ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is 30k good enough in Leeds?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

arsenalsri

Is 30k good enough in Leeds?

Post by arsenalsri » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi,

I am in discussion with a recruitment consultant for a job in Leeds. The salary being discussed about at the moment is 30K. I am wondering if this would be enough in Leeds for a couple with an infant?

A supplemental question though would be a couple of years later when I go for HSMP extension, I would be 32, and I could fall short of the needed 75 points for Tier 1. 30 pts for education, 30 pts for salary and 5 pts for UK earning would fetch me only 65 pts.

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:46 pm

I can't comment on the cost of living in Leeds for a family of three, but according to the current framework for HSMP, a 32yo applying for FLR (HSMP) would get 5 age points. Given your scenario, you'd need to have earned at least 32k (for 35 points) by the time you apply for FLR, and that's making the possibly dubious assumption that the income point thresholds don't move between now and 2009.
AG

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:50 pm

I work in Leeds and 30k is more than most earn locally.

However, contracting will get you 2/3 times more in leeds, which somehow seems to have become The North's Silicon Valley...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

pktamil2007

Post by pktamil2007 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:00 am

Is 30K before tax or after tax?

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:04 pm

I would guess before. I am not yet sure.

chihhungkao
Newly Registered

Post by chihhungkao » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:12 pm

The rule for age point under tier 1 for extending your HSMP from their website:

Points for age awarded on entry will be carried forward under the extension test. Separate provision will be made to accommodate those who are applying under the extension test from pre-points system categories and who have not previously been awarded points for age under the Highly Skilled: General sub-category.

Does this mean whatever point you awarded during your first application will be the point for age when you renew your HSMP?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

rvag
Newly Registered

Post by rvag » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:06 am

Based on the document released a few days and posts from other seniors on this board, the points you got for age in your initial hsmp application would be carried forward to your extension also.

rvag
Newly Registered

Re: Is 30k good enough in Leeds?

Post by rvag » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:07 am

arsenalsri wrote:Hi,

I am in discussion with a recruitment consultant for a job in Leeds. The salary being discussed about at the moment is 30K. I am wondering if this would be enough in Leeds for a couple with an infant?

A supplemental question though would be a couple of years later when I go for HSMP extension, I would be 32, and I could fall short of the needed 75 points for Tier 1. 30 pts for education, 30 pts for salary and 5 pts for UK earning would fetch me only 65 pts.
BTW, I guess you are not there in UK yet, how come you managed to get a job? can you provide some pointers pls.

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:44 pm

Yes I am still in India and I still haven't got the job. The consultant called me and had a discussion and it is still in the stage of discussion due to the holiday season.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm

arsenalsri wrote:Yes I am still in India and I still haven't got the job. The consultant called me and had a discussion and it is still in the stage of discussion due to the holiday season.
30k is before tax and is shit pay in any part of the country for a highly skilled professional (unless you are umarried and have somewhere to live for free). I think you should try contract work, as Wanderer suggested.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 pm

I wouldn't call £30k 'shit' at all. I think that is a pretty good starting salary, and that taking this job will be a good way to find your feet in the UK. If you have a job to come to before you arrive then you will be a lot better off then most HSMP holders, and I am sure you will have peace of mind knowing that you will be able to pay rent and look after your family.

£30k will make you quite comfortable in Leeds. If you don't like the job or find a contracting position, you can always leave.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:53 pm

VictoriaS wrote:I wouldn't call £30k 'shit' at all. I think that is a pretty good starting salary, and that taking this job will be a good way to find your feet in the UK. If you have a job to come to before you arrive then you will be a lot better off then most HSMP holders, and I am sure you will have peace of mind knowing that you will be able to pay rent and look after your family.

£30k will make you quite comfortable in Leeds. If you don't like the job or find a contracting position, you can always leave.

Victoria
Sound advice that.. :)

James.Dunlop
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by James.Dunlop » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:24 pm

Victoria's advice is sound

£30k is about 50% more than the Uk average salary, and is a great improvement on what most people make outside the UK.

After a year in this role, you may be in a good position to look elsewhere and make even more.

Kind regards

James
Last edited by James.Dunlop on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Dunlop

mailto:james.dunlop@jdunlop.com

arsenalsri

Post by arsenalsri » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Although nothing is finalised as yet, I am still trying to push for 35k. My consultant tells me the higher my salary the more money he makes, so he is going to get me the best bargain. Even at 30 k, I was thinking the same thing as Victoria, that I will atleast have ajob when I land in the UK and not wait for 2-3 months after reaching UK.

Anyway, let's hope the New Year brings a lot of cheer and joy to everybody.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:00 pm

arsenalsri wrote:Although nothing is finalised as yet, I am still trying to push for 35k. My consultant tells me the higher my salary the more money he makes, so he is going to get me the best bargain. Even at 30 k, I was thinking the same thing as Victoria, that I will atleast have ajob when I land in the UK and not wait for 2-3 months after reaching UK.

Anyway, let's hope the New Year brings a lot of cheer and joy to everybody.
Bear in mind you'll be paying 40% tax on that extra 5k so it's not so good as it looks! Better in ur pocket of course but with NI too that 5k is around 50 quid a week.

The agent is looking after his own pocket, believe me, don't trust any of them.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:03 am

Each tax payer has a personal allowance of about 5.2K this year and 5.4k next year, so the 35K mentioned here falls within the upper limit of the 20% tax band...go over above this limit and you end up paying 40% tax in any amount in excess of this limit (currently about 38K).

Wanderer wrote:
arsenalsri wrote:Although nothing is finalised as
Bear in mind you'll be paying 40% tax on that extra 5k so it's not so good as it looks! Better in ur pocket of course but with NI too that 5k is around 50 quid a week.

The agent is looking after his own pocket, believe me, don't trust any of them.

rkrohela
BANNED

Which consultant!

Post by rkrohela » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:34 pm

Hey friend,

Congrats on getting that fabulous job, please do let me know the name of the consultant whom you went through, if you want you can mail at this ID. I am right now in London on HSMP, looking for job in Sales/Customer Service/Banking. Have 2 yrs exp in Banking Sales.
Rohit the Purohit -- HSMP Qualified Banker.