ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

johnch121
Newly Registered

Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by johnch121 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:48 am

My wife became an Birtish Citizen in February and we never had time to apply for a UK passport as we could not change the date of our flights and they where booked long before we even applied for citizenship. Which she got much quicker than I was expecting.

What I am asking is has anyone recently traveled using a Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate to renter the UK? My wife still has her BRP as we never new it had to be returned so she can show the immigration officer at Heathrow that also. Has anyone got any idea if this is going to be a big headache or if it will be simple upon our return.

Thank you for any help

Chinho2k

Re: Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by Chinho2k » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:27 am

Ignorance of the law is no defence. See post above about returning BRP. As for travelling on naturalisation certificate, in my opinion a very risky move especially if the destination you're travelling to decides not to let you board the flight without the necessary visa as I'm sure they will say the certificate is not enough evidence.

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:51 am

It can't really be ignorance when a person is not told that they have to return the card, nothing was put in the letter from the home office. From what I understand this was only required from Jan this year

Is someone expected to check the home office website every day to check such things?

Boarding will not be a problem with still having the BRP as she has traveled many times on such card without problem

Chinho2k

Post by Chinho2k » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:56 am

You do know that it now needs to be returned so in my opinion you can travel at your own risk but I sure as hell wouldn't want to risk that hefty fine. Good luck buddy :-)

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:06 am

Chinho2k wrote:You do know that it now needs to be returned so in my opinion you can travel at your own risk but I sure as hell wouldn't want to risk that hefty fine. Good luck buddy :-)
surely if they really want the cards back they inform people until such time there is very little chance of anyone ever being fined for something that they would be unaware of especially in this case where they changed the rules in Jan send out letters confirming citizenship but do not request the card to be returned. So one would assume that they do not require it back and the applicant can keep it.

Chinho2k

Post by Chinho2k » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:23 am

Unfortunately some of the rules don't make sense to me either, English is my first language but because of the rules I still had to sit for a language test. The rules do clearly state that you cannot use your BRP after you become a citizen. I wouldn't want to test a clear rule like that one.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:35 am

The requirement to return ILR BRP after ceremony was only added to the AN form in January 2016 and I don't believe HO are currently enforcing the rule retrospectively.

It is a fact however that ILR ceases to exist once you become a British citizen and the BRP is therefore immediately invalid as a travel document and it is entirely at your own risk if you choose to attempt to re-enter the UK on one once you are naturalised.

You have up to 90 days to attend the ceremony after approval, surely you can use this to your advantage in order to travel if you need to. It does seem a bit odd that so many people are naturalising yet the first thing they want to do afterwards is leave the country for a long period of time. :?

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:12 am

ohara wrote:The requirement to return ILR BRP after ceremony was only added to the AN form in January 2016 and I don't believe HO are currently enforcing the rule retrospectively.

It is a fact however that ILR ceases to exist once you become a British citizen and the BRP is therefore immediately invalid as a travel document and it is entirely at your own risk if you choose to attempt to re-enter the UK on one once you are naturalised.

You have up to 90 days to attend the ceremony after approval, surely you can use this to your advantage in order to travel if you need to. It does seem a bit odd that so many people are naturalising yet the first thing they want to do afterwards is leave the country for a long period of time. :?

I know that a person can not be refused entry to the UK with using said document as many people have already done so and you can't be refused entry to your own country. I am just unsure on how long you could or would be kept waiting

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 am

Since all of this is still new and no one have shared the experience so far about their problems at the airport, its hard to say anything. All I can say is, please do share your experience after your travel so some poor soul like yours could benefit from it.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:06 am

Guys- I managed to enter UK with my BRP over one month after my ceremony. Sorry, I am on mobile and unable to type too much. Perhaps check my previous posts if you want details. But in short, it can work. All the best.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:21 am

It may work (although no guarantee), but what about the £1,000 fine that applies to non-return of the BRP within 5 days following the BC ceremony? Although this doesn't apply to you if you were granted BC in 2015, it will for many others since the Rule change.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Perpglo
Newly Registered

Post by Perpglo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:21 am

This thread is exactly what I'm looking for! Booked travel over 6 months ago and I have recently been naturalised. I thought it had to be done in 21 days once you receive the approval letter, I guess I read it wrong. It didn't say I had 90days to organise ceremony. So I paid privately for one because the soonest group one was over a month away. Then I find out you lose ILR and I have one week to get a British passport, which is impossible, before I fly out. Also had no idea about having to return BRP card in 5 days as used old form and have received no warning about this at ceremony. Found out from a friend.

So the question is: is it possible to reenter UK with BRP and foreign passport and naturalisation certificate? Does anyone have any recent experiences? Didn't realise becoming a British citizen would cause so many issues, lol.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:33 am

- You have 21 days to book the ceremony but 90 days to attend it.

- Naturalisation certificate is highly unlikely to be accepted by any airline. You probably won't even make it to the UK border.

- While the BRP is technically not valid as a travel document after the ceremony, it is possible it will still be accepted by airlines and at the UK border to get you into the country. It's up to you to decide whether it is worth a £1000 fine though. HO really are not messing around with this one.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:36 am

JohnnyZee wrote:Guys- I managed to enter UK with my BRP over one month after my ceremony. Sorry, I am on mobile and unable to type too much. Perhaps check my previous posts if you want details. But in short, it can work. All the best.
See above and other comments in this thread. It probably depends much on the co-operation of the Immigration Officer at the port of entry. + the issue of the £1,000 fine for non-return within 5 days of the ceremony. I believe that there also reports of airlines now having the facility to check the validity of the BRP on check-in outside of the UK.

Edit: Beaten to it by ohara :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Perpglo
Newly Registered

Post by Perpglo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:03 am

Does the information stored on the brp card change after naturalisation? Just seems crazy to think if I'd waited to naturalise until after I'd travelled, I wouldn't be in this position of stressing about using foreign passport and BRP. I'd like to hear from people who've naturalised and used BRP to reenter UK and if any questions were asked. I'm pretty sure that legally it would be difficult for them to impose a fine seeing as I'd have to have read on the website that returning the card within 5 days is required now. They could try but I'd appeal against it. Should only be on applications from January that this applies to and be some leeway for previous applicants.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:19 am

Perpglo wrote:Does the information stored on the brp card change after naturalisation? Just seems crazy to think if I'd waited to naturalise until after I'd travelled, I wouldn't be in this position of stressing about using foreign passport and BRP. I'd like to hear from people who've naturalised and used BRP to reenter UK and if any questions were asked. I'm pretty sure that legally it would be difficult for them to impose a fine seeing as I'd have to have read on the website that returning the card within 5 days is required now. They could try but I'd appeal against it. Should only be on applications from January that this applies to and be some leeway for previous applicants.
The information doesn't change...the card simply becomes void. Think of it in the same way as a credit/bank card which has been cancelled. It wouldn't continue to function. As ohara has already pointed out...it may not be a problem at the UK Border, but you may not make it that far. It's your decision.
(Casa, not CR001)

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Guys - we really need to stop the scaremongering here. Comments such as "HO really are not messing around with this one" are not consistent with what we have seen so far. I have not heard of any case where someone has been fined £1,000 for not returning the BRP (esp. pre 2016 AN form applicants). So please let's try to be helpful and avoid unnecessary conjectures/suppositions.

Based on my case, I was able to come into the UK with my BRP. I also carried my Nat certificate in case there were any issues. I had no problems boarding plane as the airlines had no way of checking BRPs. Also, airport immigration officer told me my BRP info was still on system 6 weeks after my ceremony.

If anyone wishes to travel on their BRP, they should do it at their own risk. But what I have seen/observed, it is rare that you will have issues boarding plane and gaining entry into the UK. All the best.

Perpglo
Newly Registered

Post by Perpglo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks JohnnyZee! I realise I'm taking a risk doing this, but I see no other way except cancelling the trip which has been booked and planned months in advance. Didn't think the citizenship process would be so quick and totally my fault for not knowing naturalisation invalidates ILR, but I'm hoping I can explain the situation on returning to the UK if questions are asked. :| Out of interest, was it recent that you travelled and re-entered the UK with your BRP after naturalising?

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Perpglo wrote:Thanks JohnnyZee! I realise I'm taking a risk doing this, but I see no other way except cancelling the trip which has been booked and planned months in advance. Didn't think the citizenship process would be so quick and totally my fault for not knowing naturalisation invalidates ILR, but I'm hoping I can explain the situation on returning to the UK if questions are asked. :| Out of interest, was it recent that you travelled and re-entered the UK with your BRP after naturalising?
No worries. Yes, I travelled end of Jan. All the best.

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:07 am

ohara wrote:The requirement to return ILR BRP after ceremony was only added to the AN form in January 2016 and I don't believe HO are currently enforcing the rule retrospectively.

It does seem a bit odd that so many people give the wrong information out in forums, letter from the Home office you have 21 days from the date of the letter which can take over a week to arrive from when dated to make an appointment so you most people it would not be possible to travel first as you suggest

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Many members arrange for someone to open the post for them while they are away. A simple phone call from anywhere in the world is all it takes to book a date for the ceremony. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Casa wrote:Many members arrange for someone to open the post for them while they are away. A simple phone call from anywhere in the world is all it takes to book a date for the ceremony. :|

Someone may well do that but the reference was that you have 90 days which one would assume is meant to be from receiving your letter which is not the case you have 21 days to book your appointment and many places try to get you to have you ceremony as soon as.

The point of the post was to see if anyone had used there naturalisation Certificate to return to the UK not to get some of the answers which people have posted.

It is known for a fact that and person can not be refused entry into a country they are a citizen of, so in that respect the naturalisation Certificate proves this. I just wanted to know what sort of if any delays there would be at Heathrow.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 pm

johnch121 wrote:
Casa wrote:Many members arrange for someone to open the post for them while they are away. A simple phone call from anywhere in the world is all it takes to book a date for the ceremony. :|

Someone may well do that but the reference was that you have 90 days which one would assume is meant to be from receiving your letter which is not the case you have 21 days to book your appointment and many places try to get you to have you ceremony as soon as.

The point of the post was to see if anyone had used there naturalisation Certificate to return to the UK not to get some of the answers which people have posted.

It is known for a fact that and person can not be refused entry into a country they are a citizen of, so in that respect the naturalisation Certificate proves this. I just wanted to know what sort of if any delays there would be at Heathrow.
I was simply responding to your post.
(Casa, not CR001)

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:03 pm

johnch121 wrote:It is known for a fact that and person can not be refused entry into a country they are a citizen of, so in that respect the naturalisation Certificate proves this. I just wanted to know what sort of if any delays there would be at Heathrow.
Really? My understanding is that the UK has signed but not fully ratified a convention to that effect. Indeed, the Immigration Directorate Instructions Chapter 1 – Section 1 Right of Abode Paragraph 3.3 says:
A passenger seeking to enter the United Kingdom and claiming to have the right of abode, but who is unable to produce any of the documentary evidence noted in paragraph 3 (above) or is subject to the restrictions on exercise of the right of abode mentioned in paragraph 2, should be treated as subject to control. Such a person should be examined in order to establish whether or not he qualifies for leave to enter. If, for example, he is claiming entry for settlement and the Rules require the production of an entry clearance, then refusal would follow if he is not in possession of such an entry clearance.
So, according to the instructions (and Immigration Rule 12), a claim to be a British citizen not backed up by a British passport or a certificate of entitlement is to be ignored. The requirement to present a passport or certificate of entitlement was introduced to prevent delays caused by people presenting other documents.

The standard refusal formula is
You have claimed to have the right of abode in the United Kingdom but you have not produced a United Kingdom passport describing you as a British citizen or as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies with the right of abode; and you do not hold a certificate of entitlement".

johnch121
Newly Registered

Post by johnch121 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 am

Richard W wrote:
johnch121 wrote:It is known for a fact that and person can not be refused entry into a country they are a citizen of, so in that respect the naturalisation Certificate proves this. I just wanted to know what sort of if any delays there would be at Heathrow.
Really? My understanding is that the UK has signed but not fully ratified a convention to that effect. Indeed, the Immigration Directorate Instructions Chapter 1 – Section 1 Right of Abode Paragraph 3.3 says:
A passenger seeking to enter the United Kingdom and claiming to have the right of abode, but who is unable to produce any of the documentary evidence noted in paragraph 3 (above) or is subject to the restrictions on exercise of the right of abode mentioned in paragraph 2, should be treated as subject to control. Such a person should be examined in order to establish whether or not he qualifies for leave to enter. If, for example, he is claiming entry for settlement and the Rules require the production of an entry clearance, then refusal would follow if he is not in possession of such an entry clearance.
So, according to the instructions (and Immigration Rule 12), a claim to be a British citizen not backed up by a British passport or a certificate of entitlement is to be ignored. The requirement to present a passport or certificate of entitlement was introduced to prevent delays caused by people presenting other documents.

The standard refusal formula is
You have claimed to have the right of abode in the United Kingdom but you have not produced a United Kingdom passport describing you as a British citizen or as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies with the right of abode; and you do not hold a certificate of entitlement".

certificate of entitlement I.E Naturalisation Certificate.

It should be remembered that the absence of evidence to establish a claim to the right of abode is not, in itself, a ground for refusal of entry