ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship if a partner is British

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hamidg
Newly Registered

British Citizenship if a partner is British

Post by Hamidg » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:47 am

Hi all,

I have heard those who are married to a British citizen, don't need to wait for a year after ILR and they can submit their application right after permanent residency.

Although I don't believe this is to be true but can someone clarify this to me whether by rejecting or accepting it?

Many thanks
Hamid

vinny

Re: British Citizenship if a partner is British

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Hamidg wrote:I have heard those who are married to a British citizen, don't need to wait for a year after ILR and they can submit their application right after permanent residency.
That's correct, 3(c).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Hamidg
Newly Registered

Post by Hamidg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:32 am

Vinny,

Many thanks for your reply. Would you be able to elaborate a bit more please? The link you've sent me is confusing.

Many thanks

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:36 am

You do not have to hold ILR for 12 months before applying if you are married to a British citizen.

Section 3(c) states
that on the date of the application he was not subject under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which he might remain in the United Kingdom;
Which means you only need to be free of immigration time restrictions on the date of your application, so you could apply on the date you are granted ILR.

Hamidg
Newly Registered

Post by Hamidg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am

Ohara,

Thank you so much for your prompt and positive answer. This will save a year for me!!!

Do we have to register our marriage in the UK or a certified translation of our marriage certificate will be enough???

Appreciate your answer to my last question.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:58 am

Hamidg wrote:Do we have to register our marriage in the UK No

or a certified translation of our marriage certificate will be enough??? Yes
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.