ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PR card plus 1 year treaty rights

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nataliedelmar
Newly Registered

PR card plus 1 year treaty rights

Post by nataliedelmar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed here already, but I just called UKVI and the answer I received was very confusing.

Basically, what they said was that if you’ve been exercising Treaty Rights for 6+ years, once you’ve got your document, certifying permanent residence, you can apply for Naturalisation straight away. However (and this is the confusing bit), as the document proves only 5 years, you would have to (again) prove the last 6 years, or at least the 1 year before the 5 years covered by the permanent residence card.

In my case, I’ve been exercising Treaty Rights for over 9 years and we proved these 9 years when applying for a permanent card. I asked if this would be on their system, as I really don’t see a point to prove same period twice, but they said that they don’t hold this data, so I’ll need to prove it again.

Really frustrating and misleading.

Does anyone here knows anything about it at all (or have applied recently on the same terms)?

Thanks!

noajthan

Re: PR card plus 1 year treaty rights

Post by noajthan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Absolute nonsense.

If you ever get the urge to call the HO helpline take phone off hook and lie down in a darkened room until the urge passes.

More often than not the advisor is incorrect (as in this case) moreover if you act on their 'advice' they are not held responsible for your mistake.

See http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... y#p1289482
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nataliedelmar
Newly Registered

Post by nataliedelmar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Ok, so you think I should ignore it and only provide the PR card, without proving any periods at all? As long as they have it recorded on their system, we should be fine, but wondering how often they actually look at it, or just refer to the documents in the application pack...

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:49 pm

Ok, so you think I should ignore it and only provide the PR card, without proving any periods at all? As long as they have it recorded on their system, we should be fine, but wondering how often they actually look at it, or just refer to the documents in the application pack...
Yes, just the DCPR. The date you achieved PR is recorded on the Caseworker Information Database (CID) against which the HO double-checks the date you acquired PR status. If applying via the NCS, they will also check your PR date with the HO before submitting your application.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:08 pm

Just remember to provide proof of residence in the UK after you acquired PR to ensure you meet the residence requirements for naturalisation.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:09 am

LilyLalilu wrote:Just remember to provide proof of residence in the UK after you acquired PR to ensure you meet the residence requirements for naturalisation.
^ this. I got my PR in 2012, but only applied for my DCPR this year, so I still had to prove I had been resident for the last 4 years.