ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General - Dependent Visa Process

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

haroonalvi
Newly Registered

Tier 2 General - Dependent Visa Process

Post by haroonalvi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Background

I am from Islamabad, Pakistan currently working in London on a Tier 2 visa and have recently got married and got my wife’s visa approved. I have been asked by several people about the process and decided that it might be a good idea to share it on a public forum for everyone else to see.

I was on a Tier 2 visa for 3 years by the time I got married back home in Islamabad, Pakistan. During our wedding we signed a Nikkah Nama (contract) which made our wedding official. Following that I came back to London with a plan to come back for a proper full-blown wedding a month later over the Christmas break.

Marriage Registration Certificate and NIC

Within a week of our marriage my wife told me that they went to the NADRA office and got a Marriage Registration Certificate from there. The next step was to get her a new NIC (National Identity Card) with her new surname. This experience turned out to be a nightmare to say the least. NADRA would not make her NIC without my presence and said that we both needed to make new NICs which would allot me a new Khandaan (family) number and put her on it. This meant that the process was put on hold until I came back to Pakistan for my next visit.

As I arrived I took my wife to the NADRA office at G-8 markaz which had huge queues and no chance of getting in. Thankfully the security guard there told us about a NADRA office in Blue Area (opposite Poly Clinic hospital) which only dealt with the relatively expensive, chip based NICs. As those cards are expensive and the office being less known, hardly anyone goes there which meant that we breezed through the process in no time. The card arrived in a week which I collected to complete Step 1.

Passport

Next step was her new passport (on her new surname). The passport office only takes payments in their NBP (National Bank of Pakistan) bank account so we had to get into huge queues to get that payment done. I however was in no mood to queue up so I found a man sitting outside the bank, paid him Rs 500 and got my payment done in minutes. With the payment done I went to the passport office (in G-10 Markaz) where I was told that it had been closed for the day (it might have been 2 in the afternoon). The security guard was kind enough to tell me that the office opens at 8:30am in the morning.

Using that crucial bit of information we went to the passport office the next day at 8:10am, which meant that we had just 5 people standing ahead of us. With just a handful of people leading us we went in and were done with the process in 20 minutes.

A bit of advice for those going through this process, make sure you go to the TCS counter there and ask them to deliver the passport at your home, which incurs a small fee but ensures that you would not have to queue up again for collection. Another point to note is that it would be a good idea to have a copy of your marriage registration certificate with you (which isn’t mentioned anywhere) but they asked us for one and would not submit my wife’s application until it was provided.

TB Test

The passport arrived in 48 hours and we were now ready for my wife’s TB test –which is mandatory for those visiting UK for more than 6 months. To get an appointment we sent an email to uktbappointments@iom.int asking for the earliest possible appointment (I was leaving for London in a couple of days now). They asked for some information and gave us an appointment the day before I was scheduled to leave. We deposited the requested amount in Standard Chartered Bank F-7 Markaz and were in G-6 for the TB test appointment the following morning. The TB test process went smoothly and the result was with us on the same day.

Visa Application Form

As I left for London we completed her visa application form together (it was all online at https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk). The visa application form did not have a lot of help so there were things that I had to figure out myself which I would like to share below. Her visa type was the following:

Visa Type: Tier 2 (General) visa
Visa Sub Type: General Partner, up to 3 years

Another point to add is that in the visa application form I am the main applicant (even though it is her visa that we are applying for) and my wife is the dependent applicant.

Documents

Once we filled out the form I decided to meet a barrister (in London) to get the list of documents that my wife would need to provide with her visa application (their website was ambiguous). As per his advice I provided the following documents along with some additional documents which weren’t asked and prepared the following:

• My passport photocopy attested by Notory (F-8 Markaz)
• My UK residence permit attested by Notory (F-8 Markaz)
• My 6 month bank statements
• My 6 month pay slips
• My tenancy agreement form
• A signed no objection certificate from my landlord (mentioning that I have exclusive access to my room and that it is big enough to accommodate myself along with my spouse)
• A letter from my employer (standard one that confirms that I work there and how much I am paid)
• A signed sponsor letter from myself in which I wrote a romantic summary of our relationship (it was an arranged marriage but who says it can’t be romantic :D )
• My boarding passes from both Pakistan trips (Nikkah trip and the full-blown marriage trip)
• Random WhatsApp screenshots (one from each month of our relationship)
• Wife’s passport (latest and the previous one)
• 2 passport size photographs (with full name written in capital letters on back with a ball point pen)
• Marriage registration certificate
• Her O-Levels English result (I don’t think this was necessary)
• Nikkah photos (5 of them)
• TB test certificate
• Filled visa application form
• Receipt of all fees

A photocopy of each document was also provided.

Ordering

To make things easier for the visa application officer we went one step ahead and divided the documents into 6 groups named:

• Evidence of funds
• Main applicant details
• Main applicant residency
• Evidence of marriage
• Evidence of continued relationship
• Dependent applicant details

After this my wife pinned these piles up separately using paper clips. She also pinned a piece of paper on each pile containing the category name e.g evidence of funds and so on as shown below.
Documents.jpg
Documents.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Submit

Following this she got an appointment at Gerry’s visa office G-9 Markaz Islamabad and submitted the application (where surprisingly there were zero queues).

This was entailed by a wait that lasted exactly 15 days after which she received a sms asking her to collect her application. Upon submitting a copy of her NIC there they handed her the application which contained the good news that her visa was approved. Only 15 days of anxiety.

O_Relly

Re: Tier 2 General - Dependent Visa Process

Post by O_Relly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Congrats! and thanks for sharing. Quite thorough and nicely organised. It's quite easy and life is made simple for case workers handling applications such as this one. Cheers.
Cheers,
OR

nik72
Newly Registered

Post by nik72 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Congratulations. I would say it's quite easy guide to follow. Thanks for sharing. The only thing i felt is if you share the time frames that would give a readers brief picture of the process.

msi2015
Newly Registered

Post by msi2015 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:01 am

assalam o alaikum,

brother Haroon can you guide me about accomodation letter and marriage certificate requirements??

1. Do we also need any property inspection report from council/solicitor to prove that my accommodation is suitable for dependent (in addition to other docs. for this u suggested) ? bcz I am sharing 3 bedroom property with 1 other person but will move to new place after spouse joins me here. ??

2. Do you just submitted the Marriage Registration Certificate endorsed by union council (which got details about spouses in urdu and english on same paper) ? Do we also need original urdu nikah nama (as some posts suggest that we need original plus english trans.) ?

Thanks in aDvance.

haroonalvi
Newly Registered

Post by haroonalvi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi O_Relly,

I appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Hi nik72,

I tried to edit my post and add dates to it but that unfortunately does not seem to be possible.
Please feel free to enlighten me if I am missing anything.

Hi msi2015,

Following are the answers to your questions:

1. Do we also need any property inspection report from council/solicitor to prove that my accommodation is suitable for dependent (in addition to other docs. for this u suggested) ? bcz I am sharing 3 bedroom property with 1 other person but will move to new place after spouse joins me here. ??

Ans. I did not provide any property inspection report from anyone so I personally do not think that it is mandatory at all. As for sharing the property, there was no place in my tenancy form (which I provided with the visa application) stating that I am sharing the place or renting the entire flat so I do not think that sharing the house would be a problem as long as you have your tenancy application form and a letter from the landlord permitting you to bring your wife and mentioning that you have exclusive access to your room (both documents should be signed with a date).

2. Do you just submitted the Marriage Registration Certificate endorsed by union council (which got details about spouses in urdu and english on same paper) ? Do we also need original urdu nikah nama (as some posts suggest that we need original plus english trans.) ?

Ans. I just provided my Marriage Registration Certificate which I got from Nadra and that is all, no nikkah nama, no union council endorsement, nothing. Just the Marriage Registration Certificate from Nadra.

I hope this answers your questions.
If you have any more please let me know.
I do hope that your spouse gets her visa as soon as possible and without any hiccups.

-Haroon

Kenneth
Newly Registered

Post by Kenneth » Mon May 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi,

I am also applying for a Visa from Lahore Pakistan for Tier 2 General Partner as a dependent of my Wife who lives and works in London. Her tier 2 visa is General Visa for 5 years which started from 29th Aug 2014. We have paid fees under Tier 2 General partner up to 5 years now, however almost only 3 years are left. If we would have applied in August 2016 would we have selected General partner up to 3 years or do we always have to select the category of main applicant irrespective of how any years are left on main applicants visa.

Also currently my wife is living in room in a shared accommodation and we are planning to move into a separate studio or flat once i move to UK. Is the tenancy agreement a must for applying visa. Have there been any rejections on the basis of not submitting a tenancy agreement.

I would also like to know if main applicant's passport and visa copy is required to be notarised.

Would appreciate if someone can reply to these queries as I have an appointment at Gerry's on 1st June at 9:30 in the morning.

Thanks,
Kenneth

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Tue May 31, 2016 8:37 am

you will still need to apply for 5 years, even if one year of her vbisa is left, as she applied under 5 years route.
you dont need a tenancy agreement. In fact there is nothing stopping u from living in the same accomdation.. if i were u, i would attach a letter from landlord saying she can have her partner live in the same house and attach that.
no need of any attestation, they have that information in their record.

Kenneth
Newly Registered

Post by Kenneth » Tue May 31, 2016 11:48 am

Hi thank you for your response, It's very helpful. Our dependent application includes a child as well so was thinking from that point of view that they might consider one room not feasible. Although it is not mentioned in the guidance anywhere however a lot of people have been emphasising on it. We have also not attached any English language tests for myself as we believe those are not required to be shown for dependent.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm

Kenneth wrote:Hi thank you for your response, It's very helpful. Our dependent application includes a child as well so was thinking from that point of view that they might consider one room not feasible. Although it is not mentioned in the guidance anywhere however a lot of people have been emphasising on it. We have also not attached any English language tests for myself as we believe those are not required to be shown for dependent.
How old is the child?

See Guidance on Accommodation - Overcrowding (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Kenneth
Newly Registered

Post by Kenneth » Tue May 31, 2016 1:49 pm

He is 6.5 years.

BarLane
Newly Registered

Post by BarLane » Tue May 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi,

My wife submitted her supporting documents at the VAC in Lahore (Tier 2 - General Partner). The VAC Officer just took the photocopies and returned all the original documents back to her. Even the original TB Test was also returned and they just took the photocopy of it.

They mentioned about a recent rule change and now only photocopies of the original documents will be taken and original ones to be returned. Can you please tell if you know about this new policy change. Hopefully it doesn't impacts the decision.

Regards,
BarLane

aneeque27
Newly Registered

Post by aneeque27 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 am

Hi BarLane,

keep us posted once your application is successful. i am also bit curious on returning the original documents the same day. I am going to apply for my wife as well and want to know if this is the case.

Many Thanks,

BarLane wrote:Hi,

My wife submitted her supporting documents at the VAC in Lahore (Tier 2 - General Partner). The VAC Officer just took the photocopies and returned all the original documents back to her. Even the original TB Test was also returned and they just took the photocopy of it.

They mentioned about a recent rule change and now only photocopies of the original documents will be taken and original ones to be returned. Can you please tell if you know about this new policy change. Hopefully it doesn't impacts the decision.

Regards,
BarLane

Kenneth
Newly Registered

Post by Kenneth » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi, I went to submit my application as Lahore visa centre and was asked to photocopy the wedding pictures as well. I have received an email that if you have applied for a settlement visa then sponsor has to submit documents to Sheffield. I believe that is just a generic email they send out to everyone as our visa is a tier 2 dependent visa. Is anyone able to confirm that please. Thanks