ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British, moving to Portugal with Indian spouse

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Happiness
Newly Registered

British, moving to Portugal with Indian spouse

Post by Happiness » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so please bear with me!

I am British, married to an Indian Citizen for 3 years. I have lived with my husband abroad for two and a half years, firstly in Kenya, where we got married and now in India. My husband does't want to live in U.K, although we meet the language and financial requirements. So our compromise is moving to Europe.

The Portuguese Embassy here in Delhi have issued my husband a Schengen visa and I used EU Directive 2004/038/EC to exercise my right to freedom of movement. So we didn't pay visa fees or attach any proof of finances, work, accommodation, flights or hotels, just a copy of my passport and our original marriage certificate, oh and a firm but polite covering letter with reference to the Directive, plus copies of pages from it relevant to us. They didn't quibble.

So we will be arriving in Portugal on 21st April 2016.

I would really appreciate members answers, comments and suggestions on the following questions:

1. We will have to reside in Portugal continuously for 3 months and only then can we will submit an application for resident cards for us both or can we apply earlier? 3 months would take us to 22nd July 2016, after the referendum but hopefully before any changes to the rules actually start to be enforced.

2. I will need to go to U.K for approx 4 days (15 May to 19 May) during those first three months for a private medical appointment, if I get a letter covering this from my Practitioner, would we still be o.k? Also I think I would not get any departure or arrival stamps in my British passport anyway????

Thanks ever so much for reading my post and I look forward to your kind comments.

Best wishes to you.

Jane20231
Mood:
Ireland

Re: New EU deal: Free-movement rights gone?

Post by Jane20231 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:56 am

Hi,

I just want to know that after how many days you got the Portuguese Visa ? for your husband under directive 2004/38/EC

noajthan

Re: British, moving to Portugal with Indian spouse

Post by noajthan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Happiness wrote:...

I would really appreciate members answers, comments and suggestions on the following questions:

1. We will have to reside in Portugal continuously for 3 months and only then can we will submit an application for resident cards for us both or can we apply earlier? 3 months would take us to 22nd July 2016, after the referendum but hopefully before any changes to the rules actually start to be enforced.

2. I will need to go to U.K for approx 4 days (15 May to 19 May) during those first three months for a private medical appointment, if I get a letter covering this from my Practitioner, would we still be o.k? Also I think I would not get any departure or arrival stamps in my British passport anyway????

Thanks ever so much for reading my post and I look forward to your kind comments.

Best wishes to you.
1) Apply when you qualify. No need to wait 3 months.

2) You are allowed time out of Portugal for good behaviour. Not sure why you think a medical letter is necessary.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Aimar

Post by Aimar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:00 pm

When you arrive in Portugal you and your spouse would need to go along to the "Financas" or the local tax office with a proof of address and your ID to obtain a NIE number.

Once you have that your NIE number, you the Brit should go to the local "Camara" or city hall with your ID, NIE and proof of address to apply for your Certificado do Residencia, you pay about 15 Euros and you are asked to come back the following day or so, depending on what city/town you are applying in.

Your spouse needs to book an appointment with "SEF", the immigration service, download the application forms for Cartao Residencia of a spouse of an EU citizen from the SEF site, the documentation required is fairly straightforward, proof of address, ID's NIE, marriage certificate (make sure it is properly attested) and proof of activity.

You can do this at any time no later than 4 months after your arrival in Portugal.

faruq
Newly Registered

Post by faruq » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:49 am

Portugal sef is not so simple as they say .
I am one of the victim