ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I study during HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

technician

Can I study during HSMP

Post by technician » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:39 am

Hi moderators,

I want to know whether is it allowed to join some course in an open university during the HSMP??

I enquired the University in this regard and they said that the person should be present in UK personally and living in UK in order to study via correspondence or distance education mode. well i dont know about the fees charged. Will it be at par with those of British residents or I will have to pay more being from overseas.

Does my HSMP visa allow me to do so?? Besides working in some another profession during the day time.

Since I am a technical personnel, UK education gives me more chances of absorbability in my field.

Plese reply as I have to make a decision.

TECH
Team work- Nurturing Talents

Alagomeji

Post by Alagomeji » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:42 am

Jolly good question, especially since I am planning to do an M.Sc next fall. Will I be able to renew my HSMP during the degreee, or do I have to wait until I graduate to re-start the process?
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, BUT UNBOWED

INVICTUS ; William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:16 pm

The HSMP is for employment/ self employment in the UK over its duration with incidental study not being an issue. If you want to study full time then get a student visa or expect a 'deserved' rejection at yr 1 completion renewal or ILR application.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:03 pm

If you only study, you will have no chance of renewing the HSMP visa, if you study and work, you might have a chance.
You will pay as any other foreigner, I pay twice as much as a EU or UK resident for my master. Unless you have ILR you will pay double.
I agree with Kayalami, if you want to study get a student visa, if you want to work then work.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

technician

Post by technician » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:32 am

try-one wrote:If you only study, you will have no chance of renewing the HSMP visa, if you study and work, you might have a chance.
You will pay as any other foreigner, I pay twice as much as a EU or UK resident for my master. Unless you have ILR you will pay double.
I agree with Kayalami, if you want to study get a student visa, if you want to work then work.
Hi try-one,

Are you sure with the following line in your posting
"If you only study, you will have no chance of renewing the HSMP visa, if you study and work, you might have a chance. "

I never said that I will only being study on HSMP.
I mean to say that besides working on HSMP I do also wish to study in a course in open university. www.open.ac.uk

Kindly provide feedback
Tech
Team work- Nurturing Talents

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:46 pm

Not a problem, you can do whatever you want, as long as you have some proof that you are economically active, you can set up your own company, study, teach, preach, beach...... it does not matter, just DON;t expect the same charges from the university as they charge the natives.... you will pay double.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

jamesmad
Newly Registered

studying while on HSMP?

Post by jamesmad » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:09 pm

The HSMP is for employment/ self employment in the UK over its duration with incidental study not being an issue. If you want to study full time then get a student visa or expect a 'deserved' rejection at yr 1 completion renewal or ILR application
Kayalami, Just went through your comment about studying while someone is present on HSMP visa.

I have been working in my chosen profession since the first month, I arrived in UK and I will hopefully get my extension next year. My earnings are adequate as well. I may go for 1-year MBA programme next fall or in 2006. I don't have any question about paying double or the same what natives pay. I would like to know, can I pursue 1 year full time study programme without changing my visa status ? I can show enough savings to support myself without recourse to public funds.

If your answer is 'No', Can I pursue an executive MBA programme while doing my job at the same time (ofcourse , without changing visa status) ?
If I start again with my work after finishing MBA and continue with my career, would there be any implications with ILR ?

regards,

JM.

Sher

An answer ....

Post by Sher » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:59 am

Having stayed in the UK for 3 years, one is eligible for the domestic fee structure. As far as my knowledge goes, this includes stay on workpermit and HSMP.
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll: