannygreen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:55 pm

CASA, Thank you for your help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Welcome. Come back if you have any further queries.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Post by Mannygreen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:09 am

CASA,

The ROR form.... how can I find this on the gov.uk website. Has the system changed and the forms under a new name? Thanks

Emanuel

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:58 am

Mannygreen wrote:CASA,

The ROR form.... how can I find this on the gov.uk website. Has the system changed and the forms under a new name? Thanks

Emanuel
This should be it:
https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/retain ... -residence
(Casa, not CR001)

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Mannygreen wrote:I know it seems straight forward but I just want to have her apply for the correct EEA form. She is a bit insecure and needs reassurance with these things.
I don't blame her for feeling insecure. Is she covered by Surinder Singh, or by the misapprehension that dual national British/non-British EU nationals had a right to the privileges of non-British EU nationals (the 'Irish route')? The Irish route for dual nationals was terminated in 2012, with transitional arrangements for existing beneficiaries, though probably after you arrived, so you might have been using that. I trust she hasn't simply been apparently covered by concealment of the fact that you're British.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Mannygreen wrote:Hello,

I am an EEA National ( also British citizen ) married in Malta in 2007. My wife is a non EEA national. We came to Uk in 2012 ( because we were married in Malta I had to exercise my right as a treaty worker even though I am a British citizen). ...
Thank you.
E
Did spouse have a UK-issued RC issued in or before 2012?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Re: Right of residence/Wife's circumstances

Post by Mannygreen » Sun May 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Thank you all for your help during my previous posts. I have another question that I would like to ask..It is of a sensitive nature. When my wife was in Malta before we got married she was using her maiden name (family name), she overstayed by a few weeks and was deported. She then changed her surname (by legal deed) and then re-entered the country. After a short time we were married and the story is as you know (divorce on the way hopefully)
Was this an illegal procedure? (I am asking as this would possibly nullify my marriage, or would it?)

Thanks

Emanuel

noajthan

Re: Right of residence/Wife's circumstances

Post by noajthan » Sun May 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Mannygreen wrote:Thank you all for your help during my previous posts. I have another question that I would like to ask..It is of a sensitive nature. When my wife was in Malta before we got married she was using her maiden name (family name), she overstayed by a few weeks and was deported. She then changed her surname (by legal deed) and then re-entered the country. After a short time we were married and the story is as you know (divorce on the way hopefully)
Was this an illegal procedure? (I am asking as this would possibly nullify my marriage, or would it?)

Thanks

Emanuel
No idea about the name swap. Did wife re-enter Malta on a legitimate passport?

If you remain married until 2017 wife may acquire PR simply by virtue of residence in UK for 5 years.
(Under EU law its not necessary for even a married couple to co-habit).
That is assuming you successfully completed Surinder Singh route via Malta and wife has a UK RC issued on that basis?

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Post by Mannygreen » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

The procedure was legal and the passport was legitimate.

Mannygreen
Newly Registered

Post by Mannygreen » Sun May 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Just read the Surinder singh case, yes we went via this route and she has a Uk RC.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun May 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Mannygreen wrote:Just read the Surinder singh case, yes we went via this route and she has a Uk RC.
So as a retuning SS-er you don't need to exercise treaty rights (ie in your own country);
- accordingly, the dependent family member/spouse just needs to live here.

If that works out until 5th anniversary of your return to UK wife should acquire PR.
(Assuming no prolonged absences from UK in past 5 years).
Otherwise its finalise divorce and then she applies for a ROR RC.