ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re: Spouse Visa Extension

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raoraorao
Newly Registered
India

Post by raoraorao » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Dear Friends

My wife's spouse visa is getting expired in August 2016. I am bit lost touch with recent guidelines, hoping that one of you might comment/correct/advise me on the following please.

Background:

I was on ILR visa(10 years route) when we got married in 2013, India.
My wife got spouse visa(form:VAF4A) in India.

Spouse visa valid from : 20/11/2013
Spouse visa valid until : 20/08/2016
But she actually moved to UK on : 24/01/2014

I became naturalised on : 05/11/2014

My wife took my surname, changed her signature, so we updated her Indian passport, as well as updated her new details at UKBA(using Transfer Of Conditions form), she got her first Biometric card (valid from: 20/08/2016)

My question is:

1) Does my wife should extend her spouse visa(using form:FLR M), wait for at least 5 years to get ILR, then apply for Citizenship an year or 2 years later?

2) Or is there any other route she can take to settle or get citizenship sooner? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that spouse of a British citizen can request for ILR/Citizenship after living together for 2 or 3 years? (Not the spouse visa applied before 9 July 2012, 2 years route). Is there any such provision exist, instead of going for 5 years route? I took citizenship in 11/2014, so she completes 2 years as spouse of British citizen by end of 11/16.

Please let me know if there is any options I could use.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Cheers
Rao

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:09 pm

1. Yes, she needs to extend her visa on FLR(M) for a further 2.5 years. Then apply for ILR and once granted, can apply for citizenship based on 3 years residence as spouse of BC.

2. No, there is no other quicker route. She can apply for BC based on 3 years residence but she needs ILR to be able to apply for BC. To get ILR, she needs 5 years residence.

When she extends her visa, she will also have to pay the £500 immigration health surcharge and meet all the requirements (financial and English and proof of cohabitation).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

raoraorao
Newly Registered
India

Post by raoraorao » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Many thanks for clarifying dear @CR001

Am I right in understanding that once she got ILR approved, she can immediately apply for BC based on 3 years, or is there any time limit that she should wait after ILR?

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers
Rao

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Yes she can, as long as she meets all the standard requirements.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

raoraorao
Newly Registered
India

Post by raoraorao » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks dear @Casa for confirming it. Cheers
Casa wrote:Yes she can, as long as she meets all the standard requirements.